Author Topic: headset & gyro problem  (Read 5799 times)

Offline mclovin2011

headset & gyro problem
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »
hey everybody.
Just a quick question? i bought a new headset off ebay. my gyro won't fit properly over the top of the headset. is their anything i can do to make it fit right.
Has any1 else had that problem before. if so what did you do.
I don't want to buy another headset.

Offline slcflat

• Hitchhiker
Re: headset & gyro problem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »
Who the hell is using brakes:)  had the same problem, some headsets don't fit gyros. I bought a snafu detangler, the newer sealed gyros work too but too expensive and bulky. What headset are u using?

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
Hi McLovin. I had the same problem once. It seemed that some of the older headsets did that. Ones like Dia-Tech & some FSA headsets. I'm using an eclat headset with zero problems. Most other headsets have a smaller diameter top/dust cap to allow gyro use. You could try using an extra spacer or two if you can get away with it, & then adjust your lower gyro barrel adjusters in most of the way & your top barrel adjusters up most of the way. Also, adjust the other top barrel adjuster to move the gyro up high enough to avoid the dust cap. If that doesn't work you may forego the dust cap altogether & run it with just spacers over the top of it. This will still work,; might not look as good but it will allow the gyro to sit flush with the tab & adjusters in their normal postition. I hope this helps!  B) 

Offline mclovin2011

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
i'm using a sst oryg. and my other problem is my gyro plate is really close to the gyro and the brake won't pull properly. do you think if i take the top headset cup off, put the gyro on and then put the headset  cup back on.

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:35:49 PM »
post pics for a better answer to your problem

Offline mclovin2011

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
Tried modifying my headset yesterday to sort my gyro out. But now my bars don't spin smoothly.
Any ideas what I can do. Instead of buying a new headset.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:09:28 PM »
Post some pictures and we'll get it sorted out.  It SHOULD be pretty straightforward with most mainstream BMX parts these days, but if you are running a 1 1/8" non-integrated headset with large cups AND the older style gyro or oryg, it spinner piece could be too small to fit over the top of the bearing cups.  I know that's a problem with the Chris King headsets because the cups are so big.  If I had to guess without looking I'd say that your headset won't work with that style of gyro. 

Post some pictures of the problems you are having with the brake pull.  Don't put the gyro plate anywhere but directly below the stem.  DO NOT sandwich it in between the headset cap and the top bearings, you're headset will never turn correctly if you do that.

Read this great faq from George French about brake adjustments.  http://www.gsportbmx.com/2003/02/brakes/[/size][size=78%]   [/size]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:15:06 PM by D »

Offline mclovin2011

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:19:59 PM »
Yeah your right the gyro spinner is to small to go over the headset.
Now I gotta make the bars spin smoothly.
Couldn't get them to spin smoothly yesterday.

Offline mclovin2011

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »
Can't be bothered to run a gyro now cause iti too much hassle.
How can I get my bars to spin smoothly cause at the moment they are really stiff.
F**king headsets are a pain in the ass.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
Post a picture if you can.  most likely either your headset is overcompressed or the bearings are in upside down somewhere.