Author Topic: What are the worst flatland injuries that you have seen?  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
What are the worst flatland injuries that you have seen?
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
I remember hearing about a guy at a contest once in the 1990's in Dallas that broke his leg doing a gutlever or some other type handstand maneuver.  Have any of you guys been injured while riding flat?

Offline Norbon2wheels

• 4 wheels > 2 wheels > 1 wheel (simple evolution)
    • Norbon2wheels' Youtube channel. Please check it out!
Re: What are the worst flatland injuries that you have seen?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
My greatest injury was a few years ago: at that time i could push myself from the ground to roll Hang5-s, so i was learning the ride in (pushing the bars forward and shifting my weight) for those, when it happened! All i remember was i pushed the bars with too much force, making my bike flip over. I tried to jump the bars as i already learned, but i messed up on that! My right foot caught the right grip, and i pulled the bike after myself in the air for a short but painfull 2 metre flight. For my damn luck, i landed on my right big toe, putting all my weight on it for a mere second. That short pain really brought tears to my eyes, but has soon passed. That resulted in a nice crack in my right big toe. The upcoming 3 weeks taking my shoes on and off, aswell as placing weight on that toe was painfull! I had to take that time off my bike what really pissed me off.  That has passed quite some time now, since that i only got some small scratches from riding, nothing serious. No matter if you have some injuries, the most important thing is after recovering from such thing, you shouldn't give up on the sport. Best motto i can add here is: "if you aren't falling, you aren't trying hard enough"! Don't be afraid of the different outcomes, just try to enjoy your time spent on your bike! That is what matters! :)

Offline Bau

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
"if you aren't falling, you aren't trying hard enough"

:')

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
Not mine, but I remember back in the day on one of the older forums a guy told the story of how he went down on a time machine and landed with the peg right on the tip of his finger on the ground, basically chopping it off. The photos were harsh!

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
Hamstring injury twice in a years time.  Very lucky that I didn't need surgery.

It's part of the game though so whatevs.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
I haven't seen too many grarly injuries, but awhile back I got a 2nd degree tear to my groin where it attached to the bone. Basically disconnecting part of it, after tearing some muscle. It was brutal, and left my whole thigh purple. Took about a year to get the strength back.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »
BITD I used to do Hang 5s at full speed so I could go fast and far, well during the late 90's ,I got the itch to ride again  so I bought a Slammer got home and thought I'd show off for the kids on the street. I got cranking down the street and popped up way to hard and fast endoed and put my hands down to keep my grill from gettin blown out and basically degloved my right hand and ground off most of my left hand.....didnt touch the bike for 3 months, that scared the Sh!t outta me..Stupid little bike!..

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »
Not mine, but Todd Gully's anderson crash (dubbed the scorpion king) was a bad one and is on youtube actually.  I've also seen Hrio Tschida take a smith decade down B.I.T.D, resulting in the peg (steel GT tube rides) and pedal getting him in the back & kidneys at the IBM building.
Mine was probablly a Gut Lever gone wrong.  I hit a crack in the ground while up in position, flipped OTB and dislocated some toes.
All my major injuries came after 89 when I started riding park/ramp

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:25:23 AM »
Norbon2wheels,
I had a similar injury a few months back.  Ask Flatland Fanatic, he was there.  I was just doing a simple lard yard and leaned too far forward that flew face first to the ground.   Well, I guess I tried to catch myself with my left foot and kicked straight down on my left big toe.  Automatic fracture....