Author Topic: Aggro Rag Book - Know Your Roots  (Read 4217 times)

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
Aggro Rag Book - Know Your Roots
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
It's fortunate for us that The Plywood Hoods thought to document what they were doing in the eighties and nineties, not only on video for the Dorkin' series, but also in print for Aggro Rag The Freestyle Mag! 'zine. Kevin Jones and the Hoods recreated Freestyle BMX with innovative riding and underground productions that made BMX whatever you wanted it to be. With hardcore riders in control of their scenes, the corporate companies with deep pockets couldn't come close to being as real, creative or bad ass.

This book is every issue of Aggro Rag 'zine (http://23mag.com/mags/aggrorag/aggrorag.htm) beautifully put together plus a new interview with KJ. This much quality content for only $25 is a steal, especially considering the Freestylin' book that was released 2008 was selling in the $100-$500 range.

This is flatland roots, so stoked to get my hands on a copy, thanks Mike!

Pre-orders are currently being accepted at aggrorag.com

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:03:14 AM by cj »
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: Aggro Rag Book - Know Your Roots
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
Waiting on my issue in the mail!  I only had one or two issues back in the 80's, so looking forward to seeing all the issues.  I got issue 13 too. 

Chad, do you know of any BMX zines that are still being published.  I miss them.  I need leads.  And skate and punk rock zines too.  I miss this form of publishing!   
"A puppet no more!"

Offline dug

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
thanks for posting chad
thanks to Mike for compiling this flatland history

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:39:44 AM »
Waiting on my issue in the mail!  I only had one or two issues back in the 80's, so looking forward to seeing all the issues.  I got issue 13 too. 

Chad, do you know of any BMX zines that are still being published.  I miss them.  I need leads.  And skate and punk rock zines too.  I miss this form of publishing!   

Nice!

I remember seeing a few here and there, but they're pretty rare. The most recent flatland 'zine would probably be Lot Life by Jason Pitschke, I think it's been a few years though. I miss them too, but at least for now we have blogs and this rad book! Maybe Aggro Rag will continue to be produced if it gets enough interest.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:41:35 AM by cj »
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »
thanks for posting chad
thanks to Mike for compiling this flatland history

My pleasure!
&+1