Author Topic: KHE - Evo 0.F Complete Bike 2014  (Read 15610 times)

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: KHE - Evo 0.F Complete Bike 2014
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
Olderthandirt, contact me at flatlandfuel and I can get you the Evo 0.F. They are available now for $529.99. We dont have them online at this time though. Spec changes from what KHE has published: no Mac tires, no Watanabe seat, no Prismatic posts (non branded parts instead).

Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:42:35 PM »
Olderthandirt, contact me at flatlandfuel and I can get you the Evo 0.F. They are available now for $529.99.

Thanks for answering all my questions and for getting the bike posted on your site so quickly so I could order it.  Now the waiting begins!  :ph34r:

Offline cartoonsandchaos

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
So.. I have a 0.f and I must say it has been nothing but trouble so far.  I bought it in the United States from ACEBMX (I know I know) but it is hard to find in the US. It came without the wantanabe seat, seatpost, the correct pegs and the mac 1 foldable tires.  The distributer has been great and says they will get them to me, but it was be atleast 2 weeks before they arrive from germany.  The internal rotor is awesome, but I have owned the bike for a week and had to replace it because the factory added an extra spacer, and the bearings in the front rim where slightly to small and had to be replaced.  They where making a terrible clicking sound (I have to thank my buddy Will and our local EMPIRE BMX for help diagnosing that).  I am torn.  I LOVE THE BIKE when it is rideable, but in a week I have only gotten a few hours out of it so far where everything is working and I am waiting two weeks for parts that where advertised on it. 

Previous to this I was still riding a 1997 Morales Flatland and have learned the geometry so well I have been scared to change.  When I get all the kinks worked out I think I will be happy, but so far less than impressed.  I will give a heads up to the people at the distributer Cycle Force Group for working with me and being really cool about getting everything I need taken care of. However, at $600 I feel like it should have gone smoother, and the waiting 2 weeks for parts that where advertised on the bike is kinda ridiculous.  I will post an update when everything is in and it is up and running right.  Anyone that is in Austin and wants to give it a ride or meet up or anything here is my facebook hit me up.. https://www.facebook.com/christopher.franco1

Offline cartoonsandchaos

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »
Patrick. You forgot to mention it now comes with no branded  steel pegs.

Also I would like to add that I replaced my broken rotor piece yesterday and now it has broken again!!! I have pics as soon as my phone charges a little more.  I have replaced that damn top  rotor piece twice in the week I have owned it. 

Patrick any chance you guys can get replacement parts for the affix rotor preferably that are not plastic!!!

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 05:33:48 AM »
Yikes... not the kind of thing I want to hear regarding a bike I just ordered.   :huh:

Is it possible to replace the Affix rotor with a regular Gyro or the like?  Looking at the pictures of the bike, I'm wondering if the fork tube would be long enough to accommodate the height necessary for a regular detangler the work.  Ugh.

Offline cartoonsandchaos

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 04:47:46 AM »
Apparently there is a "pro" affix rotor that has a metal replacement piece for the part I keep breaking but I cannot figure out where to order it.  I am so disappointed as someone that still runs brakes but hates gyros with a passion I was looking forward to this bike bigtime now I am out $600 for a bike with crap parts and rear brakes that NEVER work. Also as of today my back hub is starting to get loose. I wouldn't complain about having to adjust a freecoaster Hub but it's a week old and I can't seem to get a single session in without more problems.

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
I only wish cartoonsandchaos's post had come before I ordered my bike as I'm experiencing many of the same issues he did and I've only ridden the bike twice.  :angry: 

Patrick at FlatLandFuel.com offered to let me send the bike back before I opened the box, but that would've meant wasting a ton of money on shipping, so I opted to keep the bike and hope that it didn't have issues.  Ugh.  Wrong decision.

I'm sure KHE probably knows how to build good bikes, but it seems to me like the tried to hit a price point in the USA with the EVO 0.F and to do so, they used a lot of cheap parts.

The tires are generic and have "inflate to 35 PSI" on the side.  After only one ride, they were looking really chewed-up.  I already ordered a new set of tires because it's clear these won't last very long and I want tires that have a  100 PSI+ rating.  You'd think a dedicated flatland bike would have high PSI tires?  (Heck, even mid-PSI tires??!!)

