Yes
11 (55%)
No
7 (35%)
Sometimes
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 29, 2013, 06:40:37 PM

Author Topic: Got Brakes?  (Read 9023 times)

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Got Brakes?
« on: June 29, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
Should we make a option of no mounts or use removable mounts only for our frames? What do you want/prefer?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:42:12 PM by Joshua S. »
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Phatman

Re: Got Brakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:59:54 PM »
None! Seriously removable mounts ruin the look of a frame UNLESS they are the Fly Bikes "Dylans Mounts" but as your frames are US made i highly doubt you will be able to get them. What you could do is get a batch of say 20 Frames done? If you have 2 colours i don't know Black? & Raw offer 10 of each in brakeless. OR you could offer brakeless versions for pre-order only?

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
None! Seriously removable mounts ruin the look of a frame UNLESS they are the Fly Bikes "Dylans Mounts" but as your frames are US made i highly doubt you will be able to get them. What you could do is get a batch of say 20 Frames done? If you have 2 colours i don't know Black? & Raw offer 10 of each in brakeless. OR you could offer brakeless versions for pre-order only?

We'll see.  B)

Don't just vote we would like to hear from others about this topic.
Do you like removable mounts? If you ride brakes 'Sometimes' how long?
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
Removable brake mounts suck. They just rip out.

[/size]Just save yourself a tonne of work and sell them with welded brake mounts. If people dont like mounts they will cut them off. Every BMXer should know how to use a angle grinder.[size=78%][/size][size=78%] [/size] ;D

I used to ride brakeless and I asked Travis Collier the same question, and that was his answer.

A real flat rider wouldnt be put off a frame if it has mounts. If hit has the right angles and length they will buy it if it had mounts or not.
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:24 AM »
"Just save yourself a tonne of work and sell them with welded brake mounts. If people dont like mounts they will cut them off. Every BMXer should know how to use a angle grinder."

Selling frames with welded mounts will only limit your setup. That's one reason they have/are fading out.
If you decided you wanted to ride back brakes but you hacked them off then what... with removable you just screw the mounts back in. Vise Versa.
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:24:31 AM »
I agree with Bri-Jon on how it is pointless for a back brake rider to have removable mounts  ??? The point is they just don't work and rip out after putting real use on them.

He is also right about.. If a REAL FLATLANDER likes the angles and length of a frame... they would buy it regardless  :beer:

As for your reply that welded mounts only limit your set up... then why are you asking us for??????  ???

and nothing has faded out  ??? Removable mounts where made up so that companies could save money by producing one frame that is UNIVERSAL.. in other words limit cost and up the gain for them.
You are in a Business that is saturated, so you're already in over your head if you are not going to give the people what they want or need for that. That is why the real leaders of this Business offer Back Door Customizations for the rider that got left out.

Listen to the riders that have already voiced their opinion.. so far you have 3 against 1 in favor of something that you said faded out. If you dont listen then you will be on the Clearence isle before you know it, but most likely your going to be another Mike Brady selling the same 75 head angle short rear end low seat tube frames as everyone else.. stuck in the sea of LIMITS  ;D

Think outside the Box! We might grab at it  :beer:

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:25:46 AM »
"Just save yourself a tonne of work and sell them with welded brake mounts. If people dont like mounts they will cut them off. Every BMXer should know how to use a angle grinder."

Selling frames with welded mounts will only limit your setup. That's one reason they have/are fading out.
If you decided you wanted to ride back brakes but you hacked them off then what... with removable you just screw the mounts back in. Vise Versa.

NO! Removable limits us. Yes cutting your mounts off limits you. But it also voids your warranty.  So most wouldnt do it unless you really wanted to go brakeless. Now for us who really want to have brakes are f*cked as we rip them right out and then we have to do the long warranty job which puts US THE CUSTOMER out of pocket more by shipping it to you. 

You ask for comments but in the end you all ready have decided on what you want to do with this frame. You are even paying to have frames with different dropouts as you are determined to have them. But you ask us what we want and when we tell you come up with excuses.

this what I would do for the customers (100 is an example)

have the 2 size frames like you stated

2 colours for each frame size( a colour that is popular at the moment say black or raw and something that is different/stands out... like most company's do)
All have open dropouts and welded brake mounts.

so say I ordered 100 to be made, 50 one size 50 the other size. They will built all one size then all the other size to save time on changing jigs and cutting the tubes ect...

when it goes to paint all you say is this batch 25 one colour 25 the other colour.
when the next size batch comes in 25 one colour 25 the other colour.

