Author Topic: Cherry Pickers?  (Read 10004 times)

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
Cherry Pickers?
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:40:35 PM »
anyone still doing these?

trying to get my technique down. not having much luck.

heard the texas lot are on this one, any tips?
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Cherry Pickers?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
They're hard if your right foot doesn't fit in that little space on the rear tire. I used to get into them by putting my left foot on the left peg, right foot in that little space. I would pull the front brake to endo and HOIST back, pulling the bike vertical, grabbing the front wheel and pulling my left leg over the head tube and immediately start hopping.

Cherrypickers are easier on old school bikes with brakes, but they are possible on newer bikes.

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
i tried them brakeless for a couple of hours this summer.
the best i could do was a couple of hops not pulled.
i think that's really hard to ge into it you have to pull back really hard, it's also really important to find the less uncomfortable foot position.

i'll try them again, you made me want to learn them
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:11:53 PM by MICHELE »
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline Agg

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
My foot doesn't fit on the tire on my current frame, but I can still do them on my street bike. I can do them with breaks or break-less, since you are basically using your foot to lock the tire anyway.

Anyhow, when I 1st learned these many moons ago after seeing the Rad movie intro for the 1st time. [Old schoolers will know what i'm talking about.]

What worked for me:

Stand the bike up in the Cherry Picker position, place your right foot on the back tire in the frame triangle pocket and practice standing up on the back tire and swinging your leg over the head tube and locking your left foot on the seat tube. Remember to keep your frame vertical without teetering. Once you feel comfortable with the transition and the position, you can begin practicing the hops. Keep in mind that small hops with slight adjustments to keep you vertical and balanced over the head-tube. Try just a few hops at a time, then pull your left leg off of the seat tube and place it on the ground. Rinse & repeat. With a bit of practice you will should see the number of hops increase, and ultimately as long as you wish to be up in the trick. There several variations too that you can play with once you master the initial trick.

Another thing I did to learning the trick was to set the bike up next to a wall, jump into a CP, and use the wall to hold myself up. This really helped me get into the right positions, feel the balance point, etc.

Cherry Pickers are one of those tricks that simply look cool and to do.

[size=78%]I hope this helps. :o) [/size]

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
Why do I have the feeling this was a troll thread that we've fallen for...

Scarily enough I'm from Texas and yes, I have done cherrypickers in the last year.

Kids and random people love those old tricks.  I think it's because they can tell what the heck you're doing.

Offline Agg

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
I hope not, that would be an unfortunate waste of time. :beginner:

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
 :)

Offline Jesa

• Team
  • Hitchhiker
    • Bristol Flatland UK
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:33:57 PM »
Well thought out and constructed thread. LOL

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »
Troll! :)

TBH, go do a time machine and people will be, like, "oh cool". Do a cherry picker in a crowd of sheeple and everybody will clap and cheer. People make fun, but the cherry picker is still a crowd pleaser.

Send me an angel... right now.

Offline oldschoolfool

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:46:08 AM »
 ;D

A little late to the party, but I still rock the cherrypickers.....as you can tell from my username I am purely old school.

The main thing with this trick is you need to have a proper frame to do it....most of the new school flat frames do not have enough seat tube height to fit your foot in there. Ideally you need at least 8.375" and up unless you have small feet.

The second thing is tire pressure.....you don't want to try this trick with 120psi, LOL......I keep my tires at 65psi which is a happy medium for old school bouncing and rolling tricks.

Probably the best way to learn this would be to go close to a wall, get into position and hang on to the wall while bouncing....try and take your hands off the wall and bounce for a while until you can get the feel.

Here's an "Egyptian Style" Cherrypicker on my '87 Dayglo pink GT Pro Freestyle Tour:

And a video we did a while back, I am on a custom candy Red '86 Redline RL20II in here, you will see me doing some Cherrypickers including the "Washing Machine" variant (no handed swinging side to side)

BMX Flatland Freestyle - Ala Moana, Hawaii - May 2012

B)

Offline oldschoolfool

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 04:49:38 AM »
And What's Up OldYeller, this is "diablo" from BMX MUSEUM.

B)

LOU4130

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »
hehehehe

Ah cherrypickers..i used to love those :)

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »

B)

Diablo!  A face for the name!

Unfortunately you are subjected to mine too ;)

Offline oldschoolfool

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »

B)

Diablo!  A face for the name!

Unfortunately you are subjected to mine too ;)

Cool Bro! hoping to debut my new Itson Pro Model SBC Trick Star soon!

Offline oldschoolfool

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 07:30:32 AM »

hehehehe

Ah cherrypickers..i used to love those :)

Also noticed your in the 501st Legion......I was with the Pacific Outpost (501st Legion of Hawaii), but I am too busy do to any troopings nowadays.

I was known as "Sonny Maul, SL 6988"

Here's my submission pic.....makeup alone took 3 hours, LOL......I went to Celebration IV in L.A. a few years back had a blast!!

Sorry for the sidetracking!

:)