Author Topic: GF's OldSkoolGeorge Benefit and Jam  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
GF's OldSkoolGeorge Benefit and Jam
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
On August 18th, 2013 at the Sonoma Bike Expo in Santa Rosa, Ca., life-long flatland BMX rider, Jorge Luzuriaga, was assaulted and beaten badly by a handful of thugs. After being hit on the head and continued to be beat, kicked and punched, Jorge was left unconscious in the street with a multitude of broken bones, kicked in teeth and a dislocated shoulder.

Jorge - "Old Skool George" or "OSG" - is a true gem in the NorCal BMX community. His "down for anything" attitude brings riders together in such a way that he is adored by all who meet him. Originally from Mexico, he waxes nostalgic about his competing and show days and time spent with his BMX heroes from Team GT back in the 80's and 90's.These days, he makes it a priority to be at every BMX event that occurs in the Greater Bay Area and beyond. He has a talent for videography and photography.

With the beating, the thugs stole his new phone, camera, camera equipment and his beloved flatland BMX bike.

Here's where the flatland community comes in...

Ever since I've known Jorge, he's ridden the same, beat up, welded-and-rewelded bike. All his parts are old and second hand used parts. The last time he cracked his frame, I told him is was "time for an upgrade" and humbly he expressed he couldn't afford it - and therefore welded it again.

Jorge supports he and his wife while she attends medical school to better their lives. He sacrifices a lot for the situation, but does it with a grin and a smile. Money is tight, and this has set them back even further. Replacing his bike will be very difficult.

With medical and dental bills on the horizon, I am asking the BMX community to come forward and reach into their pockets to help us buy Jorge a BRAND NEW BIKE. No more second hand stuff, no pieced together franken-bike... but a new, updated awesome ride he could be proud of. Whatever you have, whether it be $1 or $100, please help us in this cause to raise the $1,200 it will take to get him something really, really, nice. After the bike purchase, anything left over will be used to help the Luzuriaga's with any bills they have.

We will also be hosting a benefit jam in San Jose, Ca. More details to come.

Thank you for your support.

Thank you for helping a friend.

Thank you for your kind generosity.

Please share this with as many flatland riders you know.

-Dion

Link to the donation site is HERE
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:38:54 AM by Dion »

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: GF's OldSkoolGeorge Benefit and Jam
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
This is really sad news and its great to see Dion set up this fundraiser to help George. Get well soon George.  B)

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
Reposted this over at the Museum.

What a sh*tty deal-but at least he's still here, could have been worse as people are getting killed for much less these days. Bikes and cameras can be replaced, people on the other hand...

Get well soon brother.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »
Woke up this morning to find that we've already raised a grand and there's been a confirmation of a generous donation of a frame, fork and bars. I'm not going to say what it is because I want to surprise Jorge, but it's DOPE!

Thanks again everybody. Anything left over will help with bills and buying the man three new teeth. I'm talking today to NorCal Squirrel about the venue in San Jose, Ca.