Author Topic: Oldtallmikes Sunday  (Read 4160 times)

Offline oldtallmike

• Excuse me, please stop making excuses
    • Regression Process
Oldtallmikes Sunday
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:19 PM »

For you taller guys-I love the way this bike feels-(i'm 6'4"). Felt like it took a minute to get the feel of a long bike, but truthfully after a few years away from the bike completely-any bike would have felt awkward. A few sessions in now, and It feels perfect for me. A bit old school, a bit new...same as me...some old habits/ setups die hard. 

Here are the deets...

Frame: Sunday Soundwave 21"tt
Fork: Sunday Night 2.1 32mm offset
Headset: Odyssey
Stem: Odyssey Elementary V3
Gyro: GTX-S
Cables: Odyssey Slic, Odyssey M2  medium Upper, standard Gyro Lower
Brakes: Odyssey Evo2 F/R
Levers: Odyssey Monolever medium Left, M2 medium Right
Bars: Quest Miyagi
Grips: Sunday Reeves
Seatpost: Odyssey Intac
Saddle: Odyssey
Clamp: Sunday Slim
Bottom Bracket: Odyssey Mid 22mm
Cranks: Odyssey Flatware Twombolts 160mm
Sprocket: Odyssey Flatware Rhode Island 22t
Chain: Odyssey Bluebird
Pedals: Odyssey Twisted PC
Tires: Odyssey Frequency G 1.85
Rims: Odyssey Aerospace
Spokes: Odyssey /laced 4X
Hub F: Odyssey Vandero2
Hub R: Infinity Freecoaster
Pegs F: Quest MetaGuru stix
Pegs R: Quest Gurustix

Phatman

Re: Oldtallmikes Sunday
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:43:58 PM »
VEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYY NICE!!!! Cool to see such a Gigantic Flatland Rider did You not think of something like a Forecaster? (If we continue on the Sunday Route!) I mean a 20.5" T.T Might even still be too short for You! But i was just imagining the 20.5" x 13.25" Forecaster Frame would still be waaaay longer than ANY "Flatland" Frame but still short for You & have a bit more of a poppy/tight Frame? Why the 32mm Offset too? Surely the F-25's (Again continuing on the Odyssey/Sunday Route) would be a better idea? Welded 990 Mounts & slightly Steeper Offset for again a more poppy feeling? Sorry for the bombardment of Questions haha I'm just really interested in how a Bike like that would feel for Flatland even at Your Height! I have an obsession with BMX & Spec's of pretty much everything on the market right now too so I kinda like thinking out Builds lol... I see You're a Quest Fan! MetaGuruStix are THE BEST Pegs going without a single doubt! What do You think of the Miyagi Bars? I've got a set myself & I'm in love! Just been Hooked up by Wethepeople so I'l be running a full Utopia set-up for Streetland, But i still have my more "Flatland" set-up with all my Quest bits! Again i will say this!... VEEEEEEEERRRRYYYY NICE!!!!

Offline oldtallmike

• Regression Process
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »
What's up Topsey! Saw your WTP...I used to love my Collier frame, that new one should be rad! I am definitely a giant..the 21" was originally set up for everything and slowly transitioned into my Flat bike as I felt the need to ride flat...a lot, and couldn't pull the trigger on a traditional flat frame right now.
The last frame I had before I got hurt was a Fly Tierra 20.6 and that felt great-but too short for street, I just decided to go bigger this time! The Soundwave has a relatively short CS, so it feels poppy to me, almost loopy sometimes. 32mm offset fork feels right, I had some zero offsets and they felt good and really fast-I'll try some 16's soon-that is still in the process of discovery I suppose. I just got back on the bike so my body is still adapting to riding again, and that might be beneficial to my adaptation to the feel of the big bike.

Quest stuff is the best, really. The Metas and the OG stix rock, the Miyagi bars held up when I rode this bike in the park, but feel awesome for flat. Perfect width and height for me and I don't feel like i'm going to snap them.

