Author Topic: Troubleshooting thread  (Read 1928 times)

Offline tweaked

Troubleshooting thread
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
I just started riding again and have been watching vids and reading 'how to' stuff.
What I find is they all tell you what to do rather than what NOT to do which is what can keep you in a rut for a long time, repeating the same error over and over.
So I thought it would be good to post a common mistakes type thread.

For example, I've been learning hang 5s and the rear would always come down, no matter how hard I pushed the bars. Then I realized I was stiffening the leg I have on the peg when I go into it. That pushed the front wheel forward and brought the back down. Focusing on keeping that knee bent helped. I'm still learning but that got me out of a rut.
Or on peg glides you need to weigh the bars on one side more if the bike tends to tip to one side.

So this could be a place to collect all our hard earned insights.
Like this maybe

Trick: hang 5
Problem: rear won't stay up
Fix: try to keep peg leg bent as you push the bars forward.

Offline getzfafive

• Funky Chicken
Re: Troubleshooting thread
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
The only way to really learn a trick is with continuous failed attempts ("practice").  I think muscle memory acts in a more intuitive and instinctual manor, rather than a logical thought process.  In my day job, I'm basically a "troubleshooter". The logic and methodology I use in my day job, I don't apply to BMX.  BMX is an art form, which uses a certain part of the brain and logic / troubleshooting uses a different part of the brain.  I don't like to mix the two.  When your out riding and have a mechanical failure, I think one reason it pisses you off so much is , to deal with the mechanical failure your forced to switch mindsets away from the creative and back to the logical.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:34:25 PM by getzfafive »

Offline tweaked

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 03:25:43 AM »
That is interesting. It seems like there may be very different approaches.
 I constantly analyze every movement and where my weight is, how the bike is leaning etc, all the time. I get fully immersed in the troubleshooting/problem solving aspect of it, which is why I like it so much. There is no room to think about anything else. I used the same approach for other sports as well. The feeling comes in after I figure out how to do something, when its automatic.

[/size]This is why the thread made so much sense for me to start.
[/size]
[/size]But since no one else replied, I guess I may be the only one that approaches things this way!!!

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:42:37 AM »
BMX isn't an art form, it's BMX. Repeating mistakes only makes a rider good at repeating mistakes. Do things differently to get different results...