Author Topic: Shorty looking for recommendations  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Rosie

Shorty looking for recommendations
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
Heya,

Looking to get started doing flatland.  I was going to just get an Opsis but they're discontinued :(  At this point it's looking like I may just build my own bike.  I'm looking for recommendations on parts and specs that be more suited to someone who's short 5'2".  I figure it might be a good idea to maybe make some adjustments to the bike's design to suit my size. 

Anyone have any advice for what parts/sizes to use if I'm building a bike from scratch?

Thanks!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Shorty looking for recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
Have you looked on Flatlandfuel.com for one of the complete bikes there? I know they are a little more expensive than the DK opsis but there really is no better place to start. Good luck!

Edit: I think the Ares would be best for a short individual at an 18.5" tt size (vs 19.25 for the KHE)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:11:29 PM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DBZ

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »
+1 for the Ares. Building a bike from scratch gets expensive real quick.
F Y T W

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
Depends on who you know- some female riders got great deals off fellow riders, parts and frame wise; wouldn't jump into completes right away as they are usually very hard to sell 2nd hand.

look for short t.t frames if you are just starting out, if you have some experience and looking to link tricks up, longer t.t. Lengths will be more suitable.

weight- what type of rider are you? Heavier you are, heavier the frame has to be, ditto parts wise. For parts you might get away with titanium/ alloy upgrades to the spindle, hex nuts/ bolts and spokes.

forks- zeros if you plan on running short t.t frames; crank arm lengths get critical when there's minimal room between b.b and front wheel.

cranks- 145mm or shorter if t.t length is 17.9" or lesser.

bid your time with your bike built, especially when on budget, choice parts will come on gflat for a song, just gotta be quick.

Offline Rosie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:54:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Hopefully I'll be able to post a bike check soon :)