Author Topic: Wanting to start a small bike products company for flatland.  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
Wanting to start a small bike products company for flatland.
« on: October 25, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »
What are some things you guys would like to see as far as bike parts are concerned? I want to make parts that may be basic and simple. But also, inexpensive compared to some of the name brand stuff thats out there, but would hold up just as good. I was thinking about making bars and pegs to start it off and then later move into more product. I wont stock much I will problly post what I build in the market section of this fourm.

It aint nothin' but a G thang baby, Def Row is tha record dat pays me.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
Re: Wanting to start a small bike products company for flatland.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »

Honestly there are 1001 pegs (and bars) on the market already.  Unless they come in dirt cheap, I'm not sure how you could market them.

Flatland stems seem overpriced these days for what they are.  I mean $70 average just seems out of line.  A good, cheap mid or short stem would be welcomed.  Doesn't need to be fancy, it's a freaking clamp.

It may just be me, but I'm not real happy with the selection of brake levers that come in both left and right sides.  What's still made, two brands?

Phatman

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:40:50 PM »
Stainless Steel Grip Stops & Bar End Caps.. FRACTIONALLY Thicker than the Grip. Grip Stops about 6 to 8mm wide single Allen key bolt, Similar deal with the end cap, nice shape maybe domed? Obviously a good quality stainless.

ANSWER MY PRAYERS!!  :beer:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:13:09 AM by Topsey »

Offline efxman

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 03:04:40 AM »
Actually a solid frame but at a good price but that is hard since people seem so anal about every little bit of a frame.  If you could make a complete copy of say the Intrikat frame at a great price and be as good than you might be on to something.  It is pretty crazy that a frame today costs around $375.

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »
I really apperciate your responses. I do like the idea of making a stem. Yes there is a ton of parts on the market but my stuff will come un painted and its all going to be basic.So prices should be lower. I at the moment cannot take on a frame although that would be my dream. Cheap bars and pegs sound like a good start later I think a stem. I wouldnt mind doing a low dough zero offset fork as well.

Offline couch

• Hitchhiker
    • ZodiacEng.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
Would this be something you will manufacture yourself or have sourced?

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
I'm going to have a friend machine for me but I will design and re-sell

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »
You would be surprised on how many parts from reputable company that has a majority of their parts sourced out.

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »
First product will be a fork extension. I have an idea to hold it together using a collet system thats used in the oilfield. I wont say what or post pics of my drawings but I think this would really help riders out who need more height. I'm going to make it out of aluminum, I'm thinking....

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »
First product will be a fork extension. I have an idea to hold it together using a collet system thats used in the oilfield. I wont say what or post pics of my drawings but I think this would really help riders out who need more height. I'm going to make it out of aluminum, I'm thinking....

I think you have to make very sure that will be HEAVILY tested before you propose that thing on the market. Because that's scary when thinking about security.

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »

I think you have to make very sure that will be HEAVILY tested before you propose that thing on the market. Because that's scary when thinking about security.
The type of system I want to use to hold this baby together holds up valves that weigh hundreds of pounds out here in the oilfield. I'm going to use the same exact collets because they already come in 1 1/8" od. The design is very simple yet functional.Of course there will be some heavy testing done and I may offer some for free for others to try. The height wont be any thing rediculous just probally a inch or two more height for people who have brought forks that have been cut or brought forks with way to short of steer tubes, like my zion's for instance. It for the most is going to be a solid pice with a recessed 1 3/8 hole at the base deep enough to cover the steer tube and the collets that clamps down around it. Basicly this thing will bite down on the steer tube and will not release unless you wrench it off. It's going to have a hex union at the base which will be compatable with any 1 1/2 wrench. The only trick is your gonna have to bow down on it tight to ensure a nice tight hold on the union.

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
If this idea woks like it should thats going to shoot over into some barsteam combos like no ones ever seen....no bolts at all.... I got the idea from the Tree collet stem but this works completely different.

Offline Flatland318

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
You wont even need a preload bolt if this systemworks with a combo it will be one solid piece with one simple proceedure to hold down the entire piece.