The pedals are also generic which normally wouldn't matter to me, but they are really soft plastic.  I haven't done anything extreme with the bike, I've just been trying some basic tricks in my driveway and the pedals look shot.  Several of the plastic grip pegs have broken off (apparently just from my shoes?) and one bearing cap fell off and won't go back on because the pedal's plastic is too ground-up from hitting the driveway.

As cartoonsandchaos also mentioned, my front wheel started making odd "pinging" noises for no apparent reason.   The noise was pretty constant at the end of my first ride, then went away for most of the second ride but occasionally came back.   I can only assume it's a bearing issue.

The most annoying thing is that on my second ride, my Affix rotor broke just as cartoonsandchaos described (See attached photo).  Instead of riding my bike, I got to pull it all apart to find what broke.   While the Affix rotor works well when it's not broken, making the main parts out of plastic is just a poor design.   Why would KHE think that a little plastic table wouldn't break off when the rest of the brake assembly is metal (mostly steel)?

At the moment, I'm waiting for a response from the distributor as to what can be done to repair my bike.  I'm not good enough yet to be able to ride w/o a rear brake, so my bike will just sit until I can get new parts (and it's sunny and 70 degrees)  :angry:  As cartoonsandchaos stated, there is a "pro" Affix rotor that doesn't use plastic parts and is what I want as a replacement part but I've had no luck finding that part available online anywhere.  Heck, even the cheap plastic replacement part is only available online from a store in Holland.  This is definitely a reason to stick with a bike that uses a standard Gyro.

Now that I own the bike, it's apparent that there is no way I could retro fit it with a Gyro.   The fork is cut down too short and so there would be no room for the Gyro to work.  That means I'm pretty much stuck with hoping I can get replacement Affix rotor parts.

The broken rotor part:

On the plus side, when the bike did work, it was fun to ride.  Its very light (especially compared to my 33 lbs. GT Compe) and the zero offset fork has taken some getting used to.  If KHE had delivered the EVO 0.F with the parts they list on their web site and used a "Pro" Affix rotor, then this would probably be a bike worth having, but...

If I could go back in time, I would've spent the extra money and purchased the Ares APLUS bike instead.  Granted, it's over $100 more, but it uses a standard brake rotor is also relatively light.  Heck, I'm already going to have to spend over $100 just to get some decent tires and pedals anyway, so...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:28:54 PM by OlderThanDirt »

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Pictures of my new KHE EVO 0.F.   

Note that even though KHE like's to tout their bikes as being "made in Germany", the EVO 0.F is not.  It's made in Taiwan like everything else according to the sticker I pulled off the seat tube.

Generic, low pressure tires.  Picture taken before I rode the bike.

Generic, soft plastic pedals.  Picture taken before I rode the bike and they started falling apart.

Generic seat, good enough for me though.  The seat post is very light.

Finish quality?  Not-so-much.  Notice the nice, long permanent "drool mark" (paint run) down the fork and a lot of scuff marks that were on the bike when I got it.  (Once again, the bike hadn't been ridden when I took these photos.)

Super tiny, almost "cute" stem measures only 1-1/4" high.  I had hoped to replace it with KHE Swiss Miss handlebars, but the fork was cut too short to fit the tiny stem.  Oh well... the stem works just fine.

KHE freecoaster rear hub.

AlienNation brand name rims. 

Here's another annoying tid-bit...  The rear brake cable is too long out of the box and hits the fork and front brake when spinning the bars.  Note the now defunct Affix rotor  :angry:

My new bike along side my old GT Compe.  I bought the Compe on eBay about 2 months ago as my first BMX bike in ~25 years.  Upon receiving it, I realized it weight a ton (~33 lbs) and had really weird geometry that I didn't like much... hence the purchase of the EVO.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:52:26 PM by OlderThanDirt »

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:02:56 AM »
Update...

I was contacted today by an employee in the parts department of the Cycle Force Group regarding the issues I've been having with my bike.  They're going to get me replacement parts a.s.a.p. and ship a new, updated rotor replacement once they have it.

