Author Topic: THE [ST]ROLLERCOASTER - A new take on the rollercoaster  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Alex Worden

• Hitchhiker
THE [ST]ROLLERCOASTER - A new take on the rollercoaster
« on: June 17, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »

A new vision of the rollercoaster has arrived.

Unlike its predecessors, with this rollercoaster you can run any rear hub you want because the [st]rollercoaster has been designed to operate within the bottom bracket.

The [st]rollercoaster bottom bracket enables the locking of the cranks through backpedaling, effectively stopping the pedals while the rear wheel is free to roll. Additionally, with the [st]rollercoaster the internal system can be flipped within the bottom bracket enabling you to lock the pedals by pedaling forwards.

The goal of the [st]rollercoaster is to open the door for new tricks and positions for both the new and old schools. The [st[rollercoaster is in its final stages of R&D and is currently being prototyped for the final product. Stay tuned.

Sincerely,
Alex Worden

Inventor | Rider | Website

Phatman

Re: THE [ST]ROLLERCOASTER - A new take on the rollercoaster
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
Hmmm, So the cranks will stay perfectly still? What happens if you want to move the pedals into a different position does this mean the hub (I'm guessing you could use a cassette with this system?) would engage? Sending you flying depending on what trick you are doing?! I am very interested in this design & i look forward to seeing more!

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
Interesting ...waiting for a more detailed description on how this works fowards and backwards ..

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:26:10 PM »
=

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
something new.. finally... and well done .. well done..

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »
I'm lost...I can run one of my cassette hubs with this setup?

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:41:56 AM »
'a rollercoaster w/out the hub' sounds more confusing than it should.  i once had a suntour start locking up on me rollercoaster style and had quite a bit of fun w/ it

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
The original Rollercoaster concept was invented by Kevin Jones I think.  The way it works is that your back hub would lock up and brake like a coaster brake if you backpedaled.  However, the wheel would continue to roll instead of brake, unlike a coaster brake.  You could see Kevin in a few of the Dorkin' Videos utilizing this setup while doing backwards rolling megaspins on the pedal.  One of the reasons that this particular setup never took off was because it was hard to keep the hub working properly.  Now, it seems that Alex Worden has created a new technology that allows the locking mechanism to be in the bottom bracket and not in the hub, which will probably be much more reliable.  It sounds like a great idea.  It would definitely open up a lot of doors for new tricks.  For example, Day Smith does a no footed elbow glide while sitting on the pedal, but he has to hold in his back brake for the trick to work.  With this setup, he could do it without the brake.  Alex has a few videos out there showing how this setup works. 

Another cool idea would also be to make the entire freecoaster mechanism in the bottom bracket instead of in the back hub.  If that idea ever happens and takes off.... we will all be running super light front hubs on our back wheels....

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
Another cool idea would also be to make the entire freecoaster mechanism in the bottom bracket instead of in the back hub.  If that idea ever happens and takes off.... we will all be running super light front hubs on our back wheels....

hummm no, it would be more probably a rear track hub (and thats' usually heavier than a front hub) or a normal rear hub.. but who knows except the inventors?

and about them ,
Shawn White is supposed to work on a solution like that..
http://www.flatmattersonline.com/the-friday-interview-bizhouses-shawn-white-discusses-the-rachet-sprocket

Phatman

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
The whole Ratchet Sprocket thing isn't new in the bike world. You can get Trials cranks (In Flatland friendly sizes too i might add) with a thread for a Freewheel & then you run a Cassette on the back, this means that when the bike rolls backwards the Freewheel on the front & the cassette driver on the back still rotate but as the chain moves backwards the cranks stay wherever you have put them. With this set-up it also means instant engagement, no more Freecoaster slack! It also opens up a whole new world of ultra light cassette hubs E.G Tree Straight Pull. 14.5oz!

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
The whole Ratchet Sprocket thing isn't new in the bike world. You can get Trials cranks (In Flatland friendly sizes too i might add) with a thread for a Freewheel & then you run a Cassette on the back, this means that when the bike rolls backwards the Freewheel on the front & the cassette driver on the back still rotate but as the chain moves backwards the cranks stay wherever you have put them. With this set-up it also means instant engagement, no more Freecoaster slack! It also opens up a whole new world of ultra light cassette hubs E.G Tree Straight Pull. 14.5oz!

ey, that seems to be a clever solution! Even if I (and I guess, we) have never seen/heard of somebody experimenting that installation on his bike for flatland purpose.
I can imagine a big disavantage: that could be very noisy ; clic clic clic clic everytime

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »

Has anybody actually ever tried this?
As somehow I cant help but think it wouldnt work.

Phatman

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
I am soooo very tempted to try it myself. I have run that set up on my personal trials bike. Obviously it is good for trials being able to roll back a little without the cranks changing position. I have thought about doing it for YEARS. There are plenty of Trails cranks that are insanely light, have the threading for a freewheel & also as mentioned some of the cassettes nowadays are very,very light. The only problem i have found when i looked into doing it. Is Trials cranks run ISIS Bottom Brackets & its very difficult to find one that would fit Mid Bearings which is the BB i run personally. There is a new company offering a spanish version for their Trials frame but it is wider than a standard BMX B.B. It seems like to could be quite easy to do but when you look into it there's a lot more to it that just slapping a Freewheel'd Crank set up on a Flatland Bike. Also as mentioned there will be A LOT of clicking haha.

Phatman

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
Damn that's cool. Just need a ISIS Mid BB & we'd be in business! I have a nice little project in the works though! Can't wait to show it off to the world!