Author Topic: dual front brake setup??  (Read 11232 times)

Offline 2000slammer

dual front brake setup??
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:02 PM »
can some one please explain to me what dual front brake setup is,how it works, what is the benefit,etc.

Offline CanadianFlat

• Hitchhiker
  • ..."But you can't do a backflip?"
Re: dual front brake setup??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:56:27 PM »
yeah, I brought this up a while ago and someone said they would post a close up view so i could see exactly how it works .. so could someone please post a picture of the braking system
-Matt

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:58:18 PM »
The two main ways are:

Upside down gyro cable:  Take a bottom gyro cable, run the single piece to the front brake and te splits to the levers and knarp them in the lever.  (not a great solution for several reasons).

Doubble Dutch: cut a piece of housing that runs from the lever, through the stem and to the front brake.  Once you have the length correct cut a second piece of equal length.  Now run a cable from the left lever down through the left housing, through one side of the brake, into the bottom of the other housing and up to the right lever where you knarp the end.  I think this is the best solution going today but I've heard complaints about too much friction and "spongey" braking.

I just received a do-dad in the mail yesterday that I'll be testing to see if it's an improvement on the double front mods. 

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:40:29 PM »
In case you're interested, the doppelganger mod allows you to pull either lever and engage both brakes at the same time.

Offline 2000slammer

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »
and the point of this is so that you can have two separate levers to operate the front brakes???

LOU4130

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »
yes thats exactly what it does. it can be useful for switches, and give you more options if you like to use front brakes as you can easily apply the brake regardless of which way the bars are turned or which side of the bike your on.

I ran this set up at one time because i learned alot of stuff "lefty" but learned others the "regular" way, so that helped me a bit.

Offline slimp

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:46:05 AM »

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »

Offline CanadianFlat

• Hitchhiker
  • ..."But you can't do a backflip?"
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
Alright, i finally decided to finally try this but i have a few more questions, where exactly to I knarp the cable? Do you just thread it through the lever and knarp it in the back?

secondly.. Do I need to buy anything particular parts? or  should i be able to do this with my normal brake system?
-Matt

flatliner

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 01:13:15 AM »
I use an Odyssey Monolever and what i do is i drill a hole right behind the lever arm that feeds directly into the slot the cable end goes into. Feed the cable through the first side, like a regular brake and then feed it up through the steer tube again. put a knarp inside the other brake lever and feed the cable through the knarp and out of the hole you drilled. this will allow you to put the cable tight and then tighten the knarp down and you NEVER have to worry about a spongy feeling.

Offline ying

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 05:24:42 AM »
this set up is a bitch, but i like it. i have the dia tech lever that was made for the duel fronts. before that i used a knarp and the oddy levers.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
In case you're interested, the doppelganger mod allows you to pull either lever and engage both brakes at the same time.

Hey Matt, have you ever gotten this to work smoothly? It just seems to me that it would take a lot of muscle to pull since you'd have double the spring tension to fight.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
Hey Matt, have you ever gotten this to work smoothly? It just seems to me that it would take a lot of muscle to pull since you'd have double the spring tension to fight.

Yes and no.  If you want to have equal power on front and back through the whole link then you're going to have to pull the lever HARD.  It's less of a problem overcoming spring tension than the fact that you are baring down on 4 pads at once.  If your link is mostly on one wheel you can use the barrel adjuster at the front or back brake to bring the pads in jst a little closer to the rim than their counterpart.  This increases the power of one brake to the detriment of the other.

Overall I'm really happy with the invention but I just don't have the skills to make the most of the set up.  Another problem is that I created it at a time when people were abandoning their back brake all together so I might as well have invented a new locking lever a sealed bearing seat roller.

louisflat

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 02:48:33 PM »
i've always wanted to try this. i know ron baker rides with dual front brakes. What's the most important part that i would have to buy?

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »
i've always wanted to try this. i know ron baker rides with dual front brakes. What's the most important part that i would have to buy?

1 knarp.