Author Topic: Lansing MI  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Wayydankr

Lansing MI
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:09:36 AM »
Anyone around the local area? Got a sweet tennis court right up the street from my house.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:56:22 PM by khe killah™ »

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
Re: Lansing MI
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
Looks like it's been a while since this was posted, but yeah.  I'm in Lansing and I have a couple friends in nearby outlying cities who also ride flat.  Let me know!

Offline Wayydankr

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Yeah, I wanted to start riding again and was looking for people around the area. With no replies in sight I pretty much bailed on the entire idea.

I'm still up for it though. I was hoping to meet up with anyone who rides locally, maybe over a beer and talk parts, geometry and sizes. I'm 5'10, would a 19" frame be too small? I'm not sure about sizing for height/length and reach ratios.. Maybe it's not as big a deal as I think but for the money, it needs to be right! I want to build an Intrakat in primer clear built on primo American parts that has that hard, unfinished/industrial look. U.S made is a must as I'm from an era where with any luck, a new Hutch or other great American classic was found under the Christmas tree!

Like I said, there's a sweet tennis court a two minutes ride up the street from my crib. It's super smooth and unused as far as I can tell. It's in a quiet oddball spot so I seriously doubt we'd be run off or get any complaints.

Spring is almost here. We could be riding before the snows gone.

Wayydankr

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:18:09 AM »
nice to hear from people in the area.  so, do you have a bike now or no?  I just got back into riding last year after about a 8 year hiatus (marriage, kids, work).  Just parted out both my old school rides and built/bought new school.  In fact, I just finished my new flatland bike today.  SOOOO eager to ride.  where in Lansing are you located? I've been here a long time so I probably know the spot you're talking about.  Definitely let me know if you're interested in riding.  once it's dry enough, I have a couple guys I meet up with over on MSU campus in the freshly paved lot behind Jennision Fieldhouse.

Offline Old B Hough

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »
I'm in Jackson, and as the weather breaks, a few of us will be riding regularly on the weekends near the Breslin Center in East Lansing.

We also have a set up in Mason/Holt at Church's Skate park to session on alternate Monday nights. This might be put on hold till the fall, depending on the weather. 

Always down for  :beer: and talking bikes.

I am about 5'11 and currently have a 19" top tube. I plan to go longer on my next frame, I think a 20" would fit me better, looking at Intrikat's as well, also like that Limited edition Colony with the platform that is coming out soon that has a 20.5 top tube.

Good luck on the new build!

Offline Wayydankr

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
YOOOOO! Getting a nice little thread here. Not bad for the crapitol city!

Pskat: Yeah man, no bike as of yet, my last ride was a Schwinn Predator Freeform, I'll post a pic...lol. So yeah, I'll be building one, unless I come across something clean and used that fits the bill. As far as location, I'm currently dodging bullets in S. Lansing!!! lol Nah, it's not that bad. I only don the bullet proof vest after dark. NahTomBout? This place is ridiculous.

Old B: Insight on the TT length is duly noted. Just seems to me, if that's the smallest size available, it might be best for the smallest rider. Regardless, I'm gonna need something strong.

I don't know if there's PM'ing here or what, but if either of you guys want to grab a brew sometime, I'm down. Hell, even if you guys get a sesh together I'd be stoked to come through and burn one down.

This was my last bike.. circa 89 baby. Don't laugh. Pink was hot!

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1960175/81625968.jpg

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
yep. i remember those.  that was the robert peterson era, right?  Have you been in the Lansing area for a while?  I'd be surprised if either Brian (OldBHough) or I hadn't already met you BITD.  Just waiting for the parking lots to dry and the salt to go away, then I'm sure we'll start riding again.  I'll try to let you know when and where.

Offline Wayydankr

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
Shoot, I dunno. I remember Ron Wilkerson, Eddie Fiola and Dennis McCoy. McCoy was my fav. I remember being in scouts and getting the BOYS LIFE mag that had him sky high on the cover. It was the first time I ever saw a half pipe. sh*t blew my mind as a little kid.

My fam moved to FL in 89' where kids were mostly skating so naturally I switched hats. I was about 14 and BMX/freestyle were dead in Orlando. Not like Atlanta where I moved from. All riding was huge there, we had that red GA clay. Just a bunch of southern kids covering anything with heaps of clay to build berms, ramps and tabletops, old washers, dryers, logs, you name it! In FL everything is either sand or pavement.

I wish I knew ya man. I'm living like a ghost. Been in Lansing almost 3 years. Moved to this region from Northern California, have yet to adjust to these Midwestern trends of obese women, cooler than thou hipsters and universal acceptance and use of Ebonics. Kind of a solo artist spending hours in the boat fishing the Grand... Need to get down to those Jackson lakes. Also just bought a beautiful Martin acoustic with hopes of learning to play, another expensive venture undertaken to remain vigilant in the daily war against cutting my wrists. I kid, I kid.

But yeah.. Like I said, I'm up for a meet. Shoot me a time and date and I'll show up with some super friendly session warmers... I can offer a handshake, a couple ice cold Edmund Fitzgeralds that'll have us hanging ten while standing still.

Holla atcha boi

edit* Yeah, that was ridiculous wow!!! Time to start finding some parts.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:44:46 AM by Wayydankr »

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »
I've seen a few good deals on NS parts here.  Have you started buying parts yet?

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
FYI:  it looks like a few of us may be getting out to ride this afternoon/evening (March 30) around 5pm at the Jenison Fieldhouse lot on MSU Campus.  head on over if you're interested.

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 02:17:49 AM »
session tomorrow at jenison around 5pm   unless parking lot is full.  alternate spot tbd.  give me a call if you're interested  5993495

Offline pskat

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
looks like we might be starting at an alternate spot around 4:00 - possibly the tennis court you've talked about (i think i know which one you're referring to - Marscott Park?). we should have a decent group of guys today - 6-8 people.  give me a call if you are interested.