3 (13%)
2 hours
5 (21.7%)
3 hours
7 (30.4%)
3+ hours
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: How long should I practice every day?  (Read 9328 times)

Offline Richi@Bremerhaven

• Cliffhanger
  • 1Champ BMX Mailorder
How long should I practice every day?
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:26:55 PM »
I am worrying about this question since I realised I am still student and have enough time to spend a half day in riding... But: Is more always better?
What's your opinion?
1Champ BMX Mailorder

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: How long should I practice every day?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
I would say between 2-3, depending on how tired you are.

However, taking breaks can be good sometimes. I hadn't ridden in december because of the snow and when I had my 2 first sessions in january, I hadn't lost any trick, I even progressed a little bit without even practising! I was really surprised!

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
how long should you practice ? you could ask the question differently : what am i trying to achieve riding flatland ? because the answer to that question gives you the answer of the first question. if you want to be pro you should ride 3 hours a day with days off here and there to give your body some rest and avoid injuries. Personnaly there are less and less tricks that i want to be doing in flatland, so i don't need to ride that much to achieve my own goal, an hour a day is enough for me. but if you want to be doing a large number of tricks, you have a lot to learn and should ride often. So it all depends on your own ambitions and the kind of tricks you're into.

Phatman

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:45:31 PM »
Depends on what you want to get out of it, i see you want to be a pro. In my view i think most people ride for the enjoyment & even if you want to be pro, you cannot lose the love of the sport or whats the point? Being Famous & making some money? I think it'd be a pretty hollow feeling just trying to win competitions & sh*t just to make a living. Id practice 2-3 hours a day & you should progress pretty quickly.

• Cliffhanger
  • 1Champ BMX Mailorder
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:57:15 AM »
Depends on what you want to get out of it, i see you want to be a pro. In my view i think most people ride for the enjoyment & even if you want to be pro, you cannot lose the love of the sport or whats the point? Being Famous & making some money? I think it'd be a pretty hollow feeling just trying to win competitions & sh*t just to make a living. Id practice 2-3 hours a day & you should progress pretty quickly.

Yeah as I said... It is not necessary to make money with it... I have a friend who's Pro, he never goes to contest and just rides for himself. His tricks are awesome and that's my goal! I want to ride as good as he does, maybe even better...
1Champ BMX Mailorder

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:06 AM »
then you should ride as much as you possibly can ;)

• Cliffhanger
  • 1Champ BMX Mailorder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
Rode 4 hours today... Felt good but it didn't feel like it was fun for me all the time...
1Champ BMX Mailorder

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
practicing isn't always fun...but it suits your goal of becoming a pro.

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
Rode 4 hours today... Felt good but it didn't feel like it was fun for me all the time...
i wouldve loved to have ridden for 4 hours today,damn snow.

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
The more important aspect is riding daily even if its for 30 minutes. If you want to get good, putting alot of thought into your riding when learning is key. I see and hear alot of people riding for 3,4 and 5 hours and not progressing because they aren't putting enough mental effort into their riding.

For example: I spoke with a guy that had trouble dialing hang 5's. I watched him ride and noticed that he wouldn't flick and lock his wrist when pushing up into the position. " He told me oh I only that sometimes *shrug*" when that motion is critical in learning that tricks. He since has never dialed the position because he hadnt put in the effort to learn that motion.

There are several tips that will help you progress super fast such as:

You have to break down tricks when learning them, and figure out what motions on particular parts of your body have to do this or that to make it work. Treat it like the scientific method, trial and error so to speak, and make notes ( whether mental or on paper) of which actions are making the trick happen or easier...

Many tricks are essential identical and could be learned simultaneously like cross handed steams and time machines in which your holding the bike in the same way.

Putting in the time to learn how to do basic tricks like the hang 5 and peg wheelie with both feet and on both sides and both directions will make you superbly familiar with the bike, free of road skill blocks down the line and more balanced rider.
Some great examples of this are the whiplash which require the constant switch back and forth from non -dominant ( yes you must first kick off with your non dominant foot!) to your dominant foot.

Learn the 3 ways of creating momentum ( scuffing, pumping and turbining)

and MOST importantly have fun , be patient, and believe in yourself and all will follow. :)

• Cliffhanger
  • 1Champ BMX Mailorder
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
The more important aspect is riding daily even if its for 30 minutes. If you want to get good, putting alot of thought into your riding when learning is key. I see and hear alot of people riding for 3,4 and 5 hours and not progressing because they aren't putting enough mental effort into their riding.

For example: I spoke with a guy that had trouble dialing hang 5's. I watched him ride and noticed that he wouldn't flick and lock his wrist when pushing up into the position. " He told me oh I only that sometimes *shrug*" when that motion is critical in learning that tricks. He since has never dialed the position because he hadnt put in the effort to learn that motion.

There are several tips that will help you progress super fast such as:

You have to break down tricks when learning them, and figure out what motions on particular parts of your body have to do this or that to make it work. Treat it like the scientific method, trial and error so to speak, and make notes ( whether mental or on paper) of which actions are making the trick happen or easier...

Many tricks are essential identical and could be learned simultaneously like cross handed steams and time machines in which your holding the bike in the same way.

Putting in the time to learn how to do basic tricks like the hang 5 and peg wheelie with both feet and on both sides and both directions will make you superbly familiar with the bike, free of road skill blocks down the line and more balanced rider.
Some great examples of this are the whiplash which require the constant switch back and forth from non -dominant ( yes you must first kick off with your non dominant foot!) to your dominant foot.

Learn the 3 ways of creating momentum ( scuffing, pumping and turbining)

and MOST importantly have fun , be patient, and believe in yourself and all will follow. :)

Thank you very much! I hope this is going to help me !!!!! :)
1Champ BMX Mailorder

• Cliffhanger
  • 1Champ BMX Mailorder
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »
Todays Winter Riding - Richard Lau [01/16/2013]
1Champ BMX Mailorder

Phatman

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
Looks like you have a great basis to progress, keep it up!

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
Looks like you have a great basis to progress, keep it up!
Totally agree with you Topsey,nice edit Richi keep it up for sure dude

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
Ride when you want to ride. If you aren't motivated to work hard, you'll just form bad habits and not progress.