I also contacted KHE regarding rotor replacement parts.  The response I got is that there is a new and improved plastic rotor that will be available at USA distributors at the end of this week and the metal "Pro" rotor will be available in 4 weeks.

Offline cartoonsandchaos

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »
I have been waiting almost a month for the new rotor pieces to show up and have not seen them yet.  I do actually like the weight and geometry and now that I have the KHE seat, seatpost and mac 1 tires things are  somewhat better.  I had my front rim replaced and the new one is doing the same thing.  I had a local shop put some industrial filler in there because the bearings are just to small and it seems to be holding up alright for now, but I will need a new hub soon. The guys at Cycle Force Group the distributer have been great to work with, but it is still a terrible product.  It is specced TERRIBLY!!! and the front hub is complete junk.  I am not normally one to complain but it kills me that my bonus went to such a complete piece of junk.   I have only had the plastic affix rotor working for a few days the entire 2 months I have had this bike.  Also watch out I got caught in the rain and it started dripping rust.  Which seems odd to me for just a little but of rain

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 05:05:33 AM »
I agree that when the bike works, it's a nice bike.  The Cycle Force Group sent me some new high pressure KHE tires, new pedals, and a replacement rotor piece.   I didn't care that the seat is generic... it'll do.  We shall see how long this new rotor piece lasts.

Did you put any grease on your rotor?   I can very easily see how rust could form where the Affix rotor is.  KHE should probably paint the inside of the head tube and the fork post to prevent rust.   I'm assume that if water gets in the head tube, it'll just sit there unless it can find a way to drain out of the lower headset bearing.   My bike wouldn't likely get wet unless I wash it... but washing it could certainly result in a lot of water getting in the head tube.

Offline cartoonsandchaos

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
The head tube didn't rust (which I was expecting) there was rust ooze coming out of the frame.  I havent bought a new bike in a long time (I still rode a 94 Morales before this) but I can't remember that happening before.  I was riding in a parking lot next to my job.  It started to downpour so I threw the bike in the back of my truck and drove home.  It wasn't Ideal, and I hate that it got wet at all, but the amount of rust coming out of it was a lot.

Also, something odd.  When they sent you the replacement parts did you happen to have to return them?  They sent me a return label and the address was a WALMART in IA.  I have no idea why Cycle Force Group would want me to send the parts to a Walmart, but that is where those parts belong.   

I did grease the head tube on my second rotor piece replacement. 

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:09 AM »
I don't recall having rust come out of any BMX bikes I've owned in the past either, but then again, I usually didn't get them wet.   The 2012 GT Compe I just got rid had small holes in various parts of the frame (vents for the welding process or something?) and the holes were rusty.  I'm sure if any amount of water got in the holes, there would've been a small rusty-river coming out. 

As for the WalMart thing... that's interesting.  I can't find any evidence on the InterWebs of CFG being a part of WalMart.  I didn't have any return label in the box I got and wasn't asked to send the old parts back... probably because all the parts I asked to have replaced were used and/or broken.

Regardless of who owns CFG, their customer service is top-notch and the person I spoke to wasn't any more excited about the poor quality of the EVO bike parts that I am.   As the "middle man" between us and KHE, they get to deal with the complaints from KHE's bikes.  I'm sure our experiences will result in feedback to KHE because it's costing CFG money.

Cycle Force Group LLC designs and manufacture bicycles, parts, and accessories for mass retailers, sporting goods retailers, e-commerce retailers, distributors and jobbers, and OEM customers in the United States and internationally. It provides bikes; and accessories, such as apparel, helmets, hydration products, maintenance products, and parts. Cycle Force Group LLC was formerly known as Cycle Source Group LLC and changed its name to Cycle Force Group LLC in July 2008. The company was founded in 1998 and is based in Ames, Iowa. As of June 2008, Cycle Force Group LLC operates as a subsidiary of Cycle Force UK Ltd.

Offline cartoonsandchaos

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »
I have to agree with how great Cyclefg has been.  I have dealt with Nyle (owner I think), Caleb (KHE Sales Guy), and Steve (parts guy) and they are all top notch.  There have been a few times through this process I have gotten frustrated, mainly waiting a month for the parts to arrive from Germany, but they have been great. 

Offline 1

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
hmm