Author Topic: Hang_Five_Help  (Read 11169 times)

Offline PandaDust

• Funky Chicken
Hang_Five_Help
« on: January 20, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
I've been trying to get into hang fives for ages but I cant get the back end to POP up.

I lean over the bars, I put my right foot on the back right peg and as I push forwards I try to roll my wrists but it only goes about a foot max.

Any tips. :(

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
Re: Hang_Five_Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
Alight mate,hows you? Check out the trick section on here click on forward hang 5 and on the right of the page is all the posts and answers of people asking the same question as you are,try leaning forward quite a bit it will feel as if youre going to bail forwards at first but keep at it mate once you find that balance point everytime it will feel much easier,when i was learning them when i leaned forward i got my eyes in level with the front of the front tire,they took me a while to learn myself and learn to bail out of them too it will help so you dont headbutt the floor as i found out the hard way once,keep your arms locked and if youre running a front brake try to forget its there.i hope you get them soon dude :beer:

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »
I've been trying to get into hang fives for ages but I cant get the back end to POP up.

I lean over the bars, I put my right foot on the back right peg and as I push forwards I try to roll my wrists but it only goes about a foot max.

Any tips. :(
Just noticed mate,why would your foot be on the back peg?????

Offline PandaDust

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
1.  Sorry didn't notice that there was a questions part of the tricks page.
2. My left foot is on the front left peg and my right is on my back right for when i push up. :(Because when i try to do it on the pedal the bike just judders lol):

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
Thats cool mate,it might be having your foot on the back peg thats stopping the frame popping up properly just a thought,try it on the pedal and as you push your arms forward and lean forward scoop your foot thats on the front peg back slightly then control your balance with your free leg but remember to keep your arms locked.

Offline PandaDust

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
Does the angle/height of my seat affect how much i have to push? I currently have a khe railed which Is flat angled.

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
It shouldnt matter too much it didnt for me anyway but you might find it easier with your seat a little lower try it and see what works best for you mate.

Offline PandaDust

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks man ill give it a try from the pedal next session. Hopefully I won't face plant aha..

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
Let us know how you get on mate,learn to bail out of the hang 5 too it will help while youre learning it,lol.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »
if you have troubles getting the back end to pop up, its probably because you haven't learned to put all your weight on the front peg.
to do that, i mean feeling the weight of your whole body on the front peg, you can try this : roll like if you were getting into a hang 5, then instead of lifting the back end up, just put all your weight on the front peg that your foot is on, and lift the other foot off the back peg so that it doen't rest on it. now all your weight is on the front, try to just roll like this a few feet. with your weight on the front peg, wich is directly on the axis of rotation of the bike when you lift the back end, it is much easier to get the back end to pop up.

just an idea. it's not the way i learned it but, it might help...

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:35:52 PM »
Yo Sammy "Hang fives suck" :P

It took me 2 years of riding before i fully committed to it (on your bike was one of the 1st ones i really rolled)

Keep at it mate it'll come once you learn to bail over the bars it won't be so scary and i pop off the back peg aswell i can't do it of the pedal

Offline PandaDust

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »
Think the thicker tires will make much difference cos I'm willing to try anything to get some progression at the moment xD

Offline PandaDust

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
if you have troubles getting the back end to pop up, its probably because you haven't learned to put all your weight on the front peg.
to do that, i mean feeling the weight of your whole body on the front peg, you can try this : roll like if you were getting into a hang 5, then instead of lifting the back end up, just put all your weight on the front peg that your foot is on, and lift the other foot off the back peg so that it doen't rest on it. now all your weight is on the front, try to just roll like this a few feet. with your weight on the front peg, wich is directly on the axis of rotation of the bike when you lift the back end, it is much easier to get the back end to pop up.

just an idea. it's not the way i learned it but, it might help...

Thanks man I'll try the sounds like a good idea! :)

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
Think the thicker tires will make much difference cos I'm willing to try anything to get some progression at the moment xD

I ride 1.75's and when i built that bike for you with the 1.95's i felt super confident and tried them and i even have a photo Richie took of me on a hang ten that same night

The wider the tyre the easier it is balance and they are a little bit slower :-)

But don't forget it is a hard trick and it will take time and patience

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

Hows the snow where you are mate? Got any riding in?