Author Topic: Multiple boomerangs  (Read 7167 times)

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
Multiple boomerangs
« on: May 11, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »
 I'm kinda digging these and haven't actually tried them yet. I got flail boomerangs close to dialed now...I hit them 90% or so.... I'm wondering to keep going around the bars do you just kinda brake it and glide it a bit once you're at the position where you would normally be landing the rideout??

I was watching Chase doing them and it seems like it's kinda a jerk and push movement when your back at your start point??

Just kinda feeling this trick out before I get into it. And it's 50* and raining. lol Thanks for any tips!

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Multiple boomerangs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:54:56 PM »
I've always wanted to learn multiples... I just never got around to it... I used to be able to get 1 1/2,  but my arms would  buckle under me when the speed kicked up for the 2nd rotation. Or I would get out of center and just slam...
It may be a 2 wheel on the ground trick, but its still god damn hard....

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
I've always wanted to learn multiples... I just never got around to it... I used to be able to get 1 1/2,  but my arms would  buckle under me when the speed kicked up for the 2nd rotation. Or I would get out of center and just slam...
It may be a 2 wheel on the ground trick, but its still god damn hard....

Ya I really wanna learn these... no one does them anymore so you see them done it just stands out.

I'd have to say it's one of the coolest 2 wheel trix out there... and boomerangs aren't easy despite being labeled a basic trick and yeah multiples are way harder...I hear ya...but boomerangs and decades will always be timeless to me. :)

Hang gliders are cool too!  :ph34r:

Offline jffe

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
----For double hang glider boomerangs I would always tap my brakes right as I was bringing my left (farthest back, behind the seat) leg around just to keep from washing out. There's not much of a "trick" to it per se, just by stretching your leg out to get it behind the seat seems to sort of *pump* your momentum a bit, and as long as you don't just totally jam on the brakes, that extra speed generated will get you around and rolling for the second boomerang. Other than that, stay a bit (forward) over the bars as you go-through for the switch between boomerangs, and be sure to bring that other leg/foot up so it doesn't tag the frame and throw you off.

jffe

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »
aren't hang gliders done totally brakeless?
I don't remember which old school rider told me this, but someone told me theres only a small handful of dudes that can do true hang gliders... no brakes, no touching the frame....
anyone know anyone who can do multiples with no brakes or touching of the frame with your foot?

TJ Perry

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
I'm kinda digging these and haven't actually tried them yet.

This is where you are going about this all wrong.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:52:45 PM »
I'm kinda digging these and haven't actually tried them yet.

This is where you are going about this all wrong.

Dude I'm getting a feel for them and asking here...I know I'll get them but I also know there's a wealth of knowledge here worth me asking. I'm at a point with my flail boomerangs that I feel I can go 1 step further on it. But you bet TJ I'll be working on these...haha :D

Thanks for all your input here guys.  :beer:

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:05:06 AM »
what makes a boomerang a flail? is a hang glider a boomerang brakeless? i have to plead ignorance i never tried a boomerang in my life. maybe once when i was new before 8 year olds were born. now maybe ill consider it.
life is short. stunt it.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:20:08 AM »
what makes a boomerang a flail? is a hang glider a boomerang brakeless? i have to plead ignorance i never tried a boomerang in my life. maybe once when i was new before 8 year olds were born. now maybe ill consider it.

A flail boomerang is just a rolling boomerang.. the old skool Eddie Fiola way was to lock both brakes up where as the flail type you kinda roll it...

Here's how I do a flail/rolling boomerang

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:11:10 AM »
I learned flail boomerangs back in 86/87.  When I first saw it I thought it was funny.  I actually laughed.  After awhile I thought they looked cool.  After I learned them, man they were fun as hell.  Now I can do them just from jumping from the pegs and not swinging a leg.  I almost did a double once.  Very hard once you got your mind set on just one.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »

From what I remember, you have the basic boomerang where you use brakes the entire time - off the pedals or pegs or frame. A lot of guys also did boomerangs where you hit the brakes, let them go then hit them again. A flail is completely no brakes. You can do multiple boomerangs using the brakes on and off style by switching feet on the frame like a double decade, those aren't too bad, we used to get up around 7 and 8 of those in a row. Hangliders you snap the brake as you go over the bike and let them go again - most did them like that. There's also the kind that Jones and them did where you pushed off the rear tire (see old dorking vids). Check out http://krtschmidt.com/blog/ and find the vid of dennis mccoy for hangliders. I've never seen anyone do hangliders without brakes but I'm sure it's possible. There's also mulitiples with your foot on the handlebars, double endo boomerangs, ankle busters, bar split, etc, etc
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline noposer

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »
I use to do Hangliders by tapping the front brake during the transfer over the bike and then release them to finish the second flail. I've got old footage from 1990 on a GT Performer. I remember watching Brett Hernandez pull the hangglider and it looked so cool that I had to learn it! I haven't done one in over 15 yrs!

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »
Boomerangs can be learned by tapping the brake at the beginning, rolling and tapping it at the end.

The Flail was what Chris Day called it.  The Hang glider was the same thing except kicking off the back tire to complete multiples.  Same rolling boomerang just different names from different riders. 

You don't need brakes to do one but it helps a ton on multiples.  Just a quick tap as you go into the next one.