Author Topic: What kind of shoes are best?  (Read 23584 times)

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
What kind of shoes are best?
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:27:47 AM »
Nike's, DC's, skate shoes, Vans, etc...?  Hi-tops, Lo-tops?  What do you prefer?

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
Re: What kind of shoes are best?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
i use nike's hi-top since a cuople  of years ago and in my opinion they are really good. they give a good foot protection and if you buy the older models they are pretty cheap.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:50 PM »
I've been riding the mid top loteks for a few years now. Mid top for ankle protection, lotek bc I like the feel.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
I prefer cup soles over vulcanized soles because they don't get destroyed as fast with flatland. Been wearing my first set of Etnies Number mid tops and they're great. Pretty lightweight, really cushiony, and I like the way I can put them on or off just with the velcro strap and keep them laced. I got midtops for the first time because I was also sick of knocking my ankles into my bike when I fall.

Phatman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:18 PM »
I have Etnies x Fit Benny L RVM shoes they are quality, i love the flex in the sole! They are mid tops which is pretty much my preferred style of shoe. Etnies offer a model called the Brake which is specifically designed for riding BMX its a low top shoe though so i wouldn't personally use them but they are supposedly awesome.

I just picked up a pair of Almond Belmont Premium shoes. They are Leather & mid top again, they are BEAUTIFUL, like really, really high quality, comfortable & look awesome. I managed to pick them up half price, but they are a bit pricey at full price. But they are fantastic shoes, if their other models are anything like these i would wholeheartedly recommend!

Offline DBZ

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »
F Y T W

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
The Nike Airflight (89's) have the stiffest bottom out of all the shoes I've used for riding.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
Ive been riding with Etines Faders. NOT the vulc ones. They hold up well and have a good stiff bottom.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »
I prefer cup soles over vulcanized soles because they don't get destroyed as fast with flatland. Been wearing my first set of Etnies Number mid tops and they're great. Pretty lightweight, really cushiony, and I like the way I can put them on or off just with the velcro strap and keep them laced. I got midtops for the first time because I was also sick of knocking my ankles into my bike when I fall.

I got a pair of Etnies Number and thought they were total trash. They flexed like CRAZY after one session.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
The Nike Airflight (89's) have the stiffest bottom out of all the shoes I've used for riding.

No way. The two cutouts on the sole make them bend like crazy.

Allllllll shoes are sh*t if your feet are big :\

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 11:58:53 PM »

I got a pair of Etnies Number and thought they were total trash. They flexed like CRAZY after one session.

They definitely aren't very supportive in the ankle region, but they protect my ankles from impacts. Is that what you're talking about when you say they flexed?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
Right at the ball of the foot they flex a ton. Not only that, there's no support for if you're pivoting at all because the sole gives in so badly. There's just little to no support, and very little cushioning on the sides. They're just absolute sh*t shoes.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
Well I haven't learned pivots yet so I haven't noticed that. You're saying the sole is basically too spongy and what you prefer is a hard sole that keeps flat on pivot tricks? Just making sure I understand.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 06:47:25 AM »
Yeah its really squishy. There's no real support. It bends and gives way too easily. I need something really stiff, which apparently doesn't exist anymore.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
Been riding in Nike air force 1 and love them
You look like Marty McFly!