Author Topic: Standard to integrated headset  (Read 12011 times)

LOU4130

Standard to integrated headset
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Have you guys seen these? I know most of us probably have integrated headsets at this point, but i thought this was a great idea that for a while i couldnt understand why it hasn't been done. Well, now it has, and i think its pretty neat. I got one for my single speed and so far, its great.

The Mechanik STI headset, or "Standard to Integrated" headset features chromoly cups that press directly into a standard headtube frame and houses sealed Campy Spec integrated bearings. The advantages to this type of headset include easily replaceable bearings, the ability to use on both standard and integrated frames (simply pop out the bearings from the cups) and the ability to use a fork with integrated bearing race on a standard headtube frame. 1-1/8" (4.1 oz)

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/301014/Mechanik_STI_Sealed_Headset.html

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
Re: Standard to integrated headset
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
 ;D This is Great!! Now i can put Integraded hs on my Fly Suelo! :beer: :beer:
One Last Ride.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
About time.  Nice find!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:56:15 AM by rawchild »
Hey Meg...check this out.

byke

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
Try and find a pair of forks that work with this.

LOU4130

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:36:43 AM »
BYKE, I dont see why you would think it would be hard to find a fork this would work with? It comes with a forkrace. you put it on a standard 1 1/8th fork, just like your standard forkrace. works perfect. Im running one right now on my single speed.

My Single speed is a 1 1/8th standard headset. I took the old headset out and put this in. Swapped the fork race and it works just like before.  It will work with any standard 1 1/8th fork. If your fork has a race for integrated built in then you dont need the race, but the headset will still work.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:41:58 AM by LOU4130 »

byke

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
Most modern day forks will come with a built in race holder.
So with the added thickness of the cup wall that needs to be inserted into the headtube, the space will be too small to accommodate most new school forks.

Obviously, if you are using older style forks (kinda rare by todays standards) and a non integrated frame (again not a common sight by todays standards in flatland or Bmx) then it should all be fine.

But for anyone who simply hopes to use the headset on an older frame with newer parts they could run into a host of different issues.

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
Onza "MONGO III" have been out for ages i used them on my 20" race bike and my 24" quadangle cruiser

I've your running gyro it won't work!!!

And they come in Red,Blue,Green,Polished and Black

Re forks i have Odyssey Directors on my 20" (built in race) and Landing Gear on my 24" (no built in race) and both work just fine :beer:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:11:05 AM by melon lover »

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:47 AM »
and how do this differ from chris king and cane creeks? other than aluminium cups versus chromoly ones?...
have to say Byke is right in regards to fork and integrated-integrated fork races.

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »
Oh yeah i forgot about Chris king my little boy has one on his 18" street/park bike and gyros do work on those  B)

But fork is still the same works with both built in and not built in bearing races he has 18"wethepeople forks (no race) and i have put on the bearing race spacer thingy but previous to his bike it was on my 20" race bike with Odyssey Directors (built in race) :beer: :beer: :beer: 

LOU4130

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
Most modern day forks will come with a built in race holder.
So with the added thickness of the cup wall that needs to be inserted into the headtube, the space will be too small to accommodate most new school forks.

Obviously, if you are using older style forks (kinda rare by todays standards) and a non integrated frame (again not a common sight by todays standards in flatland or Bmx) then it should all be fine.

But for anyone who simply hopes to use the headset on an older frame with newer parts they could run into a host of different issues.

I dont think the point of this was to run modern parts on an older frame. Although i m pretty sure you can. Its a campy spec bearing. you can run a fork with a built in race on it by not using the race that comes with the headset. It even specifys that in the description."the ability to use a fork with integrated bearing race on a standard headtube frame."

I think it is similar to the Chris King but less than half the price and without the huge lower bearing. Gyros will work with this, the diameter is exactly the same as a standard intergated headset. I know because i was messing with putting on an integrated  topcap that was a lower profile, but then decided against it as i wanted the height on my single speed.

I mean hey i didnt post this to say this would work with EVERYTHING! Anything like this will have some sort of conflict with something. I just thought it was neat and can open up some options inexpensively. Basically running sealed bearings on the newest pre-integrated frame fork sets without spending over $100 on a headset. thats all i was sayin. :)

When i had my Quamen Delta2 i wanted sealed bearings and the chris king headset was just too much $$ for a headset. This would have worked out perfect. Instead i had a lardset which worked but i wasnt a fan of the outside the headtube cup.

But i took apart my single speed just to see if i could get the race on some other bmx forks i have and it fit on all of them. (well the 2 i have lol) including the last ody flat fork before the flatware.The inner diameter of the race is the same as a standard race.

I dont see how it would not work with a newer fork with an integrated race. They are standard campy spec sealed bearings, you just dont use the race that comes with the headset. its exactly like integrated except the cups are pressed in rather than built into the frame. It is in essence an integrated headset. it just has cups that fit a standard frame. If i throw the cups away i can use this headset on any modern frame. It is then a standard integrated headset. I'm not seeing the conflict here honestly.

..and saying "try finding a fork that will work with this" ..really?  The point is, if you have an older frame and fork and want a sealed bearing headset, you can do it with this..THAT is the point. Obviously if your running new school stuff this is irrelivant, which is why i started my post as i did by saying most of us have integrated frames at this point.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:54:01 PM by LOU4130 »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
I bought one of these with the thought to put on my 2002 WTP Pony, but I don't have forks for it yet so I haven't installed it.  I wanted to go with Ody flat forks but so far I haven't been able to locate a set.  So any fork with a built-in race will NOT work with this, because the built in race has a larger diameter than the cup?  Is there a mod that can be done to make it work? 

LOU4130

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
Im 95% sure it will work with a fork with a built in race. Its a standard size integrated campy spec bearing. you just dont use the race that comes with the headset. The botom cup is no bigger than the bottom of an integrated headtube. The thickness of the part that goes into the frame is irrelivant because only the 1 1/8th part of the fork goes through there and fits in with plenty of space.  I had a flatware fork with a built in race and it looked just like a fork with a seperate race on it, just all one piece. Why would a built in race be bigger than a non built in one?

D, If you try it out with a fork with a built in bearing race, please post the outcome. From what i could see holding the headset in my hand, it will work fine, but hey we all can go back and fourth all day, but wont know for sure till someone tries. :)

Also...

Re forks i have Odyssey Directors on my 20" (built in race) and Landing Gear on my 24" (no built in race) and both work just fine :beer:

if this one works, why wouldnt the one i posted?

I wish i had a fork with a built in race to try this, cuz i really think it will work. Melon Lover posted that he has done this with a similar product of another brand...(which i actually remember seeing and just forgot about) and it worked fine. Dont see this one being any different
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:50:06 PM by LOU4130 »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
I'll let you know as soon as I can find a pair of forks.