Author Topic: Tips on Multiple Firehydrants, Fire Whips, 1 Scuff Pinky Squeaks?  (Read 27868 times)

Offline JamieRomoser

• Forkglider
So far the most I’ve done is 5 and a half this trick also feels super inconsistent I’m always either putting my weight to much on 1 side, I scuff to much or to little or the back end of my bike drags on the floor and stops the whips

I overheard someone talking about some riders for this trick use a (Double pump feather) technique but I can’t find much information on it?

Does tire pressure or tire size make a difference?

Does fork or stem offset effect this trick seems a lot of riders I notice run little stems when doing lots of this trick?

Is it better to have super twitchy brake adjustments where you barely have to press the lever?

Also noticed some people scuff with the toe of there foot and some scuff using the side of there foot

Ive also observed if you do to much of a weighted scuff the frame whips around faster and I think I’ve seen some people slow the whip with their foot when the frames under them?

Also observed some people kinda (save) this trick by doing a sharp turn with there bars to re adjust there body position

When I first wanted to learn this trick I kinda thought it wasn’t gonna be as hard as it is because I’ve seen people do 30+ of them only to be like 2 years into trying to learn and have only gotten to 5 and a half as my record?

Also is there a reason why on normal Pinky squeaks they do 2 foot placements instead of just 1 scuff? I like the 1 scuff ones because it looks like the whips are faster
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:54:37 PM by JamieRomoser »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Tips on Multiple Firehydrants, Fire Whips, 1 Scuff Pinky Squeaks?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 01:20:30 AM »
Interesting topic!
I would say if you have done five you know the key technique. So be patient and practise more and more...
I don't think that I have done more than 20 but I do them for some years. I would not say that the tire pressue is a key factor. The most important aspect about the brake is that it is constant. You need to know your brake. I ride on a dusty spot so I need to clean the brake pads and rim every 30 min roughly to have the multiple firehydrants as I want them.
One thing I learned for myself is that you can somehow adjust the side where you lean to with the lenght of your scuff. This helped me. I have the left foot on the peg and the frame swings clockwise (topview). If I scuff/roll longer, I tend to the left and vice versa.
Can you do three consistently?

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 11:15:12 PM »

Also is there a reason why on normal Pinky squeaks they do 2 foot placements instead of just 1 scuff? I like the 1 scuff ones because it looks like the whips are faster

Just nerding out here that i believe the difference in the 1 or 2 scuff technique is largely dependent on which way the frame is swinging around relative to your foot positioning.

Say if youre doing Pinky's and the frame swings counter clockwise and you scuff with right foot, generally there will be 2 scuffs, one just as you step over the frame. But if you do a hydrant whip the frame is swinging clockwise so you step over the frame w the scuff foot first and there isn't much need (or time or footing) for a 2nd scuff.

I guess you could do Pinkys with just one scuff/squeak... hmm.

Anyway I was never able to get the proper sequence of movements together to do multiples, so i'm probably talking out my rear end.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:17:51 PM by ortho »

Offline Charliereer

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 02:45:11 PM »
I have done these for a while, but I doubt I have done more than twenty. In my opinion, the tire pressure is not crucial. The fact that the brake is continuous is its most crucial feature. Have a good grasp on your brake. Because I ride in a dusty area, I have to clean the rim and brake pads about once every half an hour to keep the many firehydrants looking the way I want them to.