Author Topic: oven cleaner strips anodizing?  (Read 3729 times)

oven cleaner strips anodizing?
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:31:24 AM »
I heard from around the way that oven cleaner strips anodizing off of parts. Just wanted to know if any of y'all have experience with this?

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
Re: oven cleaner strips anodizing?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 07:47:40 AM »
Caustic soda strips anodizing. It's a white powder that normally comes in a plastic bottle - the stuff that Brad Pitt burns Ed Nortons hand with in Fight Club. It's what you use to unblock drains with and should be available at any supermarket or general store. You can even wash clothes with a really diluted solution of it.

Anyway - anodizing. Add quite a lot of caustic soda slowly to about a litre of water in a plastic or glass bowl. Drop in you aluminium parts and the anodizing comes off like a coloured dye leaving your parts all raw and sexy. Do this outside. The fumes are totally harmless but they can irritate your eyes and throat a bit.

Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »
rad. Thanks alot

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »
Kaboom! No he is right on the money!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:12:27 PM »
Caustic soda strips anodizing. It's a white powder that normally comes in a plastic bottle - the stuff that Brad Pitt burns Ed Nortons hand with in Fight Club. It's what you use to unblock drains with and should be available at any supermarket or general store. You can even wash clothes with a really diluted solution of it.

Also known as lye (which it was called in the movie; same stuff). Weak drain openers use this because it reacts with grease in cloged drains and actually forms soap (also done in Fight Club with rich womens fat asses). I've never seen it sold straight up, though I'd image crystalin Drano is mostly lye. Stronger drain openers are acidic though (lye is a base).

I've heard ove cleaner works, but never heard about the caustic soda. Then again, caustic soda is used to remove paint and rust, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Both things are found on the same isle in the supermarket.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:16:25 AM »
Since drano is allways in a liquid form. It is mostly concockted of bleach- yeah bleach- so before you poor a 5.00 liter down the drain. Try a .99 cent bottle of bleach.

Offline Ks Flat 43

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:45:43 AM »
Ive used oven cleaner several times to remove anodizing.Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesnt.I guess its got something to do with the quality of the anodizing but im not sure.

LOU4130

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:54:50 AM »
ive used oven cleaner also to do this and it usually worked very well, when i had a silver bizhouse stem on my G7, it was originally black, and i stripped it with easy-off. you just need to polish it a bit afterwards and it looks good.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 10:10:28 AM »
thanks Lou yeah Easy Off was what i heard works the best. I got an orange Suelo that needs some love. Thanks for the pick. What did you do the finishing polish with? Looks ILL! Super shine on that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 10:12:11 AM by donefortheday »

timk4130

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »
not to bring up a old topic, but i would like to do this with my driver on my nanki!!!!!

any word on polish to use, what works well, and what doesn't?

would hate to go buy 3  diffrent poishes, only to find out the 3rd one is the charm!

thanks again!

take care!

tim

timk4130

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »

u need a wheel to get that high swirl-less shine like that. hand polish wont do it unless u have days to waste

i know!

i have a high-speed cordless drill with  lots of attachments........
i know that i wouldn't get ride of  the swirl mark, i was just curious as to what works best!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »
Since drano is ALLWAYS in a liquid form...

Offline mid_night gypsy

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »

u need a wheel to get that high swirl-less shine like that. hand polish wont do it unless u have days to waste

i know!

i have a high-speed cordless drill with  lots of attachments........
i know that i wouldn't get ride of  the swirl mark, i was just curious as to what works best!

Hey tim,
 There in l-ville, go to a pilot truck stop and pick up a bottle of Rebel's magic polish, it's the bomb for polishing, and he makes it himself. Also the polish that I use is called purple, get it if you can, it's better than rebel's.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 03:04:40 AM »
Tim - Mothers mag and aluminum polish will work awesome.