Author Topic: martii/justin  (Read 28000 times)

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
Re: martii/justin
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
marrti is back riding, but just as a hobby, as it should be, justin i think was there to win and he did that, now hes renovating houses and happy not riding, which is respectable ,cos he came and kicked ass, then when he needed a new challenge, he was gone

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
I'm never going to be at that level and I can admit that freely. All I was trying to say was that I would like to see them ride again. Sit there with your arms crossed and a mad face and continue your cycle of negativity keyboard pussy!!

Ok I'll do that and maybe in the meantime you'll get better and realize how ridiculous you sound.

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »
I can update you guys on some of these riders

Andrew Faris is working in Canada as a Volkswagon mechanic last time I know of him
and he is no longer riding.

Paul Osicka lives in Ecuador in the lower Andes Mountains and he is a farmer now as
he grows food and he still rides last time I talked to him which was two months ago.

You know about the rest pretty much and yeah Justin not going to ride much probably
and last time I talked to Marti...he was riding a few days a month and not like he was
doing back awhile ago.

Nathan lives in Panama and he has a little house there and what I have heard he still
rides on occasion and he enters comps down there sometimes or judges as they do have
quite a bit of comps there in Panama,Columbia and Costa Rica!

That is all I know and I can also tell you Andrew Arroyo and Kerry Gatt still rides also
I see them once in awhile!

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 03:36:53 AM »
Funniest that I have heard lately was Jay Miron was graduating from Wood art
carving school and well he is Canadian after all but I never saw Jay doing that
type of art work with a jigsaw or otherwise.I have known Jay forever and everytime
I think of this..it makes me laugh!

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »
Does jay miron ever need to work another day? With MacNeil and the pivitol system royalties...
i too do wood carving, if he ever needs tropical hardwood, can hook him up, lol!

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
+1 carver here

Offline wesbmxr

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
You bet your ass I'll try to get better, that's what flatland is all about. Have a good one sweetie, need a hug?

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »
Do i smell a new feud brewing? Lol, take it easy guys- it's just internet forum...

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
Heh I think TJ was just saying that to get to the level Martti or Justin were at can take a toll on your life. It's one thing to "live" flatland but to be, clearly, one of the best at it is a whole different thing. That level of commitment, with little or no reward other than self-satisfaction and respect from others (or other things you can't buy a house with), can be a recipe for trouble. I think it's easy to say "it's my life I'll never quit" when you don't actually give yourself over to flatland as much as these guys did. Not "you" as in "you" you, just in general.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:36:02 PM by ortho »

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
Just thinking about "5 in a row" makes me consider renovating homes

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
I'm guessing no one here has put a fraction of the effort into riding as these guys did, so it seems pretty reasonable that at some point they'd back down and explore other things. Including things that pay actual money to live on.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
I wouldn't blame Martii for not riding anymore. He has gotten so good and so natural at it that he can basically just pick up on anything he wants extremely fast. I think it's almost not even a challenge for him at this point.

When it comes to Justin, let's just say I don't think he was riding for the correct reasons in the first place. It's pretty much common knowledge in the flatland world that you're not going to become rich or even famous in the grand scheme of things. He rode himself practically to death almost purely for contests and no other reason.

As someone pointed out, Paul O. still rides and as far as we know, he might still be extremely good or even better than he was before.

Personally, I know that there is hardly any money in BMX so I'm in school for engineering. There's no unwritten rule that one can't do both. This is why I don't buy this "Oh, he can't make money" excuse or "they never got anything out of it" nonsense. How about personal satisfaction or self-discipline? What about just being physically active and fit? Or whatever happened to just riding because we want to? Look at Chase; he always rode hard just for the sake of riding. Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
How about personal satisfaction or self-discipline? What about just being physically active and fit? Or whatever happened to just riding because we want to? Look at Chase; he always rode hard just for the sake of riding. Nothing more, nothing less.

I just want to again highlight the difference between riding hard and being the best. Both Martti and Justin were intensely competitive riders. They weren't gifted and happened to speak flatland naturally, they worked for it. Paul O  or Chase or Kevin J ride in a different way.

The reasons you mention for riding are all great, but M and J rode for different reasons. My point is that riding like they did to be the best has shown to be a tortuous and somewhat unfulfilling undertaking.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
I wouldn't blame Martii for not riding anymore. He has gotten so good and so natural at it that he can basically just pick up on anything he wants extremely fast. I think it's almost not even a challenge for him at this point.

When it comes to Justin, let's just say I don't think he was riding for the correct reasons in the first place. It's pretty much common knowledge in the flatland world that you're not going to become rich or even famous in the grand scheme of things. He rode himself practically to death almost purely for contests and no other reason.

As someone pointed out, Paul O. still rides and as far as we know, he might still be extremely good or even better than he was before.

Personally, I know that there is hardly any money in BMX so I'm in school for engineering. There's no unwritten rule that one can't do both. This is why I don't buy this "Oh, he can't make money" excuse or "they never got anything out of it" nonsense. How about personal satisfaction or self-discipline? What about just being physically active and fit? Or whatever happened to just riding because we want to? Look at Chase; he always rode hard just for the sake of riding. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, some people need to ride 6-10 hours a day to maintain and progress, so working full time is not always a practical option. Like if we look closely at Chase as you suggested, you'll probably find that he doesn't really have a booming career outside of riding. That's his choice, but when he got sick, he had to reach out for donations, because he was broke.

As far as the highlighted stuff there, all I can say is ask an NBA player if he'd be OK with no paycheck. Mentioning just being physically fit and getting personal satisfaction would probably get you punched. hahaha

It's a commentary on how in almost every other sport, the very best are successful financially as well as personally. I'm not ok with the lack of funds for these skilled riders, and I don't expect them to be, either. But to suggest we should be satisfied with just being fit and active is sort of a slap in the face to guys that devote their entire lives to riding with no hope of being supported.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »
I don't mean to say that money was the reason Justin and Martti left...I sort of went on a tangent there :)