Author Topic: Best Front Brake?  (Read 7212 times)

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
Best Front Brake?
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
Recently, I went to market a new front brake and I was surprised to find that there is really not that many options when it comes to front brakes  ???

and when looking at the newer designs.. I noticed that all of them had angles on the arms that prevent front brake use  >:(

So.. My question is.. What brake do you run that is still in production that would be a great subsitute to the ever popular 1st generation Suelo brake?  ::)

For those who don't know about the 1st generation Suelo's.. They sat really close to the fork.. almost as if they were not there  :beer:

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Best Front Brake?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:10:51 PM »
KHE Pro brakes.  The best.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »
They definitely are one of the best imo.

Phatman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
Odyssey Evo2s are pretty damn good brakes!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »
Suelo's are probably the best, in design and power,
Revenge are also very solid but bulky and almost impossible to find,
Odyssey evo II are the best quality for the price,
Dia-compe 990 are still very good but harder to adjust the pads...
St.martins were good but they don't make them anymore,
Demolition Vulcan also works up front and is a great choice,

then you have KHE Pro, Mankind Truth, Colony Transformer, and some others I haven't tried yet.

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!  :beer: I agree... The Suelo fronts are the best overall.  Those khe's look similar to the Suelos that are closer to the forks, so I might give those a try  ::)

But I did look at those Demolition Vulcans just now  and if they will work like you say.. I will look into them as well, Thanks  :beer:

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »
No love for Hombres? I had Evo 2s for one day and I could never get them working right. The springs just felt really weird for some reason. Hombre's though, they're perfect.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »
I run Hombres, cheap and work fine for me. Not the prettiest tho.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
Evos are my favorite.

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »
Hombres.. I have used them in the past, but I do not remember if they sat close enough to the fork or not???  ::) Its been a while..

The Evo's use to come with an extra set of springs yes? That's just complicating things  ???

Offline bhaverchuck

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:19 AM »
Save yourself money and purchase a set of Hombres. Pair it with an Odyssey Slic cable and your set.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
No love for Hombres? I had Evo 2s for one day and I could never get them working right. The springs just felt really weird for some reason. Hombre's though, they're perfect.
Unless, of course, you have the newest flatware forks.  The hombre's will rub on the fork legs due to the insanely low stack height of the brake lugs.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
yeah I really wish I knew about the clearance issues of that brake with older oddy forks. just ran into that problem while tring to switch to them

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 03:44:17 AM »
I had that issue with the hombres on the newer flatwares...i have a fix..but it's not for everyone...basically i took a dremel sanding drum to the brass cylinder on the brakes and made it shorter and it fixed the problem. Took less than 5 minutes. I know some folks wont wanna do that to their brakes but it really doesnt harm anything and i did use the brakes on other forks after that.

Just food for thought.

As for the main point of this topics....i like the hombres. I liked the Evo's as well, but for the price, you cant beat Hombres!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:00:12 AM by VisionStreetWear »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Unless, of course, you have the newest flatware forks.  The hombre's will rub on the fork legs due to the insanely low stack height of the brake lugs.

I have the newest flatware forks and the hombres rub. Oddysseys response so far has been "heh, whoops!"