Author Topic: khe geisha coaster side to side play/wobbling..solved  (Read 7075 times)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
khe geisha coaster side to side play/wobbling..solved
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
hello,
so i have the geisha coaster hub and i have the axle the converts the non acb sells to acb hubsells.
so i tight everything right and at the end it has a side to side play,you can see the non driver bearing going in and out of the shell by a mm.if you grab the backwhell and move it left right..
anyone has the same prob or my hubsell is destroyed after5-6 years and i need a new sell.?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:27:27 AM by sakis »

Offline Kojloj3ok

Re: khe geisha coaster side to side play/wobbling..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
I have the same problem with my old gold geisha coaster converted to 14mm axle. A thin metal washer underneath driver side bearing would eliminate this problem. I've made this out of thin polycarbonate just to check weather it would work and it worked fine, although it didn"t last long as the material is to soft. If you can machine this washer it would definetly help you get rid f the wobble.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
ive been through this multiple times with multiple khe type coaster. no matter what u do there will always be play. it sucks believe me. ive tried everything.thin headset shim under bearing,new bearings, new axles. the driver tolerance to drive side bearing has to much give.imho

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
so i have to make this metal wahser and put it just before i install the bearing where the driver goes?
and is 1 mm good?i think i can make one maybe from aluminium..let me know if i understand correct

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
have you tried Permatex's bearing mount glue for loose fit bearings?
i've used it to restore my spin wheelset, and use it like a threadlocker for my nankai alloy shell and thread-in pivot post for "u" brakes with success.
the only issue is that you might need to apply heat (hot air gun or blowtorch) to break the bond...

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
on my geisha light i had the same problem, but solved it by replacing the non-drive side bearing.

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
What is it with KHE,ive heard nothing but problems with their products,so glad im not running any of them.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:39:23 AM »
You know what works really well? A small piece of a beer can. Just a tiny sliver. It keeps mine tight yet it spins perfectly.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »
lol tj i used the same thing. and john u the wobble is back on the light

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »
You know what works really well? A small piece of a beer can. Just a tiny sliver. It keeps mine tight yet it spins perfectly.
i was doing this on the old forks that were without integrated fork race...i ll try to see,,i have to put it at the side of the bearing before the bearing right?

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »
by doing so, your hub will be off-center. if you true your rims later to compensate for the hop, it too will be off-center and if you run your chain tight, you'll have tight-loose spots.
i did something similar to my colony jam circle sprocket, the tight-loose chain rattle almost drove me to insanity... lol.   

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
If he has wobbles the hub is off center already but in a less predictable way. If you're using a can it won't be off center by any real noticeable amount. The other thing you can do is just grease the living sh*t out of the hub around the bearings. This fills in some gaps and keeps the wobble from being noticeable.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
thats what i do also  thick grease where bearings press in

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
ok,i ll try aluminium can and lithium grease.thank you everybody. ;-)

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
thats what i do also  thick grease where bearings press in

If he has wobbles the hub is off center already but in a less predictable way. If you're using a can it won't be off center by any real noticeable amount. The other thing you can do is just grease the living sh*t out of the hub around the bearings. This fills in some gaps and keeps the wobble from being noticeable.

yup, my friend did that for his federal v2s; it actually works! it'a a type of high-temperature dark green, super-stinky and tacky lithium grease.