Author Topic: cough cough.. a video.. cough..  (Read 13983 times)

Offline draken413o

• Backpacker
Re: cough cough.. a video.. cough..
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
It's alright..

Like I said.. I just video taped stuff that I am able to do currently. The things I've not been able to do are... more creative.. I assure you.. but it's just hard to get it dialled enough to film..

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »
I dont hate the fact that the x steam is played out. I could name 5 people i could ride with on a daily basis that do this trick allmost with every link. I think what frustrates me is the part where the majority of riders cookie cut the links that are put into that trick.

?uest

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 04:37:55 PM »
Tim Knoll,  not everyone that is riding flat just to “innovated new tricks” all the time. Most are doing it cause its fun.  Trends come and go, what matters is that they are riding and supporting flat. Do you really think that all that darkside stuff is new and innovated? To me its just  variations of what the Chad Degroot did back in the day. You really need to step down off your high horse and stop thinking of yourself as the new king of progression and innovation.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:40:02 PM by ?uest »

Offline timmyg

• Hitchhiker
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »
Tim Knoll,  not everyone that is riding flat just to “innovated new tricks” all the time. Most are doing it cause its fun.  Trends come and go, what matters is that they are riding and supporting flat. Do you really think that all that darkside stuff is new and innovated? To me its just  variations of what the Chad Degroot did back in the day. You really need to step down off your high horse and stop thinking of yourself as the new king of progression and innovation.

i def agree with you here. steams arent the easiest thing to do but arent the hardest either and not everyone who rides flat are pros. i ride cause its a challenge im not here to be the best and be innovative. if i get good i get good. its better then going to the gym!! :P
What man, whose the man,
what makes a man a man,
Am I a man? Yes, technically i am

Offline lardpacker

• Forkglider
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
Great vid Jon, Sean here. :P I think I'll head down to ur spot next week with zenn since my holidays would've started by then. 2 months of riding, I cant wait.

I dont see why there should be an issue with switch steams. Their fun to do, not too hard to learn and are an extremely linkable and versatile trick. It's much easier to use switch steams to link various tricks together than to directly link one hard trick to another.
However, It might have been abit overplayed in that vid. haha. I've seen Jon do plenty of rolling, scuffing and back wheel links too though, It's just that he prefers to spin switch steams more than anything, It's been his style for the last couple of years. :ph34r:

TJ Perry

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 10:14:47 PM »
I dont hate the fact that the x steam is played out. I could name 5 people i could ride with on a daily basis that do this trick allmost with every link. I think what frustrates me is the part where the majority of riders cookie cut the links that are put into that trick.

Exactly. I do a lot of switch handed steamroller links.. BUT.. a lot of the stuff I've done with it is stuff I really don't see too many other people.. if any.. doing at all. I think every trick has been played out to a certain extent.. but it's all in how you do it and the variations you employ that make that trick YOURs.

Everyone is psyched on the japanese guys doing back wheel, but a lot of it is very similar to the stuff wolfgang was going a while back except they do it in their own way and suddenly it's OG. Just a great example of how the style makes the rider and not the tricks itself.

Draken rock the f*ck on. You've progressed a bit since your last video and that spot is something I would kill my own children for.  :angry:

Offline Tim Knoll

• Forkglider
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 11:07:04 PM »

As i see it, tricks based off of the handlebars/seat are almost a completely untapped realm of tricks in flatland. There are SO many possibilities of completely new tricks and trick concepts that can be put forth through the means of the bike being upsidedown that have barely even been attempted. The prime of the ‘darkside’ trend occurred in the mid 90’s for only a time too brief to fully explore its wondrous capabilities.  Now i don’t see the glavatron as simply a variation of a Degroot trick, but rather a trick/link of its own, done through the concept of the bike being on the handlebars. Chris Woodling, myself, and all of the others i am not aware of who are delving into this different realm are preoccupied in creating something new while others in the flatland universe are hung up on front wheel links that are similar to dozens of others.<I’m not trying to say there is anything wrong with this, I’m just stating an observation (I‘m not trying to put myself on a pedestal as you so eloquently accused me of).

The beauty of flatland, as i see it, is the impossibilities are out weighed by the many untapped possibilities which we have yet to do. Flatland is for fun, that’s why we all do it. So hey everyone, feel free to indulge in your enjoyment.  But hold up, isn’t there a strong, perpetuating emphasis on progression, originality and individuality in flatland? Hell, the headline of the General Flatland Forum on Global-Flat states, “Let originality define your individuality”  I’m sure many of you strongly agree with that quote. So I just want to throw the encouraging idea out there to actually enact that quote.

On the same token, after all, each and everyone of us are individuals participating in the precious endeavor that is flatland bmx. So in the end, the choice of how each of us are to ride is up to our individual selves. So the choice is each of ours,  follow and mimic, or pave another path.

Offline Oltorf n Congress

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »
Damn. You're doing some crazy tricks. Pretty solid too.
I can't believe that spot. It's a late night flatland park huh?
NICE.
sickchild           sequence           clowndog

Offline Storm Shadow

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 11:56:19 PM »
I'm with Tim on this one. Flatland seems to have gotten stale, and it's great to hear that there are people out there really looking to shake things up. I can't wait to see what Tim and Chris come up with.

Offline TrekFlatland

• Forkglider
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:11 AM »
^^ Flatland is only getting stale in the means of watching the same thing over and over. We have all seen people do the same thing in every vid, but onceYOU can do that you cant tell me doesn't it feels damn good.

He digs switch handed steams, more power to him. Whatever feels fun.

I say the guy in this video, tim knoll, and anybody else who has put the years into riding that it takes to get that far are all nasty.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 03:51:43 AM »
Man Tim is not on a high horse I can vouch for that. I'm no where near his skill level yet he always rides, helps me and never acts like he's [way] better than me. I can say that on a personal level.

I think riders like Tim are great to see in a day that ridding is so dominate in spinning around on the front tire doing the same old stuff from video to video. It's nice to see Raph doing his backwheel stuff... it's nice to see Wilhelm varying up his routines. It's nice to see Tim doing all that darkside stuff. It's just different isn't it??

I appreciate ANY riders efforts no matter what trix or style they do/are. But I don't think anyone is out of line saying flatland could use a little change up couldn't it?? What about the back wheel???  ;D

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 05:11:11 AM »
Tim you just owned that guy! You and cris are allways inspiring to watch! And im not feeling a bad vibe! When this guy can do any form of  a darkside he might have a leg to stand on! Untill then shut your hole and go ride your bike. Tim and cris please p.m. Me about my darkside variation that i dont want to make public yet.

?uest

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 11:52:52 PM »
HA!
Whatever :wub:

?uest

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »
plus all that dancing around on the bike upside down reminds me of outtakes from the RAD movie Dance floor scene...cheesy

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 12:44:10 AM »
I agree with Lou. Im a bigger fan of riders like Kimmo and Jeff D.

Kimmo does a BB timemachine and it just looks sick. Jeff does a turbine hiker and i need to change my pants.
You get the idea.

Being original is dope too ofcourse.

Just my 2cents.

Draken man, props, keep it up.