Author Topic: Spy Pic: Ares Ashura 2014 Frame - The Return of the Bent Tubes  (Read 10912 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Spy Pic: Ares Ashura 2014 Frame - The Return of the Bent Tubes
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »

Ha, we can finally write that sentence: bent tubes are back! ;-) Ares is bringing the Ashura frame back from the dead. It lost some weight in the meantime but still looks great (check the good old version). York Uno is testing the frame and they plan to release it in 2014 as their 15th anniversary frame. How do you like it?

Phatman

Re: Spy Pic: Ares Ashura 2014 Frame - The Return of the Bent Tubes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
Oh wow! My first really Flatland Bike had a bright yellow Ashura Frame! I loved that Bike & Stupidly sold it on to buy a Street Bike! :-O My Buddy is looking to buy his first proper Flatland Bike & I'd love to see him on this! I'm sure it will have a shorter Toptube & my Buddy is a short arse haha  ;D

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
Hallelujah!!! A bent tube frame!!  ;D
Specs?
One Last Ride.

Offline maTs (Gunter)

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »
yeah!!

Offline flatnatics

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:50:16 AM »
 :huh:
No Worries...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
Uh, isn't that an AY? which was based on the Ashura? So its a revamp of of a previous model, renamed in honor of an earlier model, ridden by the same rider...?
i welcome all and any bendy frames ( i ride bendies myself, and feel they are more ergonomic than diamond frames) but i don't see the need for the equivalent of advertising "pomp".
just admit that the Ares A-plus sucked for front wheel tricks (compared to the Ay, that is), get more props from riders who know better.

Offline flatnatics

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
Agree. I want another Garuda!
Had 2 and I want another.
Found 2 new in japan a few months ago but they were the 18.7 versions.
No Worries...

Offline *Fo*

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Yes! But Garuda with about 19" will be great.

Offline flatnatics

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
They made 18.7"
No Worries...

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »
Uh, isn't that an AY? which was based on the Ashura? So its a revamp of of a previous model, renamed in honor of an earlier model, ridden by the same rider...?
i welcome all and any bendy frames ( i ride bendies myself, and feel they are more ergonomic than diamond frames) but i don't see the need for the equivalent of advertising "pomp".
just admit that the Ares A-plus sucked for front wheel tricks (compared to the Ay, that is), get more props from riders who know better.

+1

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
Yup, they did, in limited quantities; known as GARUDA SP475 FRAME.
and the frames wouldn't cost a bomb if they didn't insist on shipping Japanese made tube-sets to taiwan for machining and welding and re-shipping the packed frames back to Japan  for distribution and reshipment...
all the freight cost and taxes are passed-on to the riders.
the yen might have dropped, but Ares raised the distributors/ dealers cost; so the end product end up costing the same...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:50:27 PM by K.Wong »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »
I never understood the high cost of Ares products. They don't seem to be of super high quality or anything, yet people pay a premium on their products, especially in the US. It makes no sense to me unless you're a bike whore/fanboy.

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »

well, they had to put it a familiar name...  it could have been a DITA (my favorite frame ever), AY or Ashura. all of these frames had a bent downtube.  so it doesn't really matter. I'm just glad ares has gone back to its original ethos of a bent downtube. I just hope that the frame is produced in a larger TT vesion (18.9"?) and that it is resistant enough for harcore riders, just as their older frames were.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:04:12 PM by kabirun »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
Yup, they did, in limited quantities.
and the frames wouldn't cost a bomb if they didn't insist on shipping Japanese made tube-sets to taiwan for machining and welding and re-shipping the packed frames back to Japan  for distribution and reshipment...
all the freight cost and taxes are passed-on to the riders.
the yen might have dropped, but Ares raised the distributors/ dealers cost; so the end product end up costing the same...

Oh that's why they cost so much, thanks. The Japanese Cr-mo tubing and shipping.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
I personally have never believed that Ares use any specially exported jap tubes just for Ares.
It just doesn't make sense and smells bad.

I believe the reason why Ares prices are high, are because Japan is their core market and it is critical in protecting. If Ares parts were cheaper in other parts of the world, it could lead to issues relating to their local markets which they cant afford to loose or risk.

So respect to a brand who has helped develop their own scene and specific market.
But I don't believe their tubes are what they have claimed in the past.