Author Topic: FREECOSTER??  (Read 5433 times)

Offline geoflatland

• Funky Chicken
FREECOSTER??
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »

Hello guys!
What is the best freecoster now for market?
My bike i have the Runkai.
KHE Greyhound flat is good?

Thanks!

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
Re: FREECOSTER??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
Greyhound Flat is not good. The center axle is aluminum and not a good grade of aluminum, so they steel bolts often strip it out i hear.

Offline Midou Ban

• Hitchhiker
  • True style never shouts -> FLATLAND
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
ezra freecoaster?? but if you dont like any noises.. then i think its not for you
"Great power comes with a great electric bill"

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »
If I was buying one today I'd try that Ezra.  I don't think it makes any noise unless you set it up as a freewheel.

I've been a Nankai fanatic for a while though.  I'm not really happy with any of the KHE based ones.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
There seem to be pros and cons for different types... I have tried a different 14 mm hubs with the KHE internals (Federal V2 and Reverse ACB) and had no problems at all. They both work perfect for me.
If you do not trust the aluminium axle of the Greyhound flat, you could try the Greyhound street or Greyhound adjustable. In both cases you would need 14 mm dropout slots.
As far as I know (without having tried one) the Nankais are good as long as you know how to adjust and maintain them. They seem to need more work on them. The KHE-type hubs mentioned above are very easy to handle. I haven't even regreased them frequently...
The Ezra sounds interesting to me, but I can not say something about it because I haven't tried it.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
i have tried.
nankais,taskas,dragonflys,standards,stolen easy street,khe with aluminium axle 10 mm,khe with 14 mm axle and now i still have the geisha sell,i updated with the new axle the greyhound uses that is 14 mm hollow and has the new bearings and it is the best of all those.
no bearing breaking anymore.
the aluminium axle on the khe was a problem though as sometimes i couldnt get the driver out if i wanted...so i would stay away from the 10 mm version but khe might have update this issue?

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »

Take a look at the St. Martin FC hub. It's a great alternative to the KHE type FC hubs like the Reverse and Federal mentioned above. The St. Martin shares the same internals but with a 1-piece 3/8 axle opposed to the 14mm axle the other hubs use. It also has the driver-side ACB bearing. I've had a few Geisha FC hubs with the 3-piece axle system and the St. Martin has held up better for me. I haven't opened mine since I got it and it's still spins super smooth without any side to side play or ghost pedaling. I fussed with all these issues with the 3-piece axle hubs.

Offline Charleswatson

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
I agree that though it makes some noise but its not that much irritating.

Offline mpower

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »
Ezra.

Offline geoflatland

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
The ares freecoster  is very good,and full strong..
I have 4 years on my bike,i believe that it is too strong for me.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »
If I was buying one today I'd try that Ezra.  I don't think it makes any noise unless you set it up as a freewheel.

THis is completely wrong....it makes noise in freecoaster mode too.

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
Taska U-free. 1.5 years and still going strong. holding up with street sh*t to. Fullcabs, backwards manuals, some ramp riding, niceee hub!

Offline geoflatland

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:34 PM »
Yes the U-Free is perfect hub ! 119,00$ only..

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »
I love my bamboo. Very durable. Just new looseball driver bearings is the only repair in 1 year of ownership ($5 part).
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline br00takville

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
I have a LHD federal V2 and it is great. Before I had the nankai 3/8" with the profile shell. It was good but the maintenance on the nankai was a pain. The federal is smooth and super strong.  I also ride street and the federal holds up well. Maintenance is too simple. I got mine off eBay new for $89.