Author Topic: 14mm hubs for flat and they rule!  (Read 2491 times)

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
14mm hubs for flat and they rule!
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
gonna get sh#t for this but felt i had to say i love 14mm hubs for flat ,just read someone's opinion that they are pointless/ overbuilt etc for flat. i dont think that they are pointless they allow me to land on my front axle from say barflip and not worry about bending etc.(years ago trying to land a backwards kickflip hitchhiker I snapped my front nankai hub axle and took out my ankle. i'm over 6 ft tall but im not a skinny guy . im not fat just big ( bigger if I get healthy enough one day to hit the gym again)/. To me my 14mm hollow large flange front hub is the best thing ever.14mm hubs give me confidence and I only ride flat .some guys never break 10mm axles and that rules too, but for me who's large and damn sketchy. 14mm hubs to me are anything but pointless. I remember back in the day @ southbank hearing riders say 3pc cranks were over kill for flat ( my friend " Cheggers" had redline cranks and everyone else had 1pc)- now look we all use em . shane

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: 14mm hubs for flat and they rule!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
Well said bro
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
I'm 6 ft 4 and 220 lbs and I've been running the same 3/8ths axle studs in my freecoaster for almost 4 years now. I'm not really sure how 14mm would improve things.

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
Do companys even make 14mm front hubs anymore? I know street riders dont even run 14mm!!

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
damn 2flat2furious ,you must be one nimble footed cat! i'm on a 10mm freecoaster at the moment and I can feel the axle flex . im looking forward to getting a 14mm freecoaster soon ( for peace of mind)

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
And I used to ride park and vert on an aluminum race frame cut for 14mm axles.  I was going through axles, but not frames so it made sense to cut some weight on the frame and add it on the axles.  It's all up to your riding style.

Now I use 3/8 axles on flat cause I'm not slamming them into coping and I'm under 150 lbs soaking wet.

There's no single right part for everyone and room enough for more than one product.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
I run a female hub up front, but I like 14mm in the back. Not that I'm snapping axles off; it's more a compatibility issue. Frames are switching to 14mm and I want to keep things simple. I've decided to go 14mm on pegs, frames and rear hub from here on out so there's no more dealing with two sizes. Ironically, most of the pegs out there just come in 3/8 so we're not all on the same page yet :)

Phatman

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
6'1 210lbs. 3/8ths Female Up Front & obviously i have been riding Street/Streeland for a few years now not Flat, so 14mm in the Rear. But.... I cannot even begin to explain how many 3/8ths axles i destroyed on the Rear when i was dedicated to Flat! If i could get a real, true 3/8ths Female Axle for the Rear i may consider it. BUT.... I have had my Razzia modified for 14mm Axles & my Quest MetaGuruStix modified for 14mm Axles also. There is WAY more choice in Hubs with 14mm Axles. They are Stronger, Stiffer & give me the peace of mind i will not be breaking my Bike, especially as my Bike IS my transport so if i snap an Axle i have a long walk home or i have to call up my old man to come get me haha. I'm getting this Bike built, i am getting myself fixed & i am getting back on an unbelievably dialed Bike & i want the piece of mind that EVERY single Part on it is super solid & will last me till the end of time!

P.S: Shane when's the Bike Check going up?! I am itching to see your Bike!!

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
I snapped my back axel 1 hour before voodoo jam this year... I almost cryed haha

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
I snapped my back axel 1 hour before voodoo jam this year... I almost cryed haha

Actually that made me remember a few years ago I did the same thing at a Houston contest and had to borrow a bike. Not fun!

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
The more choices there are out there, the better it is for 'us'.
What may fit one rider perfectly, may not be the best choice for another... End of the day, its YOUR bike, its YOUR time, its YOUR money that is used.
hearing others out is fine, but when it comes down to it, do what is right FOR yourself, even when you are sponsored.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »
I'm 6 ft 4 and 220 lbs and I've been running the same 3/8ths axle studs in my freecoaster for almost 4 years now. I'm not really sure how 14mm would improve things.
well,me i bend all the axles i had at my nankai and then finally they broke it must be 4 or more. i even broke a khe 14 mm hollow axle once from my reverse freecoaster.at front i run a marmoset with a 10 mm female axle and if i had a female axle same style for the freecoaster i would use it but the aluminium axle at the freecoaster got problem and then i couldnt got out the driver as the bearings were stuck..so 14 mm hollow is lighter or same weight as a 10 mm axle and still much stronger and it doesnt flex..there is no way ever to put 10 mm at the back as the problems will start again..