Author Topic: anodized vs hard anodized  (Read 3214 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
anodized vs hard anodized
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
What's the difference?  Will brake wear be same..as in will it take longer for brake pads to wear off the color faster from one to the other?  Am looking at these rims here.    http://flatlandfuel.com/odysseyhazardliterim.aspx
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline rpl3000

Re: anodized vs hard anodized
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
"hard" anodize is typically thicker, but you can specify the thickness of the layer with the process time. Cosmetic color anodize is usually ~10um. Hard coats can be up to 100um.

Who would have though my fist post would be technical? I'm an engineer, so I spec coatings sometimes but its not my primary job. If someone in the metal finishing business has a better response, then by all means take it. 

-rpl

Offline ross636

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:31:29 AM »
not sure on the hard anodized colors but my hard anodized black is amazing  almost two years old and no brake wear at all.. and i ride front and rear brakes and i use the piss out of them lol

LOU4130

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »
What "spinnin n grinnin said...the hard anodize is a much stronger finish and is made to take brake use. Like ross 636 says, it hols up very well :) Regular anodize is what is typically used and wears off with brake use.