Author Topic: Built up a bike today...  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Kouto

Built up a bike today...
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »
I've been out of riding for almost three years now because of knee issues and not having time. So, today, I took parts from two complete but unsatisfactory bikes that weren't in riding condition, and stuck them onto a frame that I think will serve me better than the one I was trying to ride last. I have a working bike again, and it's really cool.

I have to learn how to ride all over again, though. I'll be forty this year, and have to learn to ride all over again. Ugh.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Built up a bike today...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:36 AM »
Welcome back.  Best of luck to you!
So what bike did you build up?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:14:19 PM by rawchild »
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline Kouto

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:52:08 AM »
I built up a WTP Sinus; I needed to go a little bigger and stronger than the Ares AY I was using last time, as I'm going to try and hit up some parks a little as well as flat. I also switched from the Sick Child bars I was using to a set of old Haro street bars, because I decided I want some sweep, and I went back to an old Odyssey stem instead of an ultra-short Magicfruits one. I like how the ride feels right now, but I'll have to try and talk my wife into letting me get a new frame with a shallower head tube angle sometime. As is, I still need to get a Donjoy knee brace before I can feel fully comfortable, but I can get back some of my essential in the meantime.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:11:54 AM »
Welcome back Bro, I just got my Dr's ok to ride after a year or so.. hopped up to a 24".. so Im in the same boat essentially

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:44:10 AM »
I too had to take a break due to my knees killing me in 2010. Switched to cyclocross and mountain biking and lost about 40lbs for racing. No more pain after the weight loss and I can ride my BMX without a problem. Built up a do-it-all Haro Zebra 21" and I just love it. I also have a Stolen Saint 24", but I find myself riding my 20" WAY more. I can't do a cramped up, twitchy flatland frame with a short TT for the type of riding I do. Personally, a would be more content with the WTP over the Ares, but that's me. FWIW, I turned 38 a week ago and I find riding flat on the street frame is just fine.

Welcome back! My comeback bike was a 2000 GT Pro Performer, but now with a 21" frame, I'm a much happier camper. Post pics of your ride!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:47:57 AM by Dion »

Offline Kouto

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »
Non-Facebook update:

I can't ride a flat bike anymore. It just feels incredibly cramped and uncomfortable. I can't really afford to get a new street frame at the moment, so I don't know what I'm going to try to do; I'll ride the little bastard as much as I can, but there's only so much I can hope for until I either get a bigger bike, or start taking up less space. I don't like being a fatass.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »
Non-Facebook update:

I can't ride a flat bike anymore. It just feels incredibly cramped and uncomfortable. I can't really afford to get a new street frame at the moment, so I don't know what I'm going to try to do; I'll ride the little bastard as much as I can, but there's only so much I can hope for until I either get a bigger bike, or start taking up less space. I don't like being a fatass.

Have u tried pushing your bars forward a few degrees? Might help!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)