Author Topic: Global Science: Front or Back Wheel?  (Read 6743 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Global Science: Front or Back Wheel?
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »

The Global Flat Science Department (GFSD) conducted a so-called survey on the well-respected science portal Facebook.
We asked our 4000 followers if they prefer front or back wheel tricks. A mind-blowing amout of people (about 20) took the time to take part. So far the front wheel is slightly in the lead.

For the non-flatlanders out there we provided the "What is a wheel?" option. Apparently Adam Kun choose that one. Well.. 

Last but not least Facebook allows people to add their own options to the survey and someone claimed to be a banana. Dear friend, 1st: that's not relevant and 2nd: we don't believe you!

It's not too late to participate in our survey: click here.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
Re: Global Science: Front or Back Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »
Wow, that's interesting.

I'm firmly in the "Both" camp.  Doing only one or the other gets really boring to do and to watch.  People who mix it up are much more interesting IMHO, even at lower skill levels.

There are only so many variations of steam rollers, hitchhikers and whiplashes but that seems to be bulk of many people's repertoire.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:39:59 AM »
I did front wheel hops to a backwards peg wheelie yesterday. Whateva - I'ma do what I WANT!!!

Seriously, as an older rider, it's strange to see kids trying steamrollers and hitchhikers before they can even do a boomerang or tailwhip.

Even more seriously - I did do front wheel hops to a backwards peg wheelie yesterday and it felt AWESOME.

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
Using your whole bike will always be better than using half of your bike.

I remember seeing a post about a contest where they had a front wheel & back wheel class. WTF? What's next? A front wheel, left peg, right foot, clockwise only class? A 2 piece bar, pumping only, steamroller class?

Flatland is riding a bike and last time I checked, a bike has two wheels-use 'em!

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »
There are only so many variations of steam rollers, hitchhikers and whiplashes but that seems to be bulk of many people's repertoire.

This kind of thinking is awesome because it completely dismisses peoples riding without even thinking which is a great and respectful thing to do.

/sarcasm

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »

This kind of thinking is awesome because it completely dismisses peoples riding without even thinking which is a great and respectful thing to do.

/sarcasm

I'm not claiming I'm better, but my constructive criticism is that some people could use a little variety.

Maybe do something wacky like using the back wheel for more than just a handle. ;)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
I'm not claiming I'm better, but my constructive criticism is that some people could use a little variety.

my constructive criticism is that you should not share your criticism about other people's riding, especially if you don't understand what goes into it or why people choose to do what they do.

Maybe do something wacky like using the back wheel for more than just a handle. ;)

maybe do something wacky like let people choose their own path in a sport that revolves around self-induced progression and individuality

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:07 PM »
maybe do something wacky like let people choose their own path in a sport that revolves around self-induced progression and individuality

That all sounds fine and dandy, but I get no respect for doing what I do in flat. Seriously, the trick I'm working on right now is a frame standing infinity roll to a decade combo. In reality - nobody in today's pool of flatland cares about this trick combo, in fact, by many kids nowadays, it's laughable.

Also, front wheel tailwhip hops on the pegs to a backwards peg wheelie. More laughable tricks in today's arena - but I like it, and I'll ride like this as long as I can ride BMX.

I'm 38 yrs old and really couldn't care less about what is cool or not in flatland - but I can imagine how younger riders will want to lean more towards mimicking top pros.

This is why I always get jazzed to watch Dave Nourie ride - because I do a lot of the tricks he does. How much respect does that guy get from 15 yr. old kids trying to grow up to be like you? While I see a flatland legend, they see an old man on an old bike doing hopping tricks. Not very cool, right? So, yes, I believe, by a certain few, there is a little elitism going on in flat that we never seem to talk about.

So, we preach all day about "being an individual" but really - the amount of influence dark, emo'esque flatland videos with dubstep music have on an impressionable, young rider is way more powerful than "being an individual". I think it's natural for people to copy and mimic. Individuality comes later when they've copied all they can and have mastered it.

