Author Topic: Original Bike Tricks from Tim Knoll  (Read 28033 times)

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Re: Original Bike Tricks from Tim Knoll
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
Shame the same people keep poping up in this forum talking things down. Seems these handful of people are getting to regular and they claim in other post the forums gone downhill. The rest of us can cleanly see whos bringing it down. If you guys arent happy with how things are find another place. Keep you sh*t talk on facepoop.

Just think theres people out there who are actually doing things.
You just here " talking " about doing things.

As for the video i have things to say but some idiot will just qoute it and pick it apart and wiki some sh*t and try to look smart with some dictionary definitions.

Regardless of flat or not. Its still diferent. Gimicks win fans.

Original is what all freestylers are about aint it. Yet we bag anyone doing something original.
One kid watchs this on youtube and its not long till his related video section is full of flatland videos.

Mabye theres just to many matthias clones. Who lack the open mind

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
Gary quitter you really are messed up.

Offline Therapy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Blind is in denial. Gary quitter is OWNING . Blind thinking popularity = skills / talent.
By that logic - Is Justin Beiber the greatest because everyone loves him?

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 12:53:16 PM »
Look, nowhere on the video is it labeled or classified as "flatland" so I don't think that is the issue here. What I see is some guy doing what people might like to call "freestyle" and I think this classification is fitting. Tim Knoll has nearly 2 million views at this point and I have no problem with this either, but what I do have a problem with is that if he deserves that many views and that much recognition, then there are several other riders out there (of ALL disciplines) that deserve much more recognition than this but they don't. So let's be honest people; he's getting the views because Joe Public thinks the riding is great, but I don't really think this is the case for most riders.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
This is EXACTLY why this stupid sport is going nowhere, and exactly why the rest of BMX is so much more successful than us.

We can't refuse to do things that people would like to see, then turn around and complain that no one wants to see what we are doing.     

One guy finally does something that the public likes to see, is wildly popular, and very first thing the purists do is say that it's not cool enough to be considered good.  Someone does something creative and different, and the first thing they do is say that it's not creative enough in the right way.   I've been in this sport for 25 years, and I've never seen as much mainstream appeal as this guy is able to generate.  That's worth paying attention to. 

How many views did your edit of front wheel spinning tricks get?

Define a "circus" trick vs. a "real" trick anyway.  A blender seems pretty circusy to me.           

Some of the stuff Tim was doing in the edit was a little tongue in cheek goofy, but there was definitely some creative stuff going on there for sure.  The darkside stuff was cool looking, quite creative, didn't involve any props, and had some difficulty there, and is a total departure from what most flatland looks like these days.  I would guess that less than 1% of you on this site could do most of those links.  How many of you under 30 can even do a barride?   

But here's a question, kids: 

Do you want flatland to be something that someone can make a living doing? 

Or do you want it to be a weird, super technical oddity that can't support a pro class, only performed and appreciated by a bunch of obsessed weirdos?             

Here's the deal kids:  Mainstream BMX wants mostly nothing to do with us.  Pro ramp riders live in posh custom houses and drive multiple imported sports cars, date hot Hollywood stars, make hundreds of thousands of dollars, and get flown to exotic destinations in luxury, to compete in world televised contests less than 5-10x a year for hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money. 

On the other hand, 99% of OUR most successful pro riders make probably a tenth of that, and only do so by doing hundreds of school safety/drug awareness shows, circling the country in sh*tty panel vans with 300K miles on them dozens of times a year for 50 weeks a year.   

Some pro level flatlanders have their spouses be the main income earner.  Some work other jobs.  Some live in squalor with a bunch of other riders in a house.  Some move to the Emerald Triangle and start a grow op.  Some, sadly, still live with their parents well into adulthood, shirking responsibilities and life in favor of whiplashes in empty parking lots as 40 year old man children.  But out of every one I've ever met in this sport, there's only been TWO guys who made a decent adult life doing flatland tricks, and they do it by endlessly touring either elementary school safety shows to do blenders in carpeted gymnasiums, or college tours to do hitchhikers in front of confused frat boys.       

Flatland as a profession has been on life support since Hoffman pulled the plug on the X Games 10 years ago.  Sure, someone might win $500 at this contest or that contest, usually not even enough money to pay for travel expenses to even BE there, and anyone not living with their mom would know that.  Flatland as profession, at least in the United States, is DEAD unless you're talking about a carnival attraction or a school safety show feature.

And we have no one to blame but ourselves.  People are so focused on doing something difficult that they're totally contemptuous of something that LOOKS GOOD and is FUN TO WATCH.  IF we want flatland to be something that someone can do as a profession and make a decent living doing, we're going to HAVE to start showing people things THAT THEY WANT TO SEE.  That doesn't mean doing something that's intentionally goofy or stupid, but it does mean that people don't really appreciate flatland in it's current form.  People don't care, and they don't really want to see it.

We're like comedians who blame their audience for not laughing at their jokes.   

It would be nice to see flatland become a real professional sport again, but in fifteen years flatland will be in the same place it's always been, a bunch of pissy, angry, antisocial weirdos mad at the world because no one can understand how much harder the full barflip kickflip is than the half barflip kickflip, wondering why their new barflip combo won't earn them the $200 they owe for rent, when Jaime Bestwick just bought another house with the winnings from another Dew Tour stop.       
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:55:16 PM by D »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
Freddie, I don't see how anything we're doing currently doesn't already make us look like circus freaks.

Spinning in circles on a tiny child's bicycle on one wheel? 
Jumping around the the same tiny bike in incredibly technical links? 
Balancing in weird an unusual positions? 
Spending thousands of hours learning links that 99% of people don't even understand? 

