Author Topic: Heavy Newbie  (Read 11744 times)

Offline ngpete

Heavy Newbie
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm 175cm / 5'9" with 90kg/198lbs. I'm new to bmx and i wanted to try flatland. However, i've yet to buy myself a bike. My concerns are my size and weights against the bike. I would also wish to be able to sit and cycle my bike to gym, as street bike's seat is a bit too low to do so.

What would you guys think about St Martin Darwin for a beginner like me?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
Re: Heavy Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »
198's a bit heavy for your height but it's really not that heavy, I don't think it would be too much of a problem.  I would imagine that Kevin Jones and Ivan Ademic are both over 200 lbs. and are amazing riders. 

Offline clint23

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
Don't ever let your weight be a consideration  I rode everyday from the time I was 12 till  I was 23 and at  17 years old I was 6' 190lbs built like a football player. I got back into riding at 28 and I was 350lbs and out of shape road everyday until I was 35 and my weight had been up and down the whole time but mostly over 300lbs I ride a normal setup I even have plastic pegs and I have never broken anything that I would contribute to my weight.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
Yeah get the bike bro. That'll help you cut down on your weight big time. All that dieting and fad bullsh*t doesn't have near the effect that a few good sessions a week bring. Buy it and don't look back!!!!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »
I once saw video of a guy rip a sprocket apart and he was a bit larger than average. Some parts don't really don't hold up under weight. I'm 6"4 and 215lbs though and I don't break stuff that often contrary to popular belief.

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 02:45:12 AM »
6/6'1 210lbs, I am a little over weight but i am by no means small at optimum weight! You shouldn't let your weight be an issue buy smart & things will last for as long as you want them! TJ mentioned seeing a larger guy rip through a Sprocket. The Answer to this is buy a Tree Sprocket (not the H.T 4130 one!) The Light & OG Sprockets are literally unbreakable!! Things like that! Educate yourself & this site will help with that & you will buy Parts that will suite you & your evolving riding style.

Offline ngpete

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 04:27:53 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement people!

Good to know that i can finally made up my mind on a flatland bmx rather than keep hearing that i'm too big for it.

Cheers,
Pete

Phatman

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:07 AM »
I've been riding Flat on & off for the 13 Years i have been riding. It's been 8 years since i last properly rode! I have made my return i guess you could say! I have pretty Severe Nerve Damage in my Right Shoulder. It's not great but I've been to a couple of UK Comps & I've made some new friends & I feel like part of a community. I have got to know some really awesome US Guys too, Flatlanders are some of the nicest people on the face of this earth (Some REALLY bitchy, Immature ones too haha) You'll enjoy riding Flat, sometimes its frustrating as hell BUT.. the gratification you get when you FINALLY pull a trick or a link is unexplainable! You will have to get riding & experience it for yourself!  :D

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 05:25:16 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement people!

Good to know that i can finally made up my mind on a flatland bmx rather than keep hearing that i'm too big for it.

Cheers,
Pete

if anyone tells you that you are too big, hit them with your bigness whatever form that may take.

Offline The Injured Faith

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »
I'm 6' and weigh 260lbs. The only thing I've broken in the 3 years I've been riding is a Paris 2 frame. Buy a set up made to withstand your riding style.

Offline chuppy83

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
im in same place as you im 5'10 and around 205lb, i can do it you can too.

Offline Justin440

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:27:39 AM »
I say get a bike, ride it, if stuff breaks then fix it. Don't let your physical condition deter you from riding unless your doc says so. Your weight isn't really that far above the average veteran rider anyway.