Author Topic: Transition to brakeless riding  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Scottie

Transition to brakeless riding
« on: January 01, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
Going to get back into riding after sometime and going to start by riding with brakes. Do most of the pros these days begin riding brakeless? Or do they just take their brakes off at some stage?

I would really like to learn new tricks rather than just try and re-learn what tricks I used to do.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:14:42 AM by Scottie »

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Re: Transition to brakeless riding
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
I was in the same boat.
I began with brakes when i got back into riding. Sitched the back as i wasnt using them.
Front brakes got stolen with my toolbox when i had them off for one weekend.

It would depend on what tricks your tryin to learn or create weather brakes will aid you.
Id just get them on and just dont use them if there not needed. But at least there on if you want to try something different or to see if they help with a trick.

I think most pros started with brakes. As they all have been at it for a while, since back when brakes were still norm.

Hollah

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »

i think is the best thing to start with brakes, a lot of tricks are way easier with them, from basics like fire hydrant and decade to the most advanced barflips variations.
you can learn everything brakeless but theres no advantage for me, some people thinks that if you learn something with brakes it will be harder then to do it brakeless but it's not true.
i know people that for their ideas took them off too early and now after years they still haven't learned a lot of basics.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »
Brakeless is kind of silly, unless you're throwing down really insane stuff.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Scottie

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
I love this sport, and I do remember as a kid when riding flatland and Balancing Act came out there where allot of mixed opinions on Chase's brakeless riding style. Surely removing your brakes takes away some limitation but promotes others. Makes sense though if you are pulling insane tricks.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:30:52 AM by Scottie »