It only doesn't seem circusy to us because we see those things all the time.  To the rest of the world, it's an incredibly weird activity that can only be appreciated for a few minutes before everything looks the same.  Truth be told, many people think that spending thousands of hours at the cost of every other aspect of one's life in order to master an activity that gets little to no rewards is more in line with severe mental illness.  Unfortunately some of our best riders most absolutely show symptoms of severe bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorder. 

Anyway, I don't see how what Tim is doing is making a mockery of flatland just for doing something that people find entertaining.  Just because it doesn't fit your definition of what riding should be doesn't mean it isn't any good.   

How is he debasing the community?  You make it sound like he stole something from you. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:14:48 PM by D »

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
considering all the people that are coming at me are quoting things I said 3 years ago on here im guessing your someone I got into a argument with 3 years ago but your using a new name? Am I right? Is that why you have each have under a 100 post and backing each other up? thought so. if you are who im pretty sure you are yes you are a straight up hater who would pick a argument with me over anything. If I said 2+2 is 4 you would disagree just for the sake of trolling me. To busy for your childish sh*t. End of the day Tim is a beast and sh*tting on anything you will ever put out. period. Have a good day trolling.

Offline Therapy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
I thoroughly agree with Gary.

Tim is making flatland look like a massive gimmick.  a one trick pony.

As soon as the novelty wears off to the masses, we'll be left back where we were, with nothing.

same as Matt Wilhelm and his Murica's got talent sh*t, having to wear a suit, making us look slightly cool to the dumb masses, but in reality when regular plebs try it for an hour, and realise how hard it is, they go back to their razor scooters and wood pushing.

I'm sorry but there's too much pussy footing and ego padding going on in this community, and as a veteran it makes me f*cking sick to my stomach.

1. Tim. you can ride, but ultimately you're making us look like a bunch of circus freaks.
2. there's nothing original or merit worthy in the video. all of the flip tricks can be done by anyone who can do a frontflip, which let's face it aren't hard. and the non flip tricks are circa 1980's plywood hoods material, and quite frankly are now borderline gay tricks.

We've got to stop making a f*cking mockery of our sport for the sake of consumerism. we're not f*cking prostitutes, we're supposted to be sportsmen, apparently.

you don't see f*cking Tiger woods doing trick shots on the putting green wearing disco pants doing throwbacks to f*cking Happy Gilmore do you? no.

stop f*cking debasing the community to the lowest denominator to f*cking serve your own means.

+1
Blind and D are a bunch of sell out bitches .

Offline Therapy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
Freddie, I don't see how anything we're doing currently doesn't already make us look like circus freaks.

Spinning in circles on a tiny child's bicycle on one wheel? 
Jumping around the the same tiny bike in incredibly technical links? 
Balancing in weird an unusual positions? 
Spending thousands of hours learning links that 99% of people don't even understand? 

It only doesn't seem circusy to us because we see those things all the time.  To the rest of the world, it's an incredibly weird activity that can only be appreciated for a few minutes before everything looks the same.  Truth be told, many people think that spending thousands of hours at the cost of every other aspect of one's life in order to master an activity that gets little to no rewards is more in line with severe mental illness.  Unfortunately some of our best riders most absolutely show symptoms of severe bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorder. 

Anyway, I don't see how what Tim is doing is making a mockery of flatland just for doing something that people find entertaining.  Just because it doesn't fit your definition of what riding should be doesn't mean it isn't any good.   

How is he debasing the community?  You make it sound like he stole something from you. 

I have no problems recommending fork glides and mccircles to beginners.
As for,  doing stupid sh*t off lamp posts or almost decapitating themselves under a truck? You want kids to be inspired by this gimmicky bullsh*t? rolling on cars and throwing your bike and doing flips on a basket ball rim.
Is that what we want people to be inspired by?[/quote]

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
Yo Blind, you any good at graffiti yet? or still painting your walls in your house because you suck?

lets see ive done walls for Coca Cola, Dillards, Vitamin Water, Star 104, Countless local business, City of Atlanta, yeah id say Im doing ok..... hows that whole dub step career working out for you .....?

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »
3 years later you guys still trolling me and dick riding each other wow. All kidding aside yall some sad human beings for real. (goes back to real world)

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
yawn. goes back to work

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
work? looking like you?...jobless bum
A.you know sh*t of how I look and if you do thats really sad and strange.
B. I work 7 days a f*cking week. mon- fri for a design office, on the weekends for RMS Titanic and paint about every night.  Dont tell me sh*t about not working.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
ok u wasted 5 min of my time u win goodbye

Offline Therapy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »

Circus acts are much more presentation based and rarely delve into the technical aspects so youre not entirely accurate.f*ck the rest of the world thats exactly the point we shouldn't be doing this to get claps from crowds who dont give a sh*t in the first place but just want 10 minutes entertainment how dare anybody be prepared to piss on the integrity of flatland to be nothing more than a crowd pleaser (like a clown) Its all in the presentation and riders control that and frankly its riders choosing to sell themselves short.People dont understand much tbh shall we all stop bothering to progress and stick to simple tricks for the thick f*cks?

Conquest and intellectual pursuits must seem alien to you in this finite extremly short life if you cant grasp the logic in the prioritised urgency and dedication top guys put in to chasing fulfilment and answer the question of potential of which you only have one f*cking chance to discover btw then its you who has the problem.By whose standard are you making judgements anyway? society will have you believe anyone who is not "balanced" ie obedient worker , relationship,hobby 2 nights a week aiming for the same western ideological goals is mentally ill its frankly a f*cking joke.How dare you question the purity that is a pioneering riders conquest not polluted by the abstract pursuit of petit wealth gain.

Wow. This deserves a standing ovation! APPLAUSE!
ENCORE!
Very wise words.