Author Topic: KHE Greyhound Front Hub Squeaks  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
Re: KHE Greyhound Front Hub Squeaks
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
It could be that the collars arent the right size to space the hub out properly. If you've got nothing to loose i would suggest filing the outside of the collar down abit. If the collar is just a smidge to wide when you tighten the bolts down the collars will squash the bearings & create the tightness you guys are describing.

Topsey, you are a genius!  That is exactly what we did.  One of my buddies owns a lot of machines and he is an incredible bike mechanic.  He took the collars and used a machine to file them down slightly.  The wheel rolls forever now.  The screeching sound was a different issue.  It turned out to be a spoke that needed some lubrication.  My wheel rolls fine and makes no noises....FINALLY!!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:20:50 PM by Flatland Fanatic »

Phatman

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »
Awesome! Glad i could help :)

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 08:09:30 PM »
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ You said it Kelvin it's male hubs for me from now on

Throughout history females have always been high Maintinance  ;D
Thanks for that Matt that made me laugh loads when i read that,lol,top bolt got posted for you today by the way.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
It could be that the collars arent the right size to space the hub out properly. If you've got nothing to loose i would suggest filing the outside of the collar down abit. If the collar is just a smidge to wide when you tighten the bolts down the collars will squash the bearings & create the tightness you guys are describing.

Topsey, you are a genius!  That is exactly what we did.  One of my buddies owns a lot of machines and he is an incredible bike mechanic.  He took the collars and used a machine to file them down slightly.  The wheel rolls forever now.  The screeching sound was a different issue.  It turned out to be a spoke that needed some lubrication.  My wheel rolls fine and makes no noises....FINALLY!!!

can you be more specific?

1)
i'm really keen as mine doesn't roll as smooth as my old proper hub and i'd like to solve the issue.
so you just turn down the external side ("face" part which meets the dropout's) of the cone so that it sits flush with the alloy axle?   

2)
how the hell do spokes screech? "ping, tings and poinks!" are usually what is heard from spoke/ nipple issues... lol

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ You said it Kelvin it's male hubs for me from now on

Throughout history females have always been high Maintinance  ;D

lol, so right...and yet so wrong, lol.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
Good to hear that!
I can understand why a lot of you guys are angry about the need to do such things when you have just bought a new product. On the other hand the companies have to produce with small tolerances and I think this has caused the problem here. The cone seems to have been just to close to the bearing on the outer side. Am I right?
Altough this should have been done properly by the manufacturer, it is nice to here that in some cases you can fix one of these problems.

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

can you be more specific?

1)
i'm really keen as mine doesn't roll as smooth as my old proper hub and i'd like to solve the issue.
so you just turn down the external side ("face" part which meets the dropout's) of the cone so that it sits flush with the alloy axle?   

I will try to post pics later.  Basically, the wheel wasn't rolling well because the collars weren't even with the axle.  Take your wheel off, take the pegs off and turn the wheel on its side.  Look really closely at the aluminum axle and the collars.  On mine, the collars were a few millimeters taller than the end of the axle.  If you look close, it is clearly noticeable.  The collars pop right off on the Greyhound.  Take each one and carefully begin filing down the outside until it sits even with the axle when you put it back on.  You have to file just a little to get it to work, but it will make all of the difference in the world.

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »
P.S.  We filed down the external part of the cone, not the side that is closest to the hub.  We filed on the side that is at the end of the axle.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
i get you; i noticed that (cone and spindle not flush) on my hub too. i thought that was to provide compression to prevent side-to-side play.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
K. Wong, I believe that it exactly what it is meant for. If one would file down too much, it would lead to side-to-side play. If this area is too wide, the hub scratches under side load.
That is what I meant with my comment about the tolerances. With this system the cones have to be very precise. At least I think that is the problem.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
the fork's dropouts play a factor too, me thinks.
my friend's ares clone of the greyhound front hub suffers from side to side play; and the dropout's are around 101.5mm wide. shims help, but makes installing and removing the front wheel a bitch, and my friend travels a fair bit with his bike, so he decided that no shims and compressing the forks by over-tightening would be better option for him - it works, but a mechanic-head like me shivers in disgust, lol.