Author Topic: Standard Bykes flatland frame!  (Read 72620 times)

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Standard Bykes flatland frame!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
i love everything about it but the rear dropout/stay junction. it'd be nicer if it was tapered like an S&M, flatter like a quamen or invertered like a st martin. just something a lil more foot friendly

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »
i'll make my replies quick since it's about rick wanting input-

yes, rode standards frames before;

i was one of the few who created topics in regard to the sbc flat frame:

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=53369

i understand that the pixs shown are custom bikes for specific riders, and the final bike might differ, but i shudder at the thought that sbc producing another diamond frame with similar specs. as a taiwanese-made diamond frame.
for every 1 of sbc bike sold, 10 or more sold are made in taiwan; so competing head-on with taiwanese and chinese bicycle manufacturing industry is silly to me.
not only has rick/ sbc got to compete with taiwanese, he has to compete with boutique custom frame builders within us-of-a (ketch, fbm, solid, circle a, mtf...etc) who can make a custom frame at similar price points and quality similar to that of sbc.

to those who posted below me, you must remember by the time the new frame is released after test trials it might be what the 1st gen flatware's waltz was - great frame but a little behind the curve in terms of trends/ riding styles/ preferences.   

there are so many sbc tao/ shaman clones out there for a reason, and is a testiment to the quality and orginality of the intial tao frame.

to sum up what others said so far:

1) dropouts - flush against chainstays and seatstays
2) longer dropouts for adjustments
3) unique sbc design elements to be incooperated
4) choice of rear brakemounts - welded or adjustable
5) weight - below 2kg, not everyone is able to spec.out their frame with titanium hardware.

6) my geo. suggestion-

75 deg. hta;
73 deg. sta or 73.5;
11.5" or 11.75" bb height;
spanish b.b.?
18.9 t.t. length;
17 1/4" stand over height at top tube to seatstay tube juncture (centre of tube)
12.75" to 13.5" chainstays length

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:01:47 PM by K.Wong »

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
it looks good enough to me as it is. straight and simple. No need to add unnecessary details. I think that quality is what should set this frame apart from the rest, not gimmicks.

Offline Jesa

• Team
  • Hitchhiker
    • Bristol Flatland UK
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
Looks good, would prefer it as it is rather than adding a gusset. Nothing wrong with making a diamond frame really. You would be competing regardless just by making a frame as not everyone wants a double diamond frame.

I dont like the idea of removable lugs as I simply do not run a back brake and have no intentions to and never have. Seems to just be a personal thing and to cater to both is probably the best option, even if those like myself who will never run a rear brake complain haha. The option of lugged or not would be nice though. Longer toptube options available would be nice, maybe 19.5 and 18.5. Other than that it looks like a nice, quality frame!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
"great frame but a little behind the curve in terms of trends/ riding styles/ preferences."

@K.Wong What frames are the trend and preferences today? What's the next step for these companies to leave Standard and/or S&M behind? Seems today alot of people want a strait tube frame that is strong also. That is what Standard & S&M are offering today. They have always had great products, but now they are bringing it back into the Flatland market. What is your definition of "behind the curve" & what can you compare that too(the new frames today)?
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
"great frame but a little behind the curve in terms of trends/ riding styles/ preferences."

@K.Wong What frames are the trend and preferences today? What's the next step for these companies to leave Standard and/or S&M behind? Seems today alot of people want a strait tube frame that is strong also. That is what Standard & S&M are offering today. They have always had great products, but now they are bringing it back into the Flatland market. What is your definition of "behind the curve" & what can you compare that too(the new frames today)?

1st gen curved downtube waltz is what he's referring to.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline i_cant_ride

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
With regards to this frame being behind the curve by the time it's released, the frame should be going into production by next month. I sincerely doubt the trends will change too dramatically in that time frame

Offline Jesa

• Team
  • Hitchhiker
    • Bristol Flatland UK
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
I dont think it would matter if they made a straight tube or bendy or cross tube or whatever, just the fact standard are gona put a frame out to the mass market and sell it as a flat frame is good enough for me!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:12 AM »
With regards to this frame being behind the curve by the time it's released, the frame should be going into production by next month. I sincerely doubt the trends will change too dramatically in that time frame
I dont think it would matter if they made a straight tube or bendy or cross tube or whatever, just the fact standard are gona put a frame out to the mass market and sell it as a flat frame is good enough for me!

I agree.
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:41 AM »
You can't bank on brand loyalty alone though, they'll need something to differentiate themselves.  They've been really innovative over the years but I'm seeing a pretty basic frame.

I know everyone praises Standard quality, but S&M and a few others can match them on that front.

What's the reason to buy this one over a competitor?

Answer that and they'll have a killer product.

Offline suicidepan

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 02:37:28 AM »

I`m in touch with Rick on very regular basis and there is no way that there is a production frame that`s going to happen in a month. The freestyle forks have been in the testing stage for over a year and no pictures have surfaced. The deal is just this if you want a custom frame with outstanding quality Standard will build it, but it`s going to cost you custom frame prices $500-$1000 if you think I`m full of it I can show you my four figure price quote for my frame. Rick builds high end Made In The U.S.A. Standard goodness. For Standard to make a production flat frame and not loose there ass on it they would have to have a huge batch of frames pre ordered it`s that simple. So on that note the two Standard frames in this thread are super sweet custom one off frames and we should leave it at that instead of filling peoples heads with ideas that probably won`t happen for a very long time.         

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
   plus who gives a sh*t!   its a standard!

Offline i_cant_ride

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »

I`m in touch with Rick on very regular basis and there is no way that there is a production frame that`s going to happen in a month. The freestyle forks have been in the testing stage for over a year and no pictures have surfaced. The deal is just this if you want a custom frame with outstanding quality Standard will build it, but it`s going to cost you custom frame prices $500-$1000 if you think I`m full of it I can show you my four figure price quote for my frame. Rick builds high end Made In The U.S.A. Standard goodness. For Standard to make a production flat frame and not loose there ass on it they would have to have a huge batch of frames pre ordered it`s that simple. So on that note the two Standard frames in this thread are super sweet custom one off frames and we should leave it at that instead of filling peoples heads with ideas that probably won`t happen for a very long time.         
almost all of what you just said is incorrect. I've been in daily contact with Rick and he's all in for building a flatland frame. He plans to make a limited batch next month to see how they sell. 

Offline suicidepan

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 03:13:30 AM »

I was in contact with him today and will be tomorrow as well I gotta ask him about this one it`s sounds too good to be true.....

almost all of what you just said is incorrect. I've been in daily contact with Rick and he's all in for building a flatland frame. He plans to make a limited batch next month to see how they sell. 

Offline beard

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 06:30:24 AM »
yo,

personally, i rock that frame! flatland bykes r like skateboard decks... there all the same it's all about who u wanna support.......i'd support rick anyday.....one of the best flatland riders or riders of all time period.

here's to rick,

cheers,