Author Topic: Build/Buy for newb.  (Read 2542 times)

Offline spencerb

Build/Buy for newb.
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »

Hi! New member and first post!

I know this topic likely has been covered many times, but I'm looking for some specific guidance. I use to ride a little flatland as a kid and I'm now looking to get back into it. I need a bike! Challenge is getting something in the door within my $500 budget.

I've been doing some reading and have some base knowledge, but I'm looking to expand on that a little more. I see most people suggesting a specific geometry for flat like a 19" TT and 0 offset forks. Beyond that, I know I need brakes, which means a gyro too. What's the difference between a standard park/street bike and flatland bike?

Can I get away with buying a budget BMX with a relatively close geo and converting it to flat? One of the local shops carries lots of BMX and some under budget enough that I should be able to pick up forks, bars, gyro and pegs and come close to budget.

I'm concerned that the Eastern Enso from flatlandfuel will be way over my budget once I ship it here (Canada).

Thanks for the help,
Spencer.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
Re: Build/Buy for newb.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
You can definitely build a decent bike for 500 or less.  Many members here have items for sale and Pat at Flatland Fuel has some completes that will be great for getting started.

The difference between a standard park/street bike and flatland bike is this.  A street bike will have a longer top tube 20.5, 20.75, 21 inches.  The flatland bike will be 18.5 to 19.5 inches.  The  head tube angle may be 74.5 or 74 (trails is usually more slack) and a flatland bike will be steeper at 75 degrees.  A street bike will have a taller stand over hight in the area of 8 inches or more and a flatland bike will be 7.75 or less.

If you buy a complete street bike it will come with a fully offset fork, not a zero offset, and no front brake or mounts for a front brake.  The rear hub on a street bike will normally be a freewheel cassette hub (this will back pedal when rolling backwards) where a flatland bike has a freecoaster allowing you to roll back without back pedal.  The street bike will have only two smooth steel pegs intended for grinding not standing on. The flatland bike will have four knurled aluminum pegs intended for standing on an grabbing.  The knurling will give you a bit of better traction.  Mild enough to pivot but able help with body english and keep feet put when they need to be. 

Offline spencerb

Re: Build/Buy for newb.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply, that's helpful! I ended up buying a street bmx, but stuck to a short chainstay. It's been 20 years since I've been on a bmx, so I'm going to get cumfy before I start adding in things like 0 offset forks, etc. :)