DONE.

What you want to do is

have 2 sizes, two choices of droupouts, maybe 2 choices of colours, maybe some with welded brake mounts the rest with with removable mounts...

the more you complicate the types the more likely the welding shop will mess up and do to many/less or the painters will.
And you dont want to have 10 frames not selling because you HAD to have enclosed dropouts. All company's hate stock not moving.

And if your just going to orders one off's and not order in a batch, they why dont we just order the one off ourselves from standard? And choose what we like?

Please tell us how many you want to make and we on global will help you out. If not then dont ask for our feedback. As we all know so far that we know alot more about the industry than you so far.

What is your experience with BMX anyways? What would you say to convince someone from buying another well know frame company than yours?

And this is not to "dig" at you. I really dont think you are thinking about the customer and also the business side aswell.

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 04:16:31 AM »
Hold on a minute you have 2 frames one made by Standard the other by FBM and each have 3 sizes?

and as I said before, we want to help you not bash you. If you feel better to talk to me through pm then do so.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
I agree with Bri-Jon on how it is pointless for a back brake rider to have removable mounts  ??? The point is they just don't work and rip out after putting real use on them.
He is also right about.. If a REAL FLATLANDER likes the angles and length of a frame... they would buy it regardless  :beer:
As for your reply that welded mounts only limit your set up... then why are you asking us for??????  ???
and nothing has faded out  ??? Removable mounts where made up so that companies could save money by producing one frame that is UNIVERSAL.. in other words limit cost and up the gain for them.
You are in a Business that is saturated, so you're already in over your head if you are not going to give the people what they want or need for that. That is why the real leaders of this Business offer Back Door Customizations for the rider that got left out.
Listen to the riders that have already voiced their opinion.. so far you have 3 against 1 in favor of something that you said faded out. If you dont listen then you will be on the Clearence isle before you know it, but most likely your going to be another Mike Brady selling the same 75 head angle short rear end low seat tube frames as everyone else.. stuck in the sea of LIMITS  ;D
Think outside the Box! We might grab at it  :beer:

Thanks for the feedback and I understand what you are saying... I'll listen to any suggestions anyone has for brake mounts.
Can you show me examples of removable mounts that have ripped out? Thanks.

www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »
removable mounts ripping out?? ive run back brakes only and use the removable mounts on the flatware and they are great! seems weird they can just rip out...

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Me too Mannie, I had removables on my Strowler and now the DECO, never a problem...I removed them several times and re-installed easily. and I use those brakes contantly!

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
OMG! LMAO.. Now you're just insulting our intelligence  >:(   You sir have already failed at your attempt to please the masses  ::)

You need to learn more before you jump into the sea of unknown  :beer:

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »
Who is Mike Brady?    (Besides the guy on the Brady Bunch)?

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
I would say include them, even though only a small number of flatlanders ride back brakes these days.

Do you guys really have problems tearing out removeable back brake mounts? Wow.  All my bikes so far have had welded mounts until the Intrikat I just bought.  On what frames?  Sound like they need to make the seat stays with thicker tubing around where the mounts screw in...

Phatman

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:45 PM »
I cannot find the photos, i even had them saved on my laptop but i had a clean up a couple of months back. The ones i have personally seen torn from the frames are Fly Bikes EBS mounts, the whole welded in lug ripped out of the frames seat stays! It look pretty damn Gnarly! I have NEVER seen any US style removable brake mounts rip the actual welded lug out of the frame but i have seen NUMEROUS mounts threads strip out because of the brake power being too much for the mounts & obviously then the frame is ruined if you want to run rear brakes again. I have heard of a couple of companies replacing the stripped frames though. Also a quite well known bike company had a whole batch of frames made with the removable mount lugs welded wonky so you couldn't run a brake at all! Personally if you want to use Removable Mounts Please, Please, Please, PLEEEEEASE use Fly Bikes Dylans Mounts. They original style removable mounts, they look SO much cleaner no welds around the lug that just ruins the frames clean lines when brakeless. I know 4 or 5 people who are still running frames with this style of removable mounts & have run brakes on them since their release, absolutely no damage done to the frame, brake or mounts.

Fly Bikes Dylans Mounts are what you want to use if you really have to have removables!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:13:09 PM by Topsey »