Author Topic: Jet Blue USA Planes bike experience  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Funky Chicken
Jet Blue USA Planes bike experience
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Jet Blue and putting bikes on their planes? About to buy a ticket and want to make sure I ainīt going to have problems later.. thks

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
Re: Jet Blue USA Planes bike experience
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
I haven't flown Jet Blue specifically, but if you want to avoid a lame bike charge, there is a couple of things that greatly increase your chances of avoiding one.  1.) Get one of those DK golf bags, or at the least get a large hockey goalie bag or big duffel bag large enough to put the bike in.  2.) Break the bike down as far as you can when you put it in the bag - the smaller you can make the bag the less chance of someone thinking there is a bike in there.  3.) Wear decent, non BMX clothes to the airport, nothing gives you away like BMX clothes. 4.) Make absolutely sure the bag weighs less than 50 pounds or whatever the max is these days - I got charged once ($80) for oversized and overweight luggage but they didn't even ask me if it was a bike, the price was about the same though.  50 sounds like a lot but if you are shipping tools and other gear in the bag with the bike it adds up quickly, and I'm convinced that the airline scales are tipped in their favor.  4.)  Check your bag with the skycap - tip them decently and there's a pretty good chance they won't ask questions.  The people at the counter are more likely to know what a bike bag looks like and charge you for it.  5.) If airline personnel ask you what is in the bag, you can answer "exercise equipment" without technically lying.  If security personnel ask you, tell them there's a bike in the bag.  You don't want to lie to security and they're not the ones that will charge you the bike fee anyway.  Using this method I've flown 6-8x with my bike and I've only been charged once, for the overweight bag fee.  Good luck!

Oh yeah, if you can, you might want to look into getting a Jet Blue rewards credit card, sometimes those cards offer perks (like free checked bags) that could help you travel with your bike.