Author Topic: Riding solo vs riding in a scene  (Read 10002 times)

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Riding solo vs riding in a scene
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
Wonderin peoples thoughts on riding solo or within a scene.

I personally have no scene. Some street kids used to join. 2 minutes of hop 360s and they were gone.
All quit riding too.
Been riding solo in a shed for a few years, i feel my progression is slower and at times frustratingly non existant. But i do think it gives me better ideas. And a space to try those ideas without worrying about eating sh*t infront of some street kids.

I used to ride dirt for quite a while, within a group of fellas, each day felt like nailing a new trick.
The day those guys all stopped riding, my push to do new tricks died.
Moved town to find only more deadsh*t riders who wouldnt dig. And rethought bmx to focus on flatland as it suited my situation of having no scene. And i liked its sence on longevity.

Wonderig where everyone else stands .

Does riding solo for some bring out there best
Or is it the scene which keeps you on your toes.

Hollah
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:33:09 PM by locky »

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
Re: Riding solo vs riding in a scene
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

in the last years i usually ride solo and maybe met a couple of friends on the week end.
there are periods were i ride alone for a month or two and usually o august were i ride almost every day with a  friend.
i find both things usefull ridingwise because, when riding solo i have more focus and i can "train" without distractions that can take me out of the right mode.
but is also useful to ride with every once in a while because they always end up giving me some trick to try that maybe is not my usual kind of trick so they can expand your vision,it's always good to get some ideas from another point of view.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline flaTTech

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »
  I have not been in an active scene for most of the years I have been riding (Since 1985).  I have rode flatland almost entirely by myself.  I believe it is easier to progress and learn tricks alone because you can completely focus on what you are doing, but maybe more difficult to stay motivated to keep pushing yourself when you're always riding alone.  It almost seems surreal to me when I am actually riding around other flatlanders.

Just enjoying flatland has somehow been enough to keep me motivated and on a constant journey to learn more and more.  The internet and instant access to tons of edits also helps.   That's why I believe all flatland riders at any level should be working on putting out an edit.  Beginners, riding alone maybe more stoked on some nice edits by other beginner riders (or riders just above there level) instead of always seeing edits of the top pros. 

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »
Flatland has become my stess release in a way.
My wife sends me riding when she sees im stressed.
So i try to look stress most days.

Haha

When i ride alone in a shed theres not much to think about other then riding.
Its as good as breakfast to start the day.

Offline flaTTech

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
 I'm not entirely sure if flat relieves stress or adds stress to my life. Ha, but yeah it can definitely be a good stress reliever.  Just getting some exercise from riding flat can help with stress, not to mention your doing something you enjoy and that's also good..

Offline The Injured Faith

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »
I ride alone in my spot too, the few times we all pull together though is amazing.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Not too many riders here in Columbus; it's more bmx/street than anything else. I'm pretty much used to riding by myself.