Author Topic: urgent question.. PLZ HELP  (Read 4483 times)

Offline skyeone

urgent question.. PLZ HELP
« on: October 18, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
I was wondering if thiers a specific frame or bike that you need in order to flatland. I just started riding but my bike feel heavy to do any tricks. its a diamonback. Or is it that I need to work on my strength on maneuvering the bike. This is the only bike I could get since im on a tight budget.  Please reply thanks.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Re: urgent question.. PLZ HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
You could start on anything.
Have a search around the forum and you might see 1000 post asking a similar question.
There you will find your answers.
You may just have to pick up a cheap short tt frame from flatlandfuel and switch it over with your current parts.

Thats a start

Offline Leone4130

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
You don't need a flat specific bike to start out. It would make things easier, but its not necessary.
I started on a specialized with 21"TT and 14"CS and learned hitchhikers, freaksqueeks, funky chickens etc on it
Cheers and welcome to flat!

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
search the forsale section ,i'm sure you will find something cheap and good quality. ive got nothing but good things to say about buying 2nd hand from here . not having much cash doesn't have to hold you back. a lot of riders( me included) try stuff out - might not get along with the part then try something else so a bargin is sometimes easy to find . welcome 2 global -flat

Offline chuppy83

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:05:03 AM »
i just started riding flat my self.  took apart my haro and got a deco frame. still building it but it nice. flatland fuel has them on sale for 150 right now  best place too look for sales

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
Hello Skyeone, good to see you came over :)

As has been said, check out the for sale section one here. Like i said on Vital though, at your height you really don't want anything with a Top Tube over 19" & Chain Stays over 13" ... I know a few people have said don't worry about what you ride etc.. But i know you really want a Flat Specific Bike so check out the For Sale Section.. If you can pick up Parts something along the lines of these it will help you get your "Flat" Bike. :)

Frame: 18.5" to 19" Top Tube, Chain Stays under 13"

Fork: Zero Offset with at least Removable Mounts (Having at least a Front Brake WILL help when learning)

Stem: Nothing over 36mm TBH, you want something Short & Tight!

Bars: 8.25" to 9" Upsweep is great 3 to 6 depending on the Bars, No more than 6 Backsweep

Seat Post: 300mm + So you have lots of Post to get the perfect Seat Height!

Sprocket: I wouldn't go more than 23t, you want nice light gearing!

Cranks: Don't worry about Ti Spindles & all that, Just get yourself something with Crank Arms no longer than 165mm! 155-160mm is most peoples preference.

Tyres: Lots of people prefer very narrow Tyres, it helps with rolling switches faster. I myself really cannot get on with anything under 1.85"! Look for something 1.85" to 2.0"

Freecoaster: I think along with Pegs, a Freecoaster Rear Hub is really the most important thing you can get for your Flatland Bike.. I don't know how much you know about them? But it allows you to roll backwards without your Cranks engaging & spinning backwards, so you can spin & roll in all directions without your Cranks moving unless you pedal!

Pegs: Quest BMX MetaGuruStix  :P  But yeah, you want something 4.5" Long & i personally do not get along with super small O.D Pegs 1.475/1.5" Doesn't cut it for me, KILLS your feet. BUT 1.75" are rather Large! However they are GREAT on your Feet! Quest BMX MetaGuruStix offer a 1.625" O.D Kinda in between best of both worlds kinda deal! Knurled Pegs ARE better than Grip Taped Pegs.

Other than the Parts i have mentioned that are "Flat Specific" I guess :S , you could run pretty much whatever you want! Hope that helps Buddy.

Welcome to Global Flat. :beer:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:17:10 AM by Topsey »