I am waiting to get on a Reklamation frame now, it is definitely on the soonish horizon-finances will determine the true time on that one. I think they have the best thing going right now between the vibe of the company and the frame itself.

Offline jeffc43

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
Nice!   B)   I'm 6'5" and just finished building a 20.75" Subrosa DTT for my new flatland bike.  Love it!  Zero-offset forks, Flatware stem, etc.  I'll get it posted here too.  So much roomier and more comfortable than my old school flat bike.  I can't imagine trying to ride one of those sub-19"TT flat frames.  I'd consider looking at other frames between 19.5"-20.75" but I think anything outside of that would be too long or too short for my personal comfort as a flatland bike.

I've got a 20.75" Sunday for my everything-else bike and for that I'm looking to upgrade to a 21.25" frame.   :D

Glad to hear there are some other tall flatlanders out there too!

Offline oldtallmike

• Regression Process
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »
Thanks Jeffc43! I do have a Waltz V1 sitting on a shelf...struggled with the build/no build miniature 18.6' tt thing...I am going to ride a Reklamation 19.5" eventually...unless I keep riding like I have been . It honestly feels waaaaay better than I thought it would feel.

Definitely at least 3 tall guys riding right now....maybe 4! Need to have a Giant class in the AMFLAT series this year!

New Sunday's come out in March...Really Stoked on the Red Soundwave, will definitely be my new street rig.

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:55 AM »
OTM. I know just how You feel! I have been out all this year & had to dial back my riding over the last 2 or 3. I had an Op on My Shoulder 8 years back & it didn't work tbh & things slowly got worse & worse! I am taking Morphine, Tramadol & Gabapentin right now in some pretty damned heavy dosages! I was unconscious for about 3 months of this year lol! I've got a 20" Benny L & i have that set up for Street with a little Flatland well i decided i really needed to bite the bullet & set up a Bike more for the Flatland side of Riding but capable of a little Flat & then last Friday i got the email from Rich at WTP & Wednesday all my WTP stuff showed up! So the Utopia is going to be a full on Streetland Bike! Cannot wait to get it set up!

Offline oldtallmike

• Regression Process
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:52:17 AM »
Topsey, I completely feel you on the shoulder-3 rotator cuff ops in the past 15 years...last one worked. Spine exploded right after the shoulder healed, then the ankle in a CX race after my spine eased up- it has been a bad few years...One day I just said F^%k it, stopped taking all pain meds and just started dealing with it. Getting back on the bike feels awesome (notsomuch when the session ends, but it is worth it). I hope you get back to where you want! Little bikes are fun, regardless of how much we get to ride them it is always awesome when we do! That is really cool to see WMT hooked you up, you must've had a good presence and respect from them to be  put on the flow list. Build that bike and ride the snot out of it-they want the feedback, I'm sure!

Phatman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »
When i FINALLY got the Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Diagnosis things kinda kicked into gear & I got better meds & I am getting the help i need to build up muscle & all that again! I was diagnosed with Type One Diabetes about 6/7 months ago & that forced quite an extreme life style change! So I have been eating healthier, now that the Shoulder is probably as good as it will get I'm getting back into working out, even at a very small level right now I'm getting fitter day by day. I had to pick the most stupid time to build up a New Bike! The Weather here in the UK is hovering around the 0 Degree Mark pretty much all day now! God Only Knows What It Is During The NIGHT!! & There's HEAVY Wind, Rain & supposedly Snow isn't far away! But yeah, It was actually a great time for WMT to hook me up with the Utopia stuff because I can save up my pennies get it built up & ready ride literally as soon as the weather gets to a point even where I can wrap up warm & ride you know? I'm looking forward to it! I have motivation to ride now I'm not in constant agony! Then WMT hook me up?! Getting SUPER Pumped & I cannot wait to ride the Utopia!

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »
Great to see some bike checks coming in! Looks steezy, Oldtallmike!