Author Topic: Double Front Brake  (Read 5984 times)

Offline seb

• Hitchhiker
Double Front Brake
« on: January 05, 2006, 11:54:13 AM »
Hello,
Could anybody tell me how to mount a double front brake system and which kind of hardware I'll need to ?

Thank you

Offline Beail

• Hitchhiker
    • Declaim.co.uk
Double Front Brake
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »
dunno but im interested to know also as i have been considering a double front brake setup!

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
Double Front Brake
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:53:11 PM »
ummm theres a cople of ways which ive seen but im not to sure how they work really but when i did it for like a week  (haha) i used a lower gyro cable. which kind of worked but didnt have much braking power but then again im sh*t with brakes thats why im brakless  :ph34r:  

Offline Malda

Double Front Brake
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:41:14 PM »
Hi, a little help for you.Use this part to make double front brake ...
http://www.flatlandfuel.com/  -> Brake Pads and Misc : Lucky Bolt

Offline Flatride

• Deathtrucker
    • Facebook
Double Front Brake
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:03:10 AM »
The easiest way to do double fronts is to use a long (uncut) brake cable and pass it through the brake, bring it back up the head tube and lock it up with the lucky bolt. Make sure everything is greased very well.
I tried double fronts for a couple of times. Worked well indeed and you can do hella lot more tricks with them, but for me it was just too much maintenance. Besides, as a brakeless rider, I got used not to rely on the brakes that much.

Offline seb

• Hitchhiker
Double Front Brake
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:18:43 PM »
Thank you for your help, I'll try this lucky bolt and show you what it looks like.

Offline seb

• Hitchhiker
Double Front Brake
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 02:10:55 PM »
marksou3  from agoride's forum gave me this link.

this page is in french but you have some pics.
I'll try to post a quick translation soon.

Offline Caneko

Double Front Brake
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:44:30 PM »
B) wow!! looks better, I'll try this new one

Offline seb

• Hitchhiker
Double Front Brake
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
yes, but as it's said in this how to.
the same cable goes from the first lever to the other passing by the brakes itself. so when you want to readjust your setup you have to make it all from scratch.  :(  

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Double Front Brake
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »
Yeah, if you could get it in English that would be good.
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Jack-O.

• Hitchhiker
Double Front Brake
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
I'll translate it for you and edit this post when I've finished.

Edit: The double front brake allows to brake the front brake with the right and the left lever. On a technical point of view it's one cable (only one) that leaves the one lever passes the brake and comes back to the other lever. The cable will be measured closed. (Place one metal ball into the the lever and measure where the other side will be set on the other lever.) This method has got one disadvantage, you have to begin from scratch if you want to readjust or change your brake cable. (Overview/Photos 1 and 2)

Material: The pieces that come with the front brake. A Slick cable (Teflon).
A Oddysey Knarps or something like that.

This cable adjuster it's generally set to the position you can see there.

Installation:

At first loose the screws that hold the brake cable.

Install the cable adjuster to your brake and the other thing you can see on the pic. (It's possible that's necessary to bore a bigger hole.)

Cut the sheath into 2 equal pieces. ( It avoids that you always have one lever that feels harder during brakings. )

Install the cable and one of the sheaths as you would install a single brake lever system ( consider that the cable hasn't been cut yet) Comment: The cable isn't blocked at all, only from the other lever.

It is there that that becomes complicated.  The goal of the operation consists in tightening the cable and to place cable at the good place tightens it.  Thus you have the sheath and the cable (which I recall it exceeded) in the right hand, slightly close again the jaw with your left hand (the way of which you will close again the jaw with your hand is decisive since it is with that that you will regulate the basic difference between the shoes and the rim).  You can block the jaws in half-closed position using Scotch tape for example.  To plate the sheath of brake against the thrust of cable with your left hand, tighten a little the brake cable which with completely had to slacken during all this time, maintain the sheath.  During this time with your right hand, put the cable clamp on the cable, and try to judge for which level it would have to be tightened so that it returns in the hole of the lever which normally accomodates the small metal ball at the end of the brake cables (it is preferable that you leave a little bit of margin).  When you think of having to find the place adequate tighten it (especially not à.fond for the moment!),  so that it crushes a little the cable, ensure that the cable is nevertheless a tended minimum, that will avoid oneself tightening as nutcases the screws which tighten the cable on the levers, best would be to be to two, one which tend the cable and the other which places the cable clamp where it is necessary.  Withdraw the cable clamp, you can stop maintaining the sheath with your left hand.  Cross to the cutting pliers the cable approximately 2-3 mm after the mark made while tightening serves it cable (have good cutting pliers or your cable will be exhausted and it will not pass any more in the greenhouse cables).  Give the cable clamp to the place of your mark, since you cut the cable after the mark the cable should not exceed cable clamp.  You can tighten the cable clamp now well (it is a small screw allen which should be tightened, you will realize there once that you will have a cable clamp in hand).  Attention, once tight the cable becomes almost a cable of single use, indeed it will be exhausted because of this tightening, therefore you do not mislead, leave a little margin rather when you carry out the mark quit to start again the operation several times by decreasing the margin.

Put the sheath and the cable correctly in the lever, and the turn is played.

The last part was translated with google, because i'm out of time. But i think google did good work this time. The other parts we're translated by me so i'm sorry if it's isn't accurate. :>
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:08:33 PM by Lurch© »

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Double Front Brake
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 11:44:07 PM »
THANKS!
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com