Author Topic: Organising a jam/comp  (Read 8299 times)

Offline splf1

• Hitchhiker
    • www.onelovebmx.com
Re: Organising a jam/comp
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Hey Dion get your facts straight. ZumbiJam is in November. You didn't even show up, only 1 ZumbiJam was called off for rain. The last 2 Zumbi Jams have been awesome btw. Also I remember you rather ride you CX than come to Santa Rosa to drink free beer n BBQ and ride circles in the lot.
OneLoveJam is held down south because of our weather in Jan. OneLoveJam isn't label a NorCal jam so please do not get the 2 jams confused, and i really wish you wouldn't say 'we' ,since I've never met you in person, and you have nothing to do with organizing the event. Oh yeah I forgot, OneLoveJam was posted all over the internet, and then you acted like you we're under a rock, and I'm pretty sure OSG would have let you known.
To call NorCal riders lazy...you should look at yourself before pointing fingers.
I'm throwing 3 jams this year. You missed the first, I'm holding a 4/20Jam this year, and also ZumbiJam so instead of calling 'us' lazy, try to make these.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Organising a jam/comp
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
Hey Dion get your facts straight. ZumbiJam is in November. You didn't even show up, only 1 ZumbiJam was called off for rain. The last 2 Zumbi Jams have been awesome btw. Also I remember you rather ride you CX than come to Santa Rosa to drink free beer n BBQ and ride circles in the lot.
OneLoveJam is held down south because of our weather in Jan. OneLoveJam isn't label a NorCal jam so please do not get the 2 jams confused, and i really wish you wouldn't say 'we' ,since I've never met you in person, and you have nothing to do with organizing the event. Oh yeah I forgot, OneLoveJam was posted all over the internet, and then you acted like you we're under a rock, and I'm pretty sure OSG would have let you known.
To call NorCal riders lazy...you should look at yourself before pointing fingers.
I'm throwing 3 jams this year. You missed the first, I'm holding a 4/20Jam this year, and also ZumbiJam so instead of calling 'us' lazy, try to make these.

Sorry you got me wrong, homie. This was about 5 years ago when I tried to do this - I didn't even know you guys back then. I run an insurance office: I work 7 days a week, from 6am to 10pm, totally on commission. My Calendar is booked one month in advance - and I can't blame you guys for my insane job that never stops. I honestly didn't know OneLove was going down until the day it was going down - nobody put me on that damn FB event!

I was a little upset at myself for not hauling up to Santa Rosa and not riding with you guys. Believe me, I was back and forth that morning waiting to see if the rain was going to break. My wife can attest to that, cause I was kicking myself for not going. I put Zumbi on my calendar the day you announced it.

I used the term "we" because "we" as in "us" as in NorCal. I wasn't trying to indicate I had anything to do with what you guys do. I'm a little perplexed of how/why you read into it that way.

I also admit I mistook the ZumbiJam for the OneLove Jam - the OneLove Jam down in SoCal was actually what I referring to, which is very successful - and probably because of the location and great incentives to go.

I'm not mad, brother - so don't be at me. The flat scene in San Jose is nonexistent which is a little sad, considering how large freestyle was back in the day. We have a great street scene with the FourOhHate guys and such.

In fact, why are you mad at the fact that I tried? Not once, but 3 times? Where's my biscuit?! :P

I never said NorCal riders were lazy (I had to look at my posts to be sure I didn't say anything like that) - but the question was asked, "Why should they come to you?". I tried to move things around, change locations, offer "incentives" but nobody showed up. I honestly think that my jams were just not attractive like yours are. I mean, really, you guys have sponsors, pro riders, a sick spot... I had none of that when I attempted to put on one - so I can see why there would be lack of interest. Really, why should anybody be slightly interested in what I was trying to do?

In the end - I tried. I'm not mad at the NorCal scene, but just stating the fact: Guys were not interested in what I tried to do. That's cool - it was a good lesson! We are spread out, and I am on planet Pluto down here in San Jose. Jorge is the only guy I ride with because he is actually the closest guy to me. I will find time to get up there to you, but I have had my office for a decade now, and I know it never lets up. This sh*t will kill me.

Please don't put words into my mouth - you read into what I was saying claiming that NorCal riders are lazy. I never said that. This is the scene. It's strong in some areas and very weak in other areas (like down here). That is fact, right?

We're on the same team, holmes. I tried to lift the sport with organizing some things and failed. And like I said, I ain't mad. Before this conversation and before you got mad at me (at something that I never said), it goes without saying that I have MAD respect for the success you guys have at your Jams. I'd like to attempt again, but I know it will result in zilch. I'll let you guys handle it!! :)

Recently I thought about trying again and discussed it over with the Mrs. She told me not to. I was going to reach out for sponsors, get a sick spot, etc. but I took her advice. She knows I spread myself too thin, and she knows I would be disappointed in the turn-out. So I let the idea go. I was going to call it the "Silicon Valley Ghetto Tech Jam". Eh! That ain't happening!  ???

Before this blows up into some Mutt'esque style drama fest, I am on your side. I never said NorCal was lazy, it is what it is and in my attempts on putting jams and such on, I learned that it takes some very creative maneuvering to make something successful - as I've always believed and spoke to others - you guys get mad props for what you do. 4/20 is on my calendar as of NOW.

Organizing a jam is the opposite of lazy.  :beer: Props man - let's not twist words and dis-unite the scarce flat scene. We are one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:33:53 PM by Dion »