Author Topic: Bone Bruised knee with mini fractured knee cap! Anyone had this injury?  (Read 4690 times)

Offline the duke

• Hitchhiker
  • Word
So I apparently got a boned bruised knee? Been to an orthopedic doctor. had x-rays and an MRI

I think this injury came on when learning cliffhangers and falling forward stopping my foot?

The diagnosis was its a bone bruise with mini stress fractures on the knee cap.

Or the technical version (Subchondral marrow edema in the lateral aspect of the trochlear groove with mild irregularity of the overlying cartilage but no large chondral effect) (Possibility of patellofemoral tracking disorder with chonromalacia and reactive marrow edema should also be considered)

Its been 6 months of my bike :( Anyone else ever have this problem? How long does it take to heal! I want to ride so bad!

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
Re: Bone Bruised knee with mini fractured knee cap! Anyone had this injury?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »
A rider here in Chicago broke his knee cap down the center.  It required surgery and he was out for almost a year.

Offline LooseNut

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:32:31 AM »
My knees take the worst beating of any part of my body.... which is why I started wearing knee pads... not "in vogue" but my knees thank me. My riding is progressing faster now as well because I'm not so smashed up all the time.

Having had a knee injury in the past, you're looking a 6mo - year healing (how long it took me). Most serious injuries (those in the direct path of what we do) seem to take a year to heal.

Offline Jimbo

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
i snapped my kneecap in half when i was 16. all in, it probably took me from march (when it happened) to xmas to have some strength in it again. Mentally it took its toll aswell, I've never rode dirt/big gaps the same again.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »
I may have came close to this once. I now ride knee pads under my jeans aswell.
The shins are painless but a good hit to the knee turns me to a baby.

Ive broken and fractured a whole bunch in my feet and hands.
Only advice is if they talk physio with you stick to it or it will be longer off the bike.
I fracture a bone in my foot once. They recommended a cast, decline as just a fracture. Within a week i just went for a pedal just the shop and snapped the fracture.
Still didnt cast. Stupid me. 6 months later still had a limp.

But hey thAt was my trun from dirt to flat.

Rest up and hopefully its not to long

Offline theisaac

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:22:36 AM »
When I was 15 I dislocated and chipped both sides of my kneecap (from it dislocating and getting popped back over).

I was out for three months with a full leg splint thing and another two months of physical therapy to build the muscles back up after not being used.

The body will heal itself. It's what we were designed to do.
Give yourself time to heal and don't rush your recovery. You will recover and be awesome.

Offline OSD

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:52 AM »
The "Duke" is already awesome....

Rest ( stay off it, dummy! ) :D , elevation, ice it if required. You're not 20 years old anymore... take some time off.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:32:31 PM by OSD »