Author Topic: Are Contest Live Streams Evil?  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Are Contest Live Streams Evil?
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »

Recently many contests are providing a live stream on the internet for free. Some popular examples are the COB, FISE, KOG or the upcoming Voodoo Jam. While the production quality keeps rising we are wondering if that is actually a good thing or totally evil?

In other words: would you stay home instead of going to a contest just because you can as well watch the pro runs live online?

Let us know what you think by posting a reply in our forum, on our Facebook or Twitter page.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Re: Are Contest Live Streams Evil?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
good news for those who are unable to attend but still wish to watch i guess.
and it gives the worldwide rider base access to the event

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
Why is providing more access to those who want to watch, but are unable to travel, evil?
"You can ride brakeless with brakes." -- Scott O

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Why is providing more access to those who want to watch, but are unable to travel, evil?

Exactly. Of course anyone who rides would rather be there for the jam and the contest, but not everyone has the ca$h, time and freedom to take off for a few days to travel around the country to ride a bike.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
There's a lot more to a contest than just the actual contest.  Being there is exciting, I wouldn't think making the stream available would make people intentionally stay home. 

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
I think the live stream does more good than harm for sure. There are plenty of people around the world that simply can't make it, and will be thrilled to be able to see it. It's great exposure for an incredible event. The one drawback I see, and this is just me talking from my own perspective, is that there is a chance that edits from the contest "may" have less impact due to the fact that people will have already seen so much by the time the videos are published. That's a very minor point and I think that overall this is a fantastic thing both for the event and for flatland. I'd be very curious to see the stats on how many people actually tune in; that's something I've often wondered about from other live-streamed events. Looking forward to it!

p.s. Does anyone know if there will be commentary? That could be rad.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »
The edits still have the impact. As theres allways thin you want to see again.
I enjoyed watching the kog practice.
Got to see what each guy was working on. The result of the contest was a shock but i was glad i watched it as i could see through practice who was on it that day.

Im about $2000 bucks away from any event so stream is all i have.
At one point i think i saw 180 watch kog.
And i think cob was up near 300. Anyone remember.

I also watched fise. Got to witness the whole dub debarcle.

Offline SandBarBmx

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »
I think it's a good thing for flatland to get the exposure, and for the people who aren't able to make it to the contest. It won't take away from the contest itself, it might hype people up to go to it the next year. There's nothing like the vibes at a contest, always a good time. And for edits, it won't take away from that because the live streaming will probably only be a few camera angles to as an edit you get the close up shots and slow-mo stuff. Overall it's a good thing.

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
What sort of stupid question is this?
Is GF really considering the use of information combined with technology a force of evil, when it cant be harnessed or manipulated for their own agenda ?

Geez that is one dangerous power trip.
What sort of fascist censorship ideology could even dream up such BS?

I suppose it does answer why we saw the London thread censored.
Given the far right agenda of this site.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:38:54 PM by byke »

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
no way are live streams evil,  i know the feeling of being there/vibe etc cant always come across in an edit but for the not having the cash or alot of the time the health(spine problems) these live streams get me so stoked , and thanks to the guys running these events and guys taking time to film etc makes me feel im part of it and keeps me motivated, so keep filming and  streaming guys the more the better imo.

Offline Gary quitter

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
Whats up with the absolute opposites?am i on a religious fundie site? Nothing is this black and white.

Offline Vic Román

• Cliffhanger
  • RaD!
    • Gorilla Photo Media
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 05:34:30 AM »
No.Not evil.I have no money to travel to a contest ,so it works for me.

"This ain't segregation this is freestyle folks". - Ruben Castillo