Author Topic: My freecoaster is slipping. Do I need a new shell?  (Read 8448 times)

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
My freecoaster is slipping. Do I need a new shell?
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
Hey everyone.

So when I rideout or just simply pedal with some pressure my freecoaster slips. I know it's engaging and disengaging properly so I figure out it mus be the shell or something.

Today I took apart the freecoaster and didn't see any particular damage or serious wear in it. The clutch is just fine and bearings move freely.

Freecoaster itself is a taska u-free. Can anyone tell me what can be causing it? Do you think I might need a new sheel?

Any advice would be highly appreciated
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
Re: My freecoaster is slipping. Do I need a new shell?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 05:40:16 PM »
More than 60 views and no replies, really?? So I guess no one has got this problem.  ::)

Offline charlier

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:03:05 PM »
If I understand correctly, its the clutch that keeps things from slipping when you pedal. If the clutch looks fine, I assume they mesh with the shell? If that is the case, I tend to agree with you. Is there any wear on the shell that would lead you to believe its bad?

Note: I personally run a nankai, and its been solid, just like the last one I had years ago, so I don't have any first hand experience with what you are running.

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »
Thanks for replying. Yeah that's right, I think the clutch is just fine so that's why I guess the problem is in the Shell. But the thing is it doesn't really seems like it's worn.

So my question is if anyone has any clue on what can cause a freecoaster to slip or which are the most common cases.

Thanks.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:04:11 AM »
I have a Taska U-Free.  Normally the shell is not the problem.  The taska u-free has a very simple design.  Is the  sprocket/screw part call the driver should have a little grease on the screw part.  It helps it to disengage.

Also there are the slack adjust screws.  Make sure they are there and not missing. 

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:20:39 AM »
Ive had no experience with this hub. The khe ive got i remeber was very slippy when i first rode it. It seemed to need time to wear itself in somehow.
I also pulled it to pieces to check it out and greased it really well. And havnt had a problem since for 3 years now.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
I never run a Taska so I'm not super familiar with the internals, but back in the day the old Suntour hubs used to have engagement problems constantly.  Is resistance slipping as you start pedalling (i.e. a bigger gap) or WHILE you are in the middle of pedaling, after you are moving forward? 

On the old Suntours, the dead space to engage the pedals would gradually get further and further, I've seen some guys have to pedal 1/2 a turn just to get the hub to engage.  The problem was usually either the clutch, the spring, or the unbrake washer getting crushed from repeated torquing.  The clutch spring would literally dig a groove into the unbrake washer as the hub would move into engaged position (as you pedal forward), so the over time it took more and more distance to engage the hub and pedal forward.   

Offline zach

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 02:05:34 AM »
having the same issue on my  nankai hub. its on my street bike and the gap seams to change all the time. Some times it feels normal then others it feels like twice as much gap.

Offline Bryansyodaddy

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Idk if you're still looking for an answer but.
it's most likely your clutch.  I have a clutch that looks like it's still ribbed but it's done.
The way the clutch and hub shell work is that the clutch digs into the hub's shell by going in further.
My shell is falling apart and it's working fine.
Try a new clutch if you can.
Suddenly, another wild chess game appeared.

♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »
@ zach:
sounds like your nankai spring is worn;
taska users:
check the axle, if a groove has been into the axle by the ball tensioned screw, will have clutch slip issues too.

Offline Bryansyodaddy

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
Things that can cause slipping... ehhhhhh
I've had this problem so many times..it sucks... a lot!
Could almost be anything really.
The clutch may look good however it could be done if it doesn't have a lot of knurl on it?
The ball springs maybe could have built a groove in the inside of the clutch causing slip.
Inner driver bearing popped has given me slip.  One time the support (thing around) the ball spring was shaved. You could see the ball spring was almost cut who knows how. That can cause it.
Look around closely at every tiny detail. I'm sure you'll find out why.
Freecoasters are somewhat complicated and delicate but after some poking around you become a lil pro  B)
Suddenly, another wild chess game appeared.

♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

Offline Budz is still broken

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
Im assuming that hub shell is alloy with a steel insert that meshes with the clutch to engage the drive.
You may not be able to tell by hand, but could it be possible that steel insert ring is slipping/rotating in the shell when the clutch engages it? Ive heard of people having this very issue with the Profile Nankai shells...that steel insert would rotate in the shell. Just a thought.
If not that, Id be learning towards a worn clutch also.
*just realizing this is an older thread...hope you got it sorted out by now.
RIDE ON!