Author Topic: Anyone using 21 inch TT for flat?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline southbanktramp

• Funky Chicken
Anyone using 21 inch TT for flat?
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »
Hi,
Just wanted some thoughts on using a 21" TT for flat as also want to ride street/park a little..

Possibly with minimal offset forks?

Cheers!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Anyone using 21 inch TT for flat?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
There's only 1 person I know who rides a 21"tt frame - Trevor Meyer

Offline southbanktramp

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
I can see why!

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
I did some years ago... Didnt work out to well for me 21tt and a 14.5 rear end it was to sluggish but great for manuals.

"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline southbanktramp

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
Just bought a 20.5 street frame from Amity with 13.5 CS so hopefully it might be a good compromise between flat/street   ^_^

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
good luck. The last bike I had was a Blackeye Bikes Killarado tt20.5 and 13.25 I think but it was the best size for me but Iam 6'2
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline lanceBurkhart

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »
I am about 6'0 and my TT is 21''. Its made for street/dirt but I think its just fine for all the flatland stuff I want to do. Assuming you are just messing around and having fun I think any size is fine (not the best but good enough). Here is a good post I always refer to when I question if I should have a specific bike for flatland vs street or whatever (and the dude who made the post is really good so i kinda trust what he is saying):

http://www.bmx-forum.com/t/96377/i-want-to-learn-flatland-thread

And here is a quote from it:

"So, Class is in session. Flatland is just like anything else in the world, to get good at it you have to work at it. It doesn't come easy.

But, learning tricks at your level makes a BIG difference. Most guys try and start with stuff that is too advanced for their skill level, and then they think that flatland is too hard for them.

You don't need a "flatland" specific bike to do these tricks, I can do all of them on a cheap mongoose if I wanted. Top tube angles don't make much difference. I do recommend brakes as they will save you many falls if you use them.

So you want to learn flatland. Here is a thread to help you out."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:18:00 PM by lanceBurkhart »

Offline Huko

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »

im rocking 21" tierra. suits good for me. maybe little bit longer back end would be perfect.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »
Considering what I rode back in the late 80's/early 90's when NOTHING was flat/street/dirt specific, anything modern is sweet. Considering my level of riding and how much I like to ride street, my next 20" build will be a flat/street hybrid with a longish toptube.

I've been busting hang-5's on my 24" cruiser (Stolen Saint) and once I get it set up as an "all-arounder" I will definitely ride flat with it.

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
I'm riding a 21" tt Kink Tocco for Flat, and Strands up front. Wouldn't have it any other way now!
Flat-ism

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
im on a 20.5/13.5 custom Intrikat best frame ive ever had, but im having trouble geting used to tricks over the headtube( deathtruck etc) even though im 6ft1". every other trick feels great and even though i only ride flat the bike feels great with the amont of room and now i dont feel like im riding a toy( i used to ride gt shows way back and looking back now i dont know how i did it.

Offline twotires

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
i ride a mutiny loosefer (20.6 tt, 13 cs 11.6bb) and it rides like a dream. Im also not too tall (5'6"). I find it is harder to get into all tricks but you can push harder into them and holding them is way more comfortable.

byke

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
I have experimented with a whole slew of different frame sizes (including 20.5") and must say the frame I am on now is by far the best shape I have had in years in terms of size.

However, this sizing through TT length is pointless.
I run a frame which is technically smaller than my last frame, yet my TT length is also longer.

I run a 14" rear end, 67 seat angle (offset by 5mm) and a shortish front end with a 40mm stem.
So as you can see its a real mongrel of specs compared to whats out there.
But length doesnt have to come from just one area in terms for the bike to feel bigger etc .....