I understand all the steamrollers, hitchhikers and whiplashes in flatland today. I also understand the barspins, tailwhips and 180's in street today. It's all mimicking what kids see in videos. It was common for us to watch VHS recordings (like Aggroman) and try to learn every damn trick on those videos. It's part of the reason why I can only get into hitchhikers from an elbow glide (Kevin Jones did it that way in Dorkin).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:48:19 PM by Dion »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »
I get what you're saying and agree with what you're saying. I guess my point is that I got SOOO much sh*t for not riding back wheel that I set up my bike for rear wheel and rode only rear wheel for a year to learn everything I could to shut people the f*ck up about it. I got so much better at rear wheel than the detractors who were heckling me about it before, and it accomplished almost nothing except I have like 3-4 videos of what I worked on that year, and a whole heap of lost time riding in a style that wasn't fun for me at all.

Then I got back on the front wheel, progressed like crazy, yes doing steamrollers and halfpackers and actually ::gasp:: enjoyed riding again. I ever came up with my own way of doing things exploring ideas and tricks people like him will stand proud and say are dead and worth moving on from.

Just chaps my ass is all, as most things do.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »
There's nothing wrong with doing old tricks. The problem comes from when Joe Old School starts up about how everything that came afterwards is just a bunch of trendy kids riding trendy setups doing trendy new school tricks that are all just Jones/Gouin derivatives. Seriously, all that's going on in flat nowadays are steams, hikers, and whiplashes? No respect for all the switches, pivots, direction changes, speed control, and flow going on in those combos? Was Uchie's last edit just a glorified dork wheelie exhibition? I'd have to say that I've seen way more old schooler "elitism" than I have anything coming from riders who keep their sh*t current.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »
I get what you're saying and agree with what you're saying. I guess my point is that I got SOOO much sh*t for not riding back wheel that I set up my bike for rear wheel and rode only rear wheel for a year to learn everything I could to shut people the f*ck up about it. I got so much better at rear wheel than the detractors who were heckling me about it before, and it accomplished almost nothing except I have like 3-4 videos of what I worked on that year, and a whole heap of lost time riding in a style that wasn't fun for me at all.

Then I got back on the front wheel, progressed like crazy, yes doing steamrollers and halfpackers and actually ::gasp:: enjoyed riding again. I ever came up with my own way of doing things exploring ideas and tricks people like him will stand proud and say are dead and worth moving on from.

Just chaps my ass is all, as most things do.

F' 'em. You're a great, high level rider and you enjoy what you do - so they can go eat it. :D

It's just internet troll kids with nothing better to do, anyway, man.

But that's what I'm talking about - why are we even hassling others for riding preferences? Or disrespecting or not acknowledging others for how they ride? I made a point with Dave Nourie, but watch Eddie Fiola wow a crowd for a minute - I say to these detractors to get off their high horse and enjoy ALL aspects of flatland. It's just not front wheel vs. back wheel and brakeless vs. brakes tricks. There's room in this world for all kinds of cool, creative styles and it all should be respected and enjoyed - and never heckled.

This goes for Joe Old School, too. As an old school rider, admittedly there's some jealousy that we can't do all that stuff - but personally, I'm friggin' amazed by it.

On that note, BITD pre-Jones/Gouin we were all Martin Aparijo clones, anyway - so we have no room to talk!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:12:54 AM by Dion »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
uhhh.. not al of us Bro, some were OSBORN/Itson clones.. :D    Its all FREESTYLE !!!

EDIT: I respect anybody Riding a bmx Bike because it makes me feel like all this mamby-pamby arguing is making them decide they're gonna do what they want anyways..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:25:09 AM by JUGGARNAUT »

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:22:50 AM »
uhhh.. not al of us Bro, some were OSBORN/Itson clones..:D    Its all FREESTYLE !!!

Shieeet, bizatch... now you got me thinking I need to go out and try to rock a CYBORG!!!! :p

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 05:26:08 AM »
uhhh.. not al of us Bro, some were OSBORN/Itson clones..:D    Its all FREESTYLE !!!

Shieeet, bizatch... now you got me thinking I need to go out and try to rock a CYBORG!!!! :p
hit us with pix...make sure you smile while doin it..:D

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 05:27:59 AM »
The only "Poles" I contribute to are the ones the single Moms swing on...feel me? fuk FB!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:31:39 AM by JUGGARNAUT »