Author Topic: ares ashura  (Read 5888 times)

Offline hicksy

ares ashura
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm sort of testing the water with this to see what you think my bike might be worth, I didn't post in the for sale section, it might be a bit misleading because I'm not sure whether I've got the heart to sell! Still, if the price is right...

This has been one of my most prized possessions, my sister imported this bike from Japan maybe 10 years ago during a half assed effort at learning to ride. I acquired it 5 years ago and spent a bunch of money making it as good as I thought I could. I was into flatland and made an attempt myself and getting decent at it. Truth is I couldn't learn much because I cared about the bike too much, it seems the project of doing the bike up was the biggest part of it for me. My sister didn't ride it hardly at all and I mostly just use it for getting to places so it's in wicked condition. It came to me as stock and I've changed most things other than the things I've listed as still stock! I'm not likely anymore to use the bike properly, I'm literally just keeping it cuz I love it and I'm proud of it but bigger things are heading my way like houses and babies etc.. So I'm trying to convince myself to sell it! I REALLY don't want to part it out though.

I also understand that the bike itself is a bit old school now, I've tried to modernize it a bit and I think if I keep it under this dust sheet for another 5 years it won't be worth anything anymore and nobody would have gotten to appreciate it for a while! Besides, I always wanted a garuda so maybe one day..

Stock parts:
Ares ashura frame (older model, I think they have a newer version now)
Stock Ares forks (minimum offset)
Front rim BM25 with stock front hub (nice and smooth) 48h (radial)
Th industries for Cane creek aheadset
Eighty-eight stem (risers added)
Eighty-eight pegs front and rear

Parts I've added new:

KHE mac 1.5 tires
snafu mobeus gyro
Colony cube bars
Lizard skin grips
Proper bar ends
Odyssey mono lever front
Snafu astroglide front cable
St Martin front u brake
Éclat clear pads front and rear
Odyssey dual cable rear lever
Odyssey M2 cable to gyro
Snafu astroglide silver dual cable to
Odyssey Evo 2 rear u brake
KHE sealed bottom bracket
KHE Hindenburg flat cranks
KHE ninja sprocket
KHE half link chain
Odyssey twisted pedals
Rear wheel alienation 440 rim 48h
KHE geisha light freecoaster
Alienation long seat post (pivotal)
Odyssey mr clampy 2
arestic seat, super proud of this one! I cut it down in length and you can hardly tell.

thanks for looking  :beer:

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
Re: ares ashura
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:00:22 AM »
If you have the space and you thinking about it,Don't sell!! Take it from me you will regret. Just my opinion and i speak out of my own experience.
Its ur decision. Great looking frame!!
One Last Ride.

Phatman

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »
W O W !!! My very first Flatland Bike was a Yellow Ashura. Words cannot describe how stoked i am to see this :)  Brings back a sh*t load of great memories. Thank You for sharing this, as Highlander mentioned don't you EVER get rid of this!

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
I don't know that there's a huge demand for that frame, but they're probably pretty hard to come by. Def think it through before letting it go. You might also consider parting it out as the frame itself is kindof noteworthy - probably moreso as a collectable type thing rather than a daily rider.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:47:39 AM by jm »

Offline hicksy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:31 AM »
Hey I'm glad you appreciate it! I've never really shown it to anyone before now, I never knew anybody else who was interested in flatland. It's nice to see some love for it :)

The idea of selling it has been around for a while but it's hard just thinking about it. I just wonder if I'm keeping it for the right reasons!

Thanks for you input Highlander and Topsey.

And jm too, I hear what your saying, noted. Cheers

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
I still have EVERY bike i have ever owned :P

I sold my 1st ever "brand new" bmx A Haro Mirra 540 air and my 2nd "brand new" bike Mosh DJ2 and it killed me for years later so i spent 3 years replacing them tracking down bits to rebuild them both and possibly costs 1000's of ££££'s  >:D >:D >:D

But i have them back and they are almost MINT  :beer: 

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
I still have EVERY bike i have ever owned :P

I sold my 1st ever "brand new" bmx A Haro Mirra 540 air and my 2nd "brand new" bike Mosh DJ2 and it killed me for years later so i spent 3 years replacing them tracking down bits to rebuild them both and possibly costs 1000's of ££££'s  >:D >:D >:D

But i have them back and they are almost MINT  :beer: 

Melonlover,a rider w/No Regrets!!
Read n learn.
One Last Ride.

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »
 ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^^^ :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
my sister imported this bike from Japan maybe 10 years ago during a half assed effort at learning to ride. I acquired it 5 years ago

that frame seems to me to be more a AY than a Ashura (because of the dropouts and top tube - seatstays connection)

http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/74
http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/79

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
my sister imported this bike from Japan maybe 10 years ago during a half assed effort at learning to ride. I acquired it 5 years ago

that frame seems to me to be more a AY than a Ashura (because of the dropouts and top tube - seatstays connection)

http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/74
http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/79

Not that decals are the end all, but the frame says Ashura on it on the top tube...i dunno if that would have been swapped out...somehow i doubt it. It does look like it may have been the last version, because the older ones were even more beefy, so i see what your seeing/sayin'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, nice bike man, i wouldnt sell it unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to

Offline hicksy

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
Well the popular consensus is to keep it and that's probably what I'm going to do, I imagined a situation like melon lover's and I can see myself trying to track it down or find another so that's sort of sealed it for me.

Vision street wear: I remember seeing beefier looking ashura frames in pictures online when I was doing this one up. I was always just glad I didn't have that one, I didn't like the beefier look. I cut the seat stay down a bit too, purely for aesthetics when I added the mr clampy. I still have the original eighty eight seat clamp, the stock bars and the rear wheel with unsealed freecoaster (was always acting up) and I even have the bit of seat stay I chopped off. I remember the down tube wasn't as low as I wanted so I tried my best to make it 'appear' and feel a bit lower by adding the higher bars and risers and shortening the seat stay. Seems daft now but that's just what i did!

Found this picture elsewhere of what it looked like stock. I'm trying to get hold of my sister to see if she can confirm the year she got it

Offline wesbmxr

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
That is one sweet lookin' ride. I still have my Ares ashura (aluminum version) and it's one of my favorite frames of all time. I'm like Melon, it just kills me to give up a frame (I'll give away my age and tell you I still have GT pro performers and a Hutch Trick Star). Cheers on an excellent build pal :beer: !!! Don't sell it!!