Author Topic: Organising a jam/comp  (Read 8236 times)

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
Organising a jam/comp
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
Hey all,just wondering what is involved in setting up a jam,been thinking about it for a while,never done anything like that before how do you go about it?

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
    • :P
Re: Organising a jam/comp
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »
Here in NJ we just reserve a place, a time and spread the word. People normally show up

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
It can be a ton of work (but also really fun)...I certainly say securing a good location is key. Once you have a certain designated place, with permission to use it for BMX,  there comes peace of mind and you can work on getting the word out.

I am about to host my 4th Annual contest this summer, and on the eve of the 1st one, I still didn't have permission from the town to use the Street Hockey rink..it was a nail biter but all is well now!! Haha     Don't stress about it being a world-class competition...most riders would be psyched to mess around in a parking lot with 15 other bmxers anyway!  Start small and keep it fun!

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
For a Jam: Secure a Location. Setup a time and date ( preferable a month in advance) spread the word through phone and facebook.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
I have done it with some success within a month...but that was a hassle. As my jams got bigger and bigger, I needed more time to put all the details together.

I am now 6 months ahead of the game for our 2013 comp..coming this July to Massachusetts!

Offline Reeceflat

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
Need a good jam up here in Scotland man

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input keep it coming :beer:

Offline ruedogg8

• Cliffhanger
  • Do it while you can!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:16 AM »
My experience in Seattle has been a good one. The first year I hosted a jam, I put out a feeler announcement here on global to see when would be an ideal time that people would attend. After I locked down a location and a date, I put the word out on several BMX sites and had a decent turn out. This year will be our fifth year... Good Luck!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »

We put on a jam in 2011. Had a guy who had access to heavy-duty portable canopy's bring those and set them up. Everyone who had them brought some folding chairs. Someone else was designated as being in charge of food and drinks. My brother has a really nice pa that he uses for block parties and such, so I had him bring that and it was hooked to an iPod (DJ Pandora!). I borrowed a large fan (it was in June) and a generator from work. Another guy got in touch with Cult Energy Drink, and they just showed up to hand out free product and park one of their promotional trucks nearby, so it looked official. Oh, and I dropped $100 on a portopotty so nobody had to pee in the park.

Make a poster and people will show up. It was mentioned on Flatweb TV as the best flyer ever.

248569_193748047339793_2188340_n.jpg

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:34 AM »
I've tried to set up at least 2 jams. Both failed. It wasn't for lack of advertising or networking - it was all due to the lazy attitude of NorCal - nobody wanted to show up. I live in San Jose, Ca. and I'm the only flatland rider here. Everybody else is north.

Here's the epic video of the most epic jam I put on: Mutt's B-Day Jam

Serious riding, so make sure you're sitting down as you watch the magic!

http://youtu.be/7y8afxSIjQk

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »
I've tried to set up at least 2 jams. Both failed. It wasn't for lack of advertising or networking - it was all due to the lazy attitude of NorCal - nobody wanted to show up. I live in San Jose, Ca. and I'm the only flatland rider here. Everybody else is north.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but why should they travel to you?

Offline dan4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:33:12 AM »
special event insurance!
IF FLATLAND EVER HAS A DEBATE TEAM. I WANT T.J. PERRY AS MY CAPTAIN!!

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 01:33:32 AM »

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but why should they travel to you?

I've only attempted to set up one here in San Jose - the rest I've traveled an hour-and-a-half north to set up. Then I picked an area that was in the "middle" with a BBQ, music, and paid for all the food - nobody. I even had some shirts to give away, etc. Nothing.

NorCal is weird that way. I gave up. I took the time, spent my own money, secured a spot, offered give-a-ways, etc. and nobody wanted to go. I can imagine guys not showing up to ride with me on a normal day, but I had set this up well enough to warrant a 45 min. drive.

The most successful jam we have is ZumbiJam and that's down in the Malibu area, and Darin and the rest of the OneLove guys putting that on travel 8-9 hours to the spot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:36:13 AM by Dion »

Offline dan4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 01:37:52 AM »
i been to the BBT for a session   Dion is a good guy!!

IF FLATLAND EVER HAS A DEBATE TEAM. I WANT T.J. PERRY AS MY CAPTAIN!!

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:12 AM »
i been to the BBT for a session   Dion is a good guy!!

Thanks Big Dan! You know I tried with these guys over here - we're pretty spread out though. Funny, but the most dedicated guys I know to getting together to ride are old-school BMX riders - like, just basic freestyle riders who want to cruise, hit park, street, flat - whatever. These guys are happy just to ride peg wheelies down the street.

Flatlanders in NorCal? Eh, not so much.