Author Topic: more info on Leeson Bikes circa 2004  (Read 5384 times)

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
more info on Leeson Bikes circa 2004
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:38 AM »
just came across an article in the Nov. 2004, issue 77 of Ride BMX, UK edition.

it features a bike called "new street model" with 360Dropouts, built by frame builder Clive Leeson. Also mentioned was the "old street model" ridden by Eddie Tongue with regular slotted dropouts.

was wondering if the frame went beyond the prototype stage, if the company is still around.
any additional information would be cool.

thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:06:35 AM by K.Wong »

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
Re: more info on Leeson Bikes circa 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:19:48 AM »
64 views and no one has any additional info?
any british riders /euro riders can help?

Phatman

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
I really wanted one BITD. I emailed them a couple of times & i was told they didnt have enough money to produce them, they where one off for customers that wanted to pay the price tag. I was told £450 for the one with the fancy drop outs & all the space age bits on it. That was quite a few years ago when even American frames where only just touching £300. Good luck finding one, your only chance is gunna be someone who paid the price tag to have one made. I dont think Leeson even exists anymore im afraid.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:11:48 AM »
ouch, that's painful to hear...
so at the end of the day, Leeson bikes are custom bike builders that built-to-order; and the "new street model" is just a showcase bike for their concept and skills.

thanks for the info topsey.

Offline bmx116

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
http://www.leesonbikes.co.uk/bmx.html  the pics of that frame on here are wild looking. the dropouts are tiny

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
cool! didn't know they had a site up.
but the website was last updated in 2006...

thanks to bmx116.

a lot of their tech. has been copied by major bike manufactures since then; it's really sad to be honest.

Phatman

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
They where best known for making MTBs they had the little article in Ride UK & i really wanted one. When i contacted them, they didnt know if the frames would go into production, especially the 360 drop out version. As i mentioned they offered to do a one off for me, but it wasnt cheap. Good luck in finding one, im sure someone has one out there some where!

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
I could ask Mark Noble if he knows anyone one or has any pics. He owned Rideuk back then
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »
thanks for offering to help Bri-jon, but that won't be neccessary.
seen the owner's bike pictures on leeson's page, more than a few were mtb trials bikes.
i feel this might be some sort of quixote quest should i continue...

thanks anyways

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »
My friend Matt has a leeson frame the one with the normal dropouts,i had completely forgotten they even exsisted,im not too sure if he would part with it though.

Offline The End

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
Wow, flatland was the last scene I thought there'd be interest in Leesons! I have a Leeson 24" street trials frame sitting a few metres away from me, I can vouch that it's radically different to virtually all other frames out there be it other trials, BMX, and MTB designs. Very distinct and unique indeed.

Leeson is still operating but very quietly these days compared to 2003-2006ish. Very high quality frames, all fillet-brazed Reynolds 725 tubes incl. the clever 360 dropout concept. Makes for healthily light, stiff, clean looking frames. The brand is run very quietly by Clive from his home as far as I know. So each frame made is a one-off bespoke for each rider who can spec their own geometries and other little features to tailor it to their needs. It's first and foremost a trials brand geared towards streetier/BMX influenced trials riders, hence why 99% of Leesons are either 26" or 24" trials bikes with a streety twist. A minute handful of BMX frames have been made in the past, but I have yet to see any in person or online aside from the 2 on the site.

The only way to get a Leeson is by phone and having a chat. But bear in mind that right now frame-building for him isn't as much a priority as it was before several years ago, nowadays it's mostly doing repairs on previous frames. However, unless you live in the UK, it's very difficult to get one made- (at least in 2005, there were lots of American riders that expressed interest in them, but Leeson was reluctant to ship outside of the UK- thus why all the Leesons you see online are UK-owned). Also.. turn-around time can be extremely long even for repairs as Clive does all the work on his own schedule in his free time- can take many months in some cases. I can't be sure if he's still open to making new frames this far down the line, but maybe if you asked very very nicely it might be possible. Give it a shot if you're set on it though! Phone up and see what the options/turn around time would look like if he's still open to making new frames. Would be very impressed if it all worked out  :beer:

The Ride article does sound interesting though, would you be able to upload a few scans?

Thanks!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:04:20 PM by The End »

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
thanks londonflat and the end,

have a feeling that they are really exclusive when barely anyone replied in the begining.

was repacking my room, dug out some ride uk mags that i bought bitd but didn't get to read, and came across the Leeson bikes article; thought i'd ask about it on global-flat for some feedback, never thought it would be obscure like the Hawk alloy FFL frame prototype...

there are more riders on here then you know that do other aspects of bicycling; once you get hooked on the two-wheel bug, it's kind of hard habit to ditch.
am looking to built either a 24" crusier (no thanks to juggs and few others) or a gt carbon frame racer or freestyle fixie or trying out mtb trails, can only choose one aspect as space, money and time are my constraints.

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
No problem Kelvin,had a word with my friend and he said he might let his frame go if youre interested? Hes having a think about it.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
p'med!