Author Topic: Q: DK Signal- Threshold of Street Abuse?  (Read 17588 times)

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
Re: Q: DK Signal- Threshold of Street Abuse?
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2007, 02:51:05 AM »
Thanks  ;D

This weekend I discovered that when I am standing in front of the bike and I press DOWN on a peg and pull the handlebars UP towards me, this raises the back wheel and entire rear end...!!!!!

This may not sound like a  big deal, but WOW this just boosted my confidence level so much-- it was as if the bike was weightless for a second. I said, "OH SH*T" out loud. The bike seemed so heavy in all other regards (i.e. when I'm sitting on it), but when I did this... it was just like, WOW maybe this IS possible?!!?  ^_^ ^_^
09.26.07 - Signal
08.24.08 - Official Day 1

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2007, 05:17:53 AM »
Ok, I have a question you guys...

When I get my bike, and I try to ride backwards, will my pedals also move? ("ghost pedal")?  :huh:
I didn't think this applied to me, but I just read that another guy with a Signal was having this problem...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:20:47 AM by yoksthed0pest »
09.26.07 - Signal

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2007, 05:26:36 AM »
It depends.  It has a "Freecoaster' and that's a special type of rear hub that is designed so that you can set your pedals where you want them, then when you roll backwards they won't move.

The caveat here is that in order for it to work, there's what is known as "slack" in the mechanism.  Let's say that you want your right pedal to be forward and parallel to the ground.  Now, if there's no slack, when you put a little bit of pressure on the pedals the hub will think you want the driver engaged so that you can pedal forward, and your pedals will move backwards. 

What I do if I want to set up my pedals as mentioned, and have little chance of them moving is pedal so that my right pedal is in the "6 o'clock" position (looking at it from the right side in reference to where it is in relation to the sprocket), then manually backpedal with one foot so that my pedal is now at the 3 O'clock postion (parallel to the ground).  I find that with this freecoaster that will leave a little more room for error (as far as putting pressure on the pedals) and the pedals won't move backwards any.  You mileage may vary.

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2007, 05:39:07 AM »
Ohh.... ok.... So, I need to do, like, a 1/4 "rewind" on the pedal and hopefully that will lock it in position?
09.26.07 - Signal

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »
Depending on were your pedals are and how much pressure you put on them, yes that will help.  When I do this, my pedals never move backwards.

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
Ok, I guess I will have to experiment when the bike gets here...
Thank you for all of your help :0)
09.26.07 - Signal

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2007, 07:12:22 PM »
Ok, I am trying to figure out what the "offset" in a fork is...

Is "offset" how much the blade bends/curves? (Blade being the lower half of the fork?)

And is it true that a "zero offset will make the bike shorter", by the same logic ("The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line." ?

Am I totally off?  :huh: Sorry if it sounds silly, I am just trying to understand the mechanics of the bike here...  :huh:
09.26.07 - Signal

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:28 PM »
offset refers to the wheel position when you flip the bars.

If you can flip the bars around 180 degrees and they are in the exact same position, you have zero offset.

I prefer having offset personally. Some tricks require it, like a lazy man hang nothing. The offset pushes the balance point so that you can balance in such a weird position.

Lots of newer riders like zero offset because when doing bar spinning tricks the balance point is the same forward or backwards. (relating to the position of the bars)

i hope that makes sense?

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
Oh, ok... thanks for clearing that up-- I was using a diagram of the fork from a mountain bike. I was just trying to make sense of the notes on the diagram...

I don't remember all the names of the tricks, so I'm going to have to look up the lazy man hang nothing... I'm getting confused when you say "forwards and backwards"...?
09.26.07 - Signal

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2007, 05:32:14 AM »
Ok, well, I've been staring on and off at the '08 model and I just don't know what to think, other than, it looks like it was made JUST for me... and that I like the tires. But, I'm still happy I'm getting the last '07, because '07 is gonna mark the beginning for me *begin epic music* ha ha also I plan on powdercoating my frame later after I beat it up. But Yah, just wanted to tell FreeEnterprise, I know what you know and to make ancientskool all curious, haha  ^_^
09.26.07 - Signal

kdac

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2007, 05:58:36 AM »
the 08' signal comes in blue and purple with white forks and white bars... they changed the tires, the fork and the stem.... the stem is now front loading instead of top loading... the fork is presumably lighter, however still minimal offset *barf* but other then that it is the same... i ride an 07 and like so many before me on this thread, the cranks are trash... learning hang 5's effed them in like 2 hours, i now have to tighten the inner and outer crank pieces almost daily.  Also i don't know how many of you signal riders ride breakless but i do, and the entire weight of all break related components is literally like 5 pounds, so if you want to drop some weight, go breakless.

the bike is pretty solid though, i really enjoy it, but invest in some 3 piece cranks and some chain tensioners asap or you are going to be riding one very noisy and wobbly bike!

peace

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2007, 06:09:44 AM »
Ok, well, I've been staring on and off at the '08 model and I just don't know what to think, other than, it looks like it was made JUST for me... and that I like the tires. But, I'm still happy I'm getting the last '07, because '07 is gonna mark the beginning for me *begin epic music* ha ha also I plan on powdercoating my frame later after I beat it up. But Yah, just wanted to tell FreeEnterprise, I know what you know and to make ancientskool all curious, haha  ^_^

DON'T MAKE ME CURIOUS...SEND ME THE PICS!!!!!!

please?

edit:  Nevermind.  I found the info/photo on FF.  I'll give my impressions (not that anyone cares) later.   ^_^
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:13:55 AM by ancientskool »

Offline JIMBO420

• Backpacker
  • HARDCORE
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
The 08's are almost as nice as mine, almost.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2007, 04:31:27 PM »
Impressions:

I like the purple, but I'm not as fond as the white forks/bars.  It would be great with that purple and black forks/bars.  The stickers I don't like any more or less, but do appreciate them moving the TT sticker to the front instead of right by the seat tube where it lasts about 2 days.

I don't see any difference in the forks other than the color.  They look just like mine.

According to FF, they now have 36H rims.  36H rims scare me, but they will make the bike lighter and a lot of people are running them these days.

The new front load stem is an improvement, as it will make it easier to run certain after-market bars and tightening the bolts is easier, though it looks to have the same length as the old one.

The new tires look no better or worse than the ones that the bike used to come with.  Both are more street oriented.

All in all, I'd say that there are differences, but overall they don't make the bike much better or worse.  The only thing I'd want them to have kept from the 07 is the black forks/bars if I was in the market today, but spray paint is cheap.  ^_^

More info/pics here:
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=4749.0

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2007, 06:42:22 PM »
I love the white.

besides everyone knows that white is the new